Subject: Durin's Bane card play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my brother's elves under siege in Lorien and I have the Balrog Card down on the table (basic game, no expansion). The card says I have the option to play it for its battle effect "as if I was playing it from my hand" which is unclear to me.

- Does this mean that the Shadow Player can play Durin's Bane at any point, in or out of combat?

- Can he only play it before a combat round but in addition to another combat card?

- Or can it only be used in combat and it counts as the Shadow Player's combat card for that round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
- Or can it only be used in combat and it counts as the Shadow Player's combat card for that round?

Always played according to this. Can't play more than 1 combat card from hand for each round of battle, that should apply here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect you are probably right.

The wording on the card is a little too ambiguous for me; it almost makes it sound as if its some kind of "free action" that the Shadow Player can do anytime he wants.

It would be nice for this one to be covered by the official FAQ, it's not as far as I know.

I think for now I will assume the third, most restrictive option of requiring the shadow player to play it as a combat card during a normal round of combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
I suspect you are probably right.

The wording on the card is a little too ambiguous for me; it almost makes it sound as if its some kind of "free action" that the Shadow Player can do anytime he wants.

It would be nice for this one to be covered by the official FAQ, it's not as far as I know.

I think for now I will assume the third, most restrictive option of requiring the shadow player to play it as a combat card during a normal round of combat.

Well, I like my position based on two things:

1) Combat Effect part of the cards are only usable in battle/siege, so "free action" is out of the picture.

2) The fact that Kriegster read and replied in your other thread, but left this alone, leads me to believe he saw no correction needed cool .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Nave
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"as if you were playing it from your hand"

"As if" reads to me as - "in the same way".

So use its combat card effect in the same way as if you were playing the Combat card from your hand.

Since you can only play one card from your hand normally... if you were going to play this card the same way..

cheers

edited for small corrections
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
2) The fact that Kriegster read and replied in your other thread, but left this alone, leads me to believe he saw no correction needed cool .

Actually, I didn't leave this alone. I gave your answer a thumb.

Also, Jim's answer in the above post shows the intent of the card's wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not 100% convinced that the wording on the card couldn't be improved, but I'm quite satisfied with all the reasoning you guys give for your answer.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.