Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings all;

I'm hoping this is the right forum for this question - seemed so to me, anyway.

I'd like to sell some games via BGG Marketplace and was contemplating a 'Dutch Auction' style format - the price starts at X and then gets lowered on a regular basis until the item finally sells.

I don't think there's anything prohibiting me from dropping my prices - that should be a seller's right, no? - but would it also be okay to post the items in a trade geeklist to drum up some interest? As far as I can tell this hasn't been done before, and since I doubt I'm the first to come up with this idea I thought I'd verify that it's legal.

Thanks!
pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who? Me?
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why not, you are free to set the rules for your auctions. As long as they are clearly stated, I have not seen anything that will disallow this.

I am curious, though... are you planning to reduce the prices at pre-announced times daily/weekly? Let this be a random luck-of-the-draw thing where you change prices when you find time or feel like it and whoever notices the new price first grabs it?

It will be an interesting experience, that's for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I am curious to watch how you do this. It would be sweet to see the geek automate this, maybe if yours is popular someone will write the code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would be better off running the normal "bid more" type auction. If people are daring enough, they won't make the purchase until you drop the price below what they're highest bid would be thus losing money for you. It would require more time on your part to constantly check and edit each item instead of letting people do the price fighting for you.
I dunno. /shrug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
It could be somewhat automatic in that the sale price could be defined as $50 minus the date (within the month) that the purchasing e-mail is sent (based on Geektime - Central, I think.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
It could be somewhat automatic in that the sale price could be defined as $50 minus the date (within the month) that the purchasing e-mail is sent (based on Geektime - Central, I think.)

This is along the lines I was thinking.

I'll give this a shot soon and see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jachimowicz
United States
Millersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it called a "Dutch" Auction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Adams
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toomanyminis wrote:
Why is it called a "Dutch" Auction?
Who knew that in my lifetime I would become functionally omniscient?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been thinking of the same sort of thing for a while here.

Since this isn't a format that's been used before I think that you ought to make it as simple as possible. It would involve more work, but you could do similarly valued items, and post updates in the header, ie, 'everything on this list is now US$ 4.00 off of posted price).

Otherwise go through at predetermined times and update each item say twice a day. Though automating it sounds cool, I'm sure someone will get mixed up and not calculate things correctly. Think retail. The simpler for the buyer, the better.

I'd be interested in seeing something an auction in that format. Of course for you, it would be beneficial again if you could load stuff into a truck and make a run for a border post office.

On the other hand you could come down for Gamestorm and put everything in the Gamestorm 2009 Math Trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a normal auction would get the most money for your games. This dutch auction idea would be interesting but I doubt it would drive enough traffic to over come the cheapness of most users of this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Dutch item is good if you want to make sure that you just blow everything out. Freeing up space is more important than highest price with this format.

Plus once someone buys one item, they're into the 'buy more and save on combined shipping' mentality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
I think you would be better off running the normal "bid more" type auction. If people are daring enough, they won't make the purchase until you drop the price below what they're highest bid would be thus losing money for you. It would require more time on your part to constantly check and edit each item instead of letting people do the price fighting for you.
I dunno. /shrug

To minimize the chance of misunderstandings, you're going to want to make it a public post rather than an e-mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
On the other hand you could come down for Gamestorm and put everything in the Gamestorm 2009 Math Trade.

And then we could finally have The Battle of the Vancouvers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
autumnweave wrote:

I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
autumnweave wrote:

I would love to come down for a) Gamestorm and b) Finally proving once and for all the awesomeness that is the Real Vancouver (tm), but sadly I doubt it's gonna happen. cry

I'm already heading to Columbus in early April, and I'm also going to see Habib Koite in concert on the 28th - which is kind of a rare thing and well worth attending. Hence no Portland Thrift Raid ... er, Gamestorm Attendance.

Hence the Dutch Auction method of moving out some games. I think I have a good picture of how this is going to work - probably not next week (super busy) but the week after. Thanks for all the great suggestions on this thread - I will be employing some of them. Public notification of sale is a good one - I'll be doing that.

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.