Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You spoke of "opening up" the holes in the bases to allow the figure pegs to fit in easier. I own the game but, unfortunately, have not yet had the chance to play it. I've read complaints about the holes being too tight in other posts and reviews. They too voiced concern over breaking the figures and I'd like to address the problem before I start trying to wedge the figures into the bases. How did you open up the holes? Did you simply use a drill to slightly enlarge the holes or did you use a different method?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gpren wrote:
You spoke of "opening up" the holes in the bases to allow the figure pegs to fit in easier. I own the game but, unfortunately, have not yet had the chance to play it. I've read complaints about the holes being too tight in other posts and reviews. They too voiced concern over breaking the figures and I'd like to address the problem before I start trying to wedge the figures into the bases. How did you open up the holes? Did you simply use a drill to slightly enlarge the holes or did you use a different method?

I just used a little nail (a "finishing nail") and shoved it in and out of the holes a few times. that did the trick for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toltesi
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Calgary Wargamer!
badge
So many games...so little time!
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
This game is a maybe recommendation for me and you’ll have to ask yourself the following questions:
* Do you want a fast, easy to set up game that can be played within an hour or two?
* Are you willing to invest time in a system that sometimes requires you to make a rules judgment call?
* Is armor slope and shell type when considering armored battles important to you?

If you answered ‘No’ to at least 2 of those questions then I cannot recommend this game to you. For everyone else though Tide of Iron makes a great game. It’s definitely got some warts, but the more I play it the more I find that I appreciate how it is both paced and plays.

I have to point out that Tide of Iron does NOT setup quicly at all. You're looking at least 10 minutes for tiny scenarios to close to 25 min. for large ones. This is a result of the need to plug the soldiers into the bases. These time estimates take into account the use of metal files to help the pieces "snap" into position on the bases. If you haven't added something like that to your Tide of Iron "kit" then you're looking at adding 5 - 10 minutes for the small / large scenarios respectively.

Therefore I humbly submit that the first questions needs to read:

* Are you Ok with having to spend 15-30 mintues to setup the game, especially when the game's new and the pieces are still have a tight fit and you're still learning the rules?

It was a good game but the setup time led me to trade it away and buy into the "Forgotten Heroes" system. I do miss the models though...I wish it would've been a 2x2 square grid onto which you put the figures into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toltesi
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Calgary Wargamer!
badge
So many games...so little time!
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
Those were negative identifiers rather than positive implying that it takes a long time to set up as pointed out in my review as well.

Yes, it's negative. I'm not implying anything...I'm making a statement...the game takes a long time to setup. Therefore I felt it important for potential buyers of the game to understand this, and I was surprised when I read the following statement that you wrote in your otherwise excellent review:

medlinke wrote:
* Do you want a fast, easy to set up game that can be played within an hour or two?

It's simply not an easy to set up game. It may play fast, but it doesn't set up fast. I think it's important for potential purchases to know that. of course this is my opinion only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would like to know your opinion after you played both expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.