Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Hoekstra
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I received my copy of Dominion yesterday, and decided to play a few games with some friends of mine. The first few were 3 player learning games, with all of us trying to figure out basic combos and strategys. The 3rd game, however, was very interesting. here's the layout:

Thief
Market
Festival
Laboratory
Adventurer
Militia
Mine
Cellar
Bureaucrat
Workshop

We had three players, J,A, and myself. A had never seen the Thief before and was eyeing it's ability to take treasure rather hungrily. J noticed that A's first few buys were Theives, and acted accordingly.
He started working on a deck consisting entirely of Markets and Festivals. I didnt notice this in time, as I was trying out a bureaucrat/Mine combo to load my deck with golds. All of J's coppers and silvers were quickly stolen by A. We thought this would shut J down, until we realized that with only 20 cards in his deck, most consisting of festivals and Markets with a few laboratories thrown in, J was drawing most of his deck each and every turn, and getting enough money and buys to buy up all of the good cards. I had been slowly working up enough money to be able to buy a Provence a turn, and had managed to claim 5 of them (poor A's deck was so clogged up with stolen coppers that he had foolishly decided to keep), until J managed to run up enough festivals and markets to buy 2 provinces in one turn. He quickly bought all but one of the provinces as well as several dutchy's before his deck filled up with enough victory cards to slow him down. I saw the battle was lost and bought the last province, ending the game J-43 me-39 A-7.

We don't let J get all the markets any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirkwb
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"...with a few remodels thrown in..."

??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gische
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkwb wrote:
"...with a few remodels thrown in..."

??

I assume he meant "Laboratories" since
1) That card is actually in the set he listed, and
2) He'd need some way to draw cards, since the Market is hardly good enough to allow you to draw through your entire 20-card deck.

Honestly, my confusion is about how he was able to buy so many 5-value cards to build this deck without buying silver or gold. I assume it flat-out requires a 5-2 start so you can get that Festival with the $+2 to get you going. Even that means you're going to need to draw the Festival with 3 coppers in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gische wrote:
Honestly, my confusion is about how he was able to buy so many 5-value cards to build this deck without buying silver or gold.

The OP suggests his initial buys were silvers which were subsequently stolen by thieves.

It seems to me hard to believe he could really manage to have all of the money stolen from his deck before the game ended, though. Maybe some people just got really carried away with thieves (anyone tell them that stealing copper from your opponents helps them?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It seems to me hard to believe he could really manage to have all of the money stolen from his deck before the game ended, though. Maybe some people just got really carried away with thieves (anyone tell them that stealing copper from your opponents helps them?).
Since they were all new to the game, I don't think any of them are into advanced stategies yet. My guess was that it lasted a little longer than average, giving ample time to lose every penny. Also, I'm pretty sure they figured out that trashing an opponent's Copper is helpful and that keeping the Copper is not while playing the game. We all learn this fairly early.

A nice Festival + Thief + Thief with some Cellars to draw them several times could easily purge a small deck of its Treasure cards, if that player doesn't replace them.

Good game, Zach. I love that each card set allows for a distinct feel for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
I'm pretty sure they figured out that trashing an opponent's Copper is helpful

Helpful to the target. What's the point of buying cards to perform actions that help the target? I guess that's "advanced", though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious now, if I thief and someone reveals copper, that needs to be trashed right? Whether or not I keep it is the choice?

Or can I decide not to keep it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
serdudds wrote:
Curious now, if I thief and someone reveals copper, that needs to be trashed right? Whether or not I keep it is the choice? Or can I decide not to keep it?

Did you look in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
serdudds wrote:
Curious now, if I thief and someone reveals copper, that needs to be trashed right? Whether or not I keep it is the choice? Or can I decide not to keep it?

Did you look in the rules?

Clearly not. But I played it right nonetheless. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.