Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in possibly making myself a copy of Hotel Life and redesigning the artwork and such. And I'd like to know what kinds of changes (house rules, components, thematic elements, etc) people would like to see, to make the game better. A few possibilities that duchamp mentioned are: that some of the small cards are too fiddly and could be replaced with tiles or cubes, and that each hotel could be its own separate player board. Also, there's the question of whether the setting should be changed, though I do like the classic European hotel setting. If you own this rarity, any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this one is also on my long term to-do list.

I had made the same decisions pretty much, one board per player, and cubes to mark room upgrades. Much of that is just being practical, it's easier to make individual sized boards, I already have a bunch of cubes, and it saves from having to make hundreds of tiles.

For setting, the small countryside village home turned hotel or B&B makes sense. That way you can justify having to install the elevator, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would prefer an "anti-postmodern" setting. No internet or whatever. In fiv years, the whole would be outdated again. Rather make a "historical" setting matching the card texts. It could be back in the sixties, incl. the clothes, cars and architectural details, but made in a modern style. A Comic-style would be helpful because of the humour and exaggerations.

A picture by Peter Van Dongen

One of the flaws of Hotel Life is the lack of playability for three or five players. Huge playtesting would be necessary for a fifth player (probably less rooms in every hotel ...), for three there should be less changes necessary, but still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Please make this redesign Kwanchai!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really interested in this. Great idea, Kwanchai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, any word on this, Kwanchai or anyone else?

I was looking at this and thought it would be fairly easy to do a basic redesign. Might when I have time, though it wouldn't be anything like what the real graphics guys like Kwanchai or Orlando Ramirez could accomplish.

With that in mind, and the suggestion of using a separate board for each player, it would be pretty easy to expand this to 5-6 players by printing an extra board or two, wouldn't it? Granted, the chain reactions might get even more complex, but that's half the fun, right? Would probably need to add a few extra cards (guests and actions, obviously the improvements). If you added more guests, etc. would it be better to mark those cards specifically as 'expansion' and pull them out again when playing with fewer players just to maintain the right balance?

I'm interested to try this one out, but 100 euros on ebay is way beyond my spend limit right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i am interested in doing a redesign, but as i have not the original, how on earth should i know what to put in it?

different to some other oop games, the images or file section is very barebones on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the contents. Mostly, it's the board and cards that need to be done. The tiles all listed are just markers, showing you have a doctor, a bar, a phone, etc. I decided that I'd just make blank spots [ ] on the board and place a cube there to show I had each upgrade.

The cards are actually in the file section.

1 game board with reputation table
4 pawns
2 dice
16 marker cards
Play money

132 equipment tiles:
24 phones
24 minibars
24 TVs
24 baths
24 extra beds
4 elevators
4 saunas
4 tennis courts

16 staff tiles:
4 housekeepers (Gouvernante)
4 room service waiters (Etagenkellner)
4 receptionists (Receptionisten)
4 house doctors (Hausärtze)

46 guest cards (45 in 9 categories + 1 special card)
80 action cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solclaim wrote:

Yes, the word is: I'm working on a redesign of this in my spare time. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but it's not close to being finished any time soon. In the meanwhile, I just finished a redesign/retheming of Nexus Ops, and I'll be posting it pretty soon. But yea, I'm excited about this Hotel Life redesign. I've never even played, but the cards and everything are just so wacky and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also really keen to see the redesign!
If it did not end in a drawer inbetween or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would probably work if each player had their own player board as a hotel rather than 1 big board. You could make a separate score track and also make some tennis courts to go in between the players. This would give players more space to place the phones and minibars etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
kwanchai wrote:
solclaim wrote:

Yes, the word is: I'm working on a redesign of this in my spare time. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but it's not close to being finished any time soon. In the meanwhile, I just finished a redesign/retheming of Nexus Ops, and I'll be posting it pretty soon. But yea, I'm excited about this Hotel Life redesign. I've never even played, but the cards and everything are just so wacky and fun.
Any update on this? I played it at BBG.con last November and it was definitely a highlight of the con for me, despite being so silly and ridiculous (and the rules being kind of a mess). I'd love to help out, in any way possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a long while with no new word, guessing Kwanchai moved on to something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schandl
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For people only subscribed to this thread: Kwanchai did it! I am excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.