Mexico
Sonora
flag msg tools
|)@r+# +#¿£#¿
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tech: Strange Attractor
Research Cost: 5

Acquire Flare. Once completed, you may discard this tech at any time to reveal all Flares in the discards and in the hands of other players. If any of these Flares matches your alien power, acquire one such Flare. Otherwise, acquire one of the revealed Flares.

Comments: As Warpspace Key is the old Warp Break edict in tech format, Strange Attractor is a variant Finder focused more narrowly but more deeply on Flares. Most Flares in play are exposed, and the user either gets their Super Flare or pick of the exposed cropgoo. (The "acquire one such Flare" terminology is meant to cover multipower games and variants playing with more than one copy of each player Flare.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad. forcing people to fork over a flare of your choice is definately worth invest 5 ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this Tech, and I'm adding it to my set. I think though, I may edit it so the player using it has to gamble on getting his own Flare only, and can't just take anything... it will save time in reading what every Flare does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Thulhu wrote:
Comments: As Warpspace Key is the old Warp Break edict in tech format, Strange Attractor is a variant Finder focused more narrowly but more deeply on Flares.

Nice idea for a Tech. Isn't Time Gash a tech now too? I've only used Tech once and can't remember them all yet.

I do miss the Finder ability though, so this would be a nice one to have.

The only thing I don't like is the name "Strange Attractor". That name was already used for an edict in the Asteroids variant. Of course there's bound to be name overlap sooner or later (and anything is better than "Finder"), so it's no big deal. But, I think it was actually published in a Mayfair set, wasn't it? I could be wrong....

I might like the name better if I knew what a strange attractor is (other than some sort of fractal math thing that I will never grasp). Is the name more appropriate for moving an asteroid, or stealing a flare?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Thulhu?
Mexico
Sonora
flag msg tools
|)@r+# +#¿£#¿
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Nice idea for a Tech. Isn't Time Gash a tech now too? I've only used Tech once and can't remember them all yet.

Yeah. There's actually several, if you look at it slantwise. The Infinity Engine is pretty much Time Gash. The Genesis Planet effectively accomplishes a Rebirth, but on NuPlanet. Cosmic Field Generator is a Cosmic Zap that cannot be Card Zapped. Tech Scrambler is Card Zap, but only for Tech.

Since so many old edicts/artifacts are Tech now, Vulch should probably be updated to include "Use your power to collect any completed Tech discard." They'd still need to spend the ships to research these, but not having to sacrifice encounters to acquire new Tech would compensate for the severe reduction in artifact diversity in the encounter deck.

Rubric wrote:
I do miss the Finder ability though, so this would be a nice one to have.

The only thing I don't like is the name "Strange Attractor". That name was already used for an edict in the Asteroids variant (...) I think it was actually published in a Mayfair set, wasn't it? I could be wrong.

I don't remember Strange Attractor or the Asteroids variant as being in Mayfair, but I've only played their core set and some of More Cosmic Encounter (moons, not lucre).

Rubric wrote:
I might like the name better if I knew what a strange attractor is

Without getting all chaos theory math geeky, a strange attractor is basically an unavoidable pattern that a complex system will fall into, no matter how it starts out. One example would be that clouds forming over hot oceans on a spinning globe will always trend toward forming hurricanes and typhoons if not disrupted by land or odd air flows from more extreme latitudes. The spinning storm pattern "attracts" the system.

So anyway, I liked the idea that the pattern of Power plus Super Flare would "attract" the card and sheet to one another. Given that, I'm liking Mr. Warp's thematic suggestion that the Tech only work on a Super Flare. (Not sure if the cost should still be 5 in that case.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.