Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Investigative Committee:

Play before cards are added to a skill check.

All cards played by other players are played face up. In addition, before you add your cards to this check, you may peek at the skill cards added by the destiny deck.

[Original card: All skill cards are played face up, including those from the destiny deck.]

-Would add a little tension and bring down the strategy of draw a million yellow cards from the press room a little bit.
-Gives an interesting intrigue mechanic to political players.
-Thematically appropriate, as the investigation organizer has the ability to obscure information.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'd like to see some play results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you impose a limit of one IC played per skill check?

I don't think there's any value to this variant. If a human peeks at the cards then they will share the information with the others honestly so that the skill check can be passed with the fewest possible cards spent. Or failed efficiently if the destiny deck is particularly harsh.

If an unrevealed cylon peeks at the cards they also have to tell the truth or they will have revealed themselves, since everyone will know if they were honest when the destiny cards are flipped up. If an unrevealed cylon wants to expose themselves when IC is played they do it by playing a lot of nasty cards that are all face up, not by misleading people about the contents of the destiny deck.

That's how I see it, maybe you can convince me that I'm wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Would you impose a limit of one IC played per skill check?

I don't think there's any value to this variant. If a human peeks at the cards then they will share the information with the others honestly so that the skill check can be passed with the fewest possible cards spent. Or failed efficiently if the destiny deck is particularly harsh.

If an unrevealed cylon peeks at the cards they also have to tell the truth or they will have revealed themselves, since everyone will know if they were honest when the destiny cards are flipped up. If an unrevealed cylon wants to expose themselves when IC is played they do it by playing a lot of nasty cards that are all face up, not by misleading people about the contents of the destiny deck.

That's how I see it, maybe you can convince me that I'm wrong?

Sorry -- I was running with the assumption that the peeked at destiny cards would be unrevealable information (like a Launch Scout). You're definitely correct that without that stipulation the variant would not work well at all.

And no, I would not impose a limit of one IC per challenge. If someone really wanted to be sure, two IC's played by different players would mean that everyone reveals their contributions. I think this interaction could be particularly interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If an unrevealed cylon peeks at the cards they also have to tell the truth or they will have revealed themselves, since everyone will know if they were honest when the destiny cards are flipped up.

I couldn't disagree more: since both the destiny and IC player's cards are added face down, people would have no idea what was destiny and what was from the IC player. You would have the chance to look at the destiny deck to see if the destiny cards hurt or help. If the destiny cards would help, just say, "Oh, man. You guys are so going to think I'm a Cylon when you see this. The destiny deck added two piloting cards" and then add your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
All cards played by other players are played face up.

I misread this, thanks for pointing that out. You're right, of course, if the IC player's cards are face down as well that certainly changes things for the better. The wording is still a bit messed up since more than one player can play IC and each person's card says that the other's played cards should be face up.

I think you've convinced me that this is worth trying out. It should encourage people to play more IC cards, which helps if you've found that the humans have the edge in your games. It also makes playing IC as an unrevealed cylon more appealing. However it should be noted that there was already a reason for an unrevealed cylon to play IC, which is to convince others that you're not an unrevealed cylon.

I do like the dynamic of the second IC card played, since both players playing an IC card will know with certainty the contribution of the other and they will be able to accuse each other of being cylons. I still think the communication is a bit clunky, I can converse with people about the challenge and contributions as usual, then when I peek at the cards I have to stop.

I'm also a little concerned about the following scenario:

As far as the humans are concerned, the new IC strategy is pretty simple. Identify who has the most beneficial cards for the challenge who also has IC. They should be able to say before they peek at any cards how big of a contribution they intend on making, i.e. 'a lot', 'a little', 'I'll try to negate the destiny deck'. Since they were chosen based on their ability to accomplish this, if they fail it should be a good indication that they are a cylon. If they don't play any cards then people should be able to assume that the destiny deck was helpful and satisfied their aforementioned contribution. A cylon pretending to be a human in this context would have an incredibly hard time convincing the others that the destiny deck was so amazingly bad that their hand of useful cards was not enough and even though they played some cards to try to mitigate the awfulness they still managed to fail the check... 'gosh, I tried as hard as I could'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.