Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I can't find anywhere in the Valley Games rules where they state that it is forbidden to put reinforcements in a space (eg New Carthage) when there is enemy CU's there, but no siege points yet. I must then assume that it is allowed. But what happens then when those armies move? Can they leave without fighting etc? And what about the rule that the attacker has to withdraw back to the space from where they came when they didn't come from anywhere?

Have I missed something?

Thanx,
Fredrik.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, and not answered in the FAQ that I can see. I would guess not, however, because of the alternate placement possibilities (with generals).

Edit: Oops, missed the no siege points consideration -- I was answering a different question.... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul vane
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My copy of 2nd Ed rules says...
10.7 Players should consider a Walled City as a space within a space. Generals and CUs can be inside or outside of the city.

So, my interpretation is, conforming to stacking limits of 2 or 5, depending on the city, you can place reinforcements inside the city. If they then want to move anywhere, like any garrison,
they can only move outside the walls, and then have to stop moving and engage the enemy.
If they, as the attacker, then withdraw or retreat,
they go back inside the city.

Does that sound right?
Having said that, I'm no expert on HRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steeledragon wrote:
Hello!

I can't find anywhere in the Valley Games rules where they state that it is forbidden to put reinforcements in a space (eg New Carthage) when there is enemy CU's there, but no siege points yet. I must then assume that it is allowed. But what happens then when those armies move? Can they leave without fighting etc? And what about the rule that the attacker has to withdraw back to the space from where they came when they didn't come from anywhere?

It's quite clear from the 2nd ed. rulebook (i did not check the VG rulebook, but it should be the same):

6.3 Restrictions on Placement
Reinforcements may not be placed inside a besieged Walled
City (see 20.4 for the definition of besieged).

20.4 Siege Status
A city is not considered Besieged until it is marked with one or
more siege points regardless of the number of siege attempts
that have been made against it or the number of enemy CUs in
the same space.

No siege points => not besieged => you can put reinforcements there

They cannot leave without fighting, because the walled city is considered as a space within a space. The replacement forms in the inner walled city space (just imagine these recruits sneaking into the city separately from all directions but they cannot leave as a military unit undetected). So to leave, they have to move through the "outer space". It's clear then, that they would have to withdraw into the inner space.

Cheers,
etagimbo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ says:

26. How are reinforcements into a walled city that exceed the within-city-walls-limit handled when there is an enemy force sitting outside but not yet successfully besieging the city? One example from last night's game: Hannibal was besieging Rome (with 5 CUs and a consul inside) and had one besieged status marker. Just before turn-end Hannibal left Gisgo with 3 troops to maintain the siege and went to a friendly PC marker for winter. Gisgo lost one troop in the winter attrition roll hence lifting the siege. Roman reinforcements into Rome are now allowed as the city is not "besieged". However, the troops now flow over and outside of the walls because there were 5 troops already there. Technically then Gisgo and these troops must battle, but how is this handled?

You only lose the siege point if ALL of your troops leave. If there is a siege point, you can get no reinforcements in the city regardless of limit. If there is not but there are opposing troops, you can get up to the city limit. You always get two consuls so if you have a proconsul (which you always will unless he died the previous turn), draw from the other 7 available Roman generals. - A.F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, that sounds reasonable.

Fredrik.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.