Subject: Detailed rundown of power differences to Vinci rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: small_world_vs_vinci [+] [View All]
Alain MOYA
France
EVRY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, sorry for my awkward english...
There are many differences between Vinci and Small World, but I will focus for now on races and powers.
Here's a list of Small World powers with their Vinci equivalent when it exists :

Alchimist (4) is new
Amazons (6) (+4) improves on Field General (2) (+7) : more regular troops, less bonus troops
Berserk (4) is new
Bivouacking (5) is new
Commando (4) is Weapons (3)
Diplomat (5) is more or less Diplomacy (3)
Dragon Master (5) improves on Espionage (4) : the Dragon stays in the Region he conquered thus renderng it invulnerable for one turn
Dwarves (3) is really Mining (3 or 1)
Elves (6) is new and puzzling (invincible troops ?)
Flying is new
Forest is another variation of Agriculture (2 or 1)
Fortified (3) is Fortification (4)
Ghouls (5) is both new and fun
Giants (6) is new
Halflings (6) improves on Revolutionaries (5)with two indestructible Holes-in-the-Ground
Heroic (5) is new
Hill (4) is another variation of Agriculture (2 or 1)
Humans (5) is Agriculture (2 or 1)
Merchant (2) is Currency (0)
Mounted (5) is new
Orcs and Pillaging work the same way Slavery (3) does
Ratmen (8) is Barbarians (6)
Seafaring (5) tastes a bit like Astronomy (5), only this time you can conquer the seas and lake instead of just crossing them
Sorcerers (5) is new and tricky
Spirit (5) is new
Stout (4) is Rebirth (3)
Swamp (4) is yet another variation of Agriculture (2 or 1)
Tritons (6) improves on Ship building (4) as there is no requirement that the area you attack from shares a common coast line.
Trolls (5) improves on Militia (5) because the Lairs remain after decline
Underworld (5) is new
Wealthy (4) is new
Wizards (5) feels like Port building (3 or 2), with Magic regions instead of Ports

Left on the floor are these old Vinci powers, mostly due to rules changes :
Mountaineering, Messsengers, Medicine (too automatic, according to the author), Specialization, Heritage, Livestock Breeding

To sum it up, 4 Races out of 14 and 12 Powers out of 20 are new in Small world. That seems good to me, since the Races should be more standard than the Powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed comparison. It sounds like the powers have definitely been improved in Small World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this... I was thinking about and glad someone beat me to the punch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
hills is livestock breeding

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomat is really no different to Diplomacy because you are not allowed to choose a race you attacked that turn, so essentially you still have to make the decision at the beginning of the turn even if you don't announce it.

Forest, Hills, Swamp aren't really new as they are just variations of the old Livestock Breeding and Agriculture with different terrain types.

Tritons looks to be an improvement on Ship Building as there is no requirement that the area you attack from shares a common coast line.

Trolls actually improve on Militia because the Lairs remain after decline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain MOYA
France
EVRY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. I'm really looking forward to playing this game because it seems to blend Vinci with good ol' Cosmic Encounter. Plus the Reinforcement Die adds some random fun that the original lacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatGonzo wrote:
First of all, sorry for my awkward english...

Your english seems just fine to me. Better than mine sometimes is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatGonzo wrote:
Elves (6) is new and puzzling (invincible troops ?)

Could someone expand a little on this for me? What is the Elves race ability? How can you play against a race with invincible troops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain MOYA
France
EVRY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle G wrote:
Could someone expand a little on this for me? What is the Elves race ability? How can you play against a race with invincible troops?

Well, the rules state that when the enemy conquers one of your Regions, you keep all your Elf tokens in hand for redeployment at the end of your turn, rather than discarding 1 Elf token. This means that you never lose an Elf token !
Of course, you may still be cornered or fall prey to the "too-few-peanut-butter-over-a-too-large-slice of-bread" syndrom, but I think the Elves won't feel the need to decline as soon as other races will. We'll have to wait to find out how it plays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When the elves lose a region, they do not lose any units. However, eventually it will be worthwhile for the Elf player to go into decline for one of the following reasons:

1. He does not have an in-decline race
2. His currently in-decline race is only pulling 1-2 VPs a turn, while putting his Elves into decline would be worth more.
3. His Elves are spread so thin it's not worth using his turn to expand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.