Popular Tags: [View All]
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd put this up to the masses and see what you guys do in this scenario:

Say you're playing a game with end-of-game scoring, such as Carcassonne, Agricola, or Ticket to Ride. Often these games include a scoring track. So you finish out the last turn, then start adding to everyone's score. Let's say Player A's final score is 50 points. Then Player B starts adding up... he hits 50 and he's still got X number of farms/bonus points/train tickets to add. It's now obvious that Player B has won the game.

Do you finish counting and determine EXACTLY how much Player B beat Player A by? Or do you just say Player B has won and save player A some dignity?

I find this is something I encounter more in two-player games, when you don't have to determine everyone's placement - you have one winner and one loser. Personally, I like to know what my exact score was. On the other hand, if I obviously crushed my opponent, sometimes I feel like continuing to count up points is a form of gloating. Especially if sometime while scoring, the losing player says "Oh, you totally won."

Let's assume the losing player is not the type to have a hissy fit after losing. This is not a thread about letting your spouse win.

So, geeks, do you need to know the final score? Or do you think it's more courteous to end the scoring once it's obvious who's won?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do not need to and think it discourteous to rub the loser's nose in the loss if one does not need to. I would prefer to not work it out when obvious. Pretty obvious, by necessity, because if there is any doubt you have to ring it up.

This is not the majority opinion in my gaming group and it is not one I think worth fighting for. So generally we do score all the points up.

I note that I am likely to still want to do so when I am brand new to a game to get a better understanding of how the scoring system works and what certain sets of actions lead to pointwise. But once past that stage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to finish scoring, for the sole reason that it would be a shame to throw away perfectly good data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always count. certainly, not to rub the loser's nose in it but to see how the game played out. We tend to count the leader's points first in a game like Carcassonne so there is some degree of mystery till the end.

I think it gives you a better feel for the game to see all the scores and in some cases may even point out a design flaw if you see certain score patterns occur time and time again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stop counting when my fiancée begins to threaten that she'll never play the game again if I continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, yeah, we finish scoring...if the sissy loser can't take it, he / she shouldn't be playing grown up games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the game, and, often, it also depends on how we're tallying the score.

In a game like Agricola, everyone likes to know their score so they can compare it against their previous scores - I think in Agricola, score is often a fairly good indicator of how well you played (not always, but it's better than in some games).

Occasionally in Carcassonne, when I can look at the table and see that I've won, I'll total my score like this: When I tally final scores, I'll usually tally the other player's score first, to let them feel they're winning for a bit. Then I'll add up all the points I still have on the table at once before adding it to my score on the scoring-track. That way, I get to total my score without appearing to gloat (I am still gloating, but I'm doing it on the inside).

Generally though, I'm happy winning, without knowing the final score. In some games, the actual score isn't all that meaningful, since it can vary so much from game to game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had games end by resignation -- then we don't count things out. Otherwise, we generally count things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory G
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always finish scoring. My wife needs to know by how much she slaughtered us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hargraves
Australia
Morayfield
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I pretty much always finish the scoring. Your score can be a reference for yourself as to how well you did compared to usual. It's something to try beat next time. Also I usually have many times when I'll realise I've forgotten some particular aspect of the scoring and that the game is actually closer than you realise. But I would leave it up to the individuals in the game. If someone was trailing by a loooong way then I certainly wouldn't insist that they score it if they didn't want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only when the clear winner is me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... gloating is bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or do you think it's more courteous to end the scoring once it's obvious who's won?

Maybe it's my background as a go player, but I find it more corteous to count all the points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to avoid it in 2 player games, but with more players our game group tends to lean toward final score of all players.
Consensus is, you do not know if you are improving in some games should you never know your scores. Will note it is more relevant to male players than female players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't count points when you lose, how can you tell when you start getting better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. We just wrap up if it's obvious someone's already won. That's one of my main gripes with the use of the ubiquitous (particularly among Euro games) Victory Point winning condition for games. It tends to under-dramaticize exciting last-minute victories and/or the sudden revelatory victories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In carcassonne, we always finish out the scoring.

While one person may be dominating, a lot of smaller fields and partial cities can make a huge difference. We've had everybody do a "huh?" moment when the leader ends up losing by 3 points.

We've also had situations where one person really did blow people away. I'm reading off the scores and I'll read off from lowest to highest... when I get to the highest, I'll say "with the most points, X wins." They won't let me get away with that. They want to know the final score. NOT the winner... the losers. They don't want to be coddled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
If you don't count points when you lose, how can you tell when you start getting better?

Great observation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaadd Powell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't score. Walk away - if they've won, they've won. I also get irritated with people who need to expound on their winning strategies unasked. If someone's generally interested, sure - let them ask.

I also tend to avoid games where the scoring takes as long as the playing, as well as games where you get held in the game as artificially life supported zombie, filling a chair. Just eliminate me, and tell me to go get snacks for people ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
nachof wrote:
Quote:
Or do you think it's more courteous to end the scoring once it's obvious who's won?

Maybe it's my background as a go player, but I find it more corteous to count all the points.

If a game of go is an obvious blowout, I have frequently seen go players not bother counting it all once it's obvious (e.g. we've counted the loser's score, and now the winner's score has already surpassed it and there's a lot more to go).

By default I finish scoring unless all players show agreement that there's little point to finishing the counting. Sometimes I'm curious to do the ritual and see the exact points; sometimes I'm not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's me and my wife, then YEAH we finish scoring!

Of course, we also have a family trophy that goes on the winner's nightstand...

We need the scoring so that everything's official (it also makes gloating easier, which is the purpose of the trophy)

Edit: Trophy is currently on MY nightstand, in case anyone's interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
We always finish scoring. Especially if I lost. I like to know what margin I'm trying to overcome for the next game. I like to chart my progress. If I clearly won, I mention the final score only if people want to know it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course. Gotta see if we beat a personal best (did that last night with 88 in Yahtzee Free for All), and I always record my games here with scores.

We never score Ticket to Ride routes until the game ends. I guess because the first time we played we didn't, and we've never gotten in the habit of doing it. I figure there's also the potential of forgetting to score a route, which you wouldn't do if you do them all together at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost always. You need to know who came second and so on and (taking Tocket to Ride as the example) people often want to know "if I hadn't taken that last ticket, would I have won?".

As for rubbing noses in it, for TtR you haven't rubbed someone's nose in it until you've lapped them (score over 100 more). Done it once in TtR, and once in the German version.

Scoring for trains during the game is a must, because I need to know what the scoring difference is in order to judge whether I need to draw tickets again. The last person who suggested at the end got very short shrift. (And yes, when it's down time I check them.) Scoring tickets, start with the player with fewest points - keeps the most interest alive at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. And sometimes we find out that the clear winner was someone other than we thought it would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.