Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a two player today, had a great time ..

We played that you can hold multiple bonds in any country ( other local players here claim you can only have one in any one country, which seems to be a mis-interpretation !)but we differed on which number to use to calculate the controlling interest...

I thought you simply totalled the BIG number on the LH top of each bond which is there to tell you - easily - how much to claim as Investor ( eg 1 + 3 + 4 bonds in Germany = 8, whereas 5 + 7 = 12, so the player with 12 gets the flag...). In a multiple player game, it's "first past the post" gets the flag ...

My opponent insisted we had to total the $ amounts required to buy each bond - this was much more difficult, as the numbers are harder to see being much smaller.... and as the numbers are not a linear progression, this would necessitate either a fabulous memory ( such as my opponent has) or a tedious inspection - repeated frequently !

My inability to make the calculation correctly his way cost me control of a very nice France, which I had built patiently, because I made a arithemitic error of $1m,( out of about twenty!) adding up the value of my several bonds !

Now the rules state something like ".. the player with the greatest credit .." takes the flag ..
Any ideas ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all times the BIG number (or their sum) is enough to see which player is controlling a country.
In case of doubts you must check the money invested in the country, so the value of the bonds, and this is the value that you should always consider.

Example:
If you have Bonds 1 and 4 (sum 5) and another player has bond 5, you must check the amount invested.
You: 2M + 9M = 11M
Other: 12M.

In the case the other player will be the controller of the country.

Edit: Another example (tricky):

You have bond 8 and another player has bonds 6 and 3 (sum 9).
You: 25M
Other: 16M + 6M = 22M

You control that country although your BIG number is inferior to his.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capn Hook wrote:
We played that you can hold multiple bonds in any country

Correct

Quote:
(other local players here claim you can only have one in any one country, which seems to be a mis-interpretation !)

Again you are correct, that is a misinterpretation

Quote:
but we differed on which number to use to calculate the controlling interest...

I thought you simply totalled the BIG number on the LH top of each bond which is there to tell you - easily - how much to claim as Investor ( eg 1 + 3 + 4 bonds in Germany = 8, whereas 5 + 7 = 12, so the player with 12 gets the flag...). In a multiple player game, it's "first past the post" gets the flag ...

Again you are correct

Quote:
My opponent insisted we had to total the $ amounts required to buy each bond - this was much more difficult, ?

Your opponent is incorrect, although I can understand how he might make that interpretation from the rules. I think this question has been asked before, and may be in the FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
My opponent insisted we had to total the $ amounts required to buy each bond - this was much more difficult, ?

Your opponent is incorrect, although I can understand how he might make that interpretation from the rules. I think this question has been asked before, and may be in the FAQ

Whoa, whoa, dudes. It's in the FAQ, it's in the rulebook.

Whoever has paid the greatest dollar amount controls the nation. So you sum the purchase prices.

I can understand the confusion, because people often speak of the "big number" or the "small number" being relevant. The relevant number for interest is the large numeral (i.e., printed largely) that is the smaller number; the relevant number for control is the larger number printed small. I.e., the "3" (large printing, small number) bond gives 3 million interest and costs 6 million (small print, larger number) and contrinutes 6 million to control of the nation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
Capn Hook wrote:
We played that you can hold multiple bonds in any country

Correct

Quote:
(other local players here claim you can only have one in any one country, which seems to be a mis-interpretation !)

Again you are correct, that is a misinterpretation

Quote:
but we differed on which number to use to calculate the controlling interest...

Again you are correct

Quote:

What the hell are you talking about. Ownership is determined by who has paid the most, not by the interest rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
What the hell are you talking about. Ownership is determined by who has paid the most, not by the interest rate.

Whoa. You sure take BGG seriously. I think the question has been answered, but clearly I guess you never make an incorrect post, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:

Happy to stand corrected, looks like I've been playing it wrong.

However I have to say that I find your tone insulting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Of course I make mistakes too, but I don't tell others that they are incorrect in an authoritative tone and comment how "I can understand how he might make that interpretation" unless I am really sure myself. And since this was specifically a rules question, I'd have expected anyone who answered to be a bit more "responsible." I am sorry but the "I can understand" rubbed me in the wrong way. It's like, I understand, except not really. I am hearing, but not really listening, but I choose to comment decisively anyways. I do think it takes a certain disregard for others to hear what others are saying without really listening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.