Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires in Arms is a great game and our group loves it. However, it requires 8 players who can commit to at least two twelve hour weekend days a month to make it work. It is really hard to schedule, especially when people have kids or wives or jobs or a life or all 4.

We are looking for a game to replace EIA at least temporarily. The characteristics EIA has we would like to find in it's replacement are the following:

1. Negotiation/alliances/shifting loyalties
2. Group strategy sessions
3. Plays a decent number of players, somewhere in the 4-8 range
4. A minimal level of historical accuracy OR a decent theme
5. Epic scope or feel

Of course, it is impossible to do all these things in a game that isn't as big of a commitment as EiA. If I get some recommendations for a game or two that does MOST of these things I'll be happy.

We are thinking about doing a combined Europe Engulfed / Asia Engulfed game. Anyone had any experience with this? It looks like a two day commitment, and probably has 2, 3, 4, and 5 even if it doesn't hit 1.

Also looking at Dune, which is a one day game, but has 1, 3, 4, and maybe 5?

Any other ideas?

Help me wargamers!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hanickel
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe Struggle of Empires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ike to see the answers :-). I enjoyed EiA so much as a student, but nowadays it is impossible to find seven players who are willing to spend even two days on a game...

What I liked about EiA is the very formal act of creating an alliance which had a real impact on the victory points. Nobody would lightly break an alliance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like EIA what about these multi-player but still meaty games

The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition)
Here I Stand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I guess Diplomacy is too obvious to mention?

For 4 players but not more, alas, an unexpected vaguely possible choice for you might be Friedrich. At least it sounds cool and different, though I guess it is shorter and more euro/wargame hybrid than you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom!

I recently struggled with exactly the same question. EiA is very long (too long, generally) so what else could get the job done?

I have found a very happy home with War and Peace. The wealth of work done in the years since this was first released is quite impressive. Gathered all together in to the 3rd Edition Rulebook this game is doing very well, again, and has always been quite good for 4-6 players. Far more approachable than EiA, while still capturing the flavor of the times War and Peace is an excellent choice. The VASSAL module is well done, and the game itself is easy to acquire.

Good luck in your hunt! Feel free to contact me if you would like more information on this game.

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Martin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second Here I Stand. It covers all your points except possibly #2. If you're experienced with the system, I think you could play a complete game in a longish day, or the shorter tournament scenario in a longish evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
For 4 players but not more, alas, an unexpected vaguely possible choice for you might be Friedrich. At least it sounds cool and different, though I guess it is shorter and more euro/wargame hybrid than you are looking for.

Friedrich is a great game but it's not what you're looking for - maximum 4 players and only a little negotiation.

I'd third Here I Stand. I'm sure you're aware it's pretty popular with the F:AT crowd and it is a very good game provided you can find the time - which it sounds like you can. Plays well PBEM as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our players in the EiA game owns Here I Stand, that one is definitely on the short list. Thanks for all the good suggestions, keep them coming!

Anyone had experience with the combined EE/AE game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Harding Warren
United States
Arnold
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JokerRulez wrote:
Hi Tom!

I recently struggled with exactly the same question. EiA is very long (too long, generally) so what else could get the job done?

I have found a very happy home with War and Peace. The wealth of work done in the years since this was first released is quite impressive. Gathered all together in to the 3rd Edition Rulebook this game is doing very well, again, and has always been quite good for 4-6 players. Far more approachable than EiA, while still capturing the flavor of the times War and Peace is an excellent choice. The VASSAL module is well done, and the game itself is easy to acquire.

Good luck in your hunt! Feel free to contact me if you would like more information on this game.

--JokerRulez

Wow. I took a look at the link for the 3rd edition rules. That is really wonderful what you have done.

I am really trying to stop my games acquisitions, and you've made this a lot harder.

I had both Empires in Arms and War & Peace years ago and they were destroyed in a flood together with all my other AH games. I would not consider repurchasing Empires in Arms, as I know I will never find enough time or opponents, but W&P is something altogether different. What a fantastic game that was. I might just have to drop by ebay just one last time to see if I might buy this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the computer version of EiA. Some rules things I don't like, but then you can all play at your leisure.

And I would also look at Struggle Of Empires. Not as in depth as EiA but it sounds like a game your group could get finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have a very soft spot for Pax Britannica...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there UHB1,
UHB1 wrote:
Wow. I took a look at the link for the 3rd edition rules. That is really wonderful what you have done.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I hope you will give it another go, great fun! War and Peace just seemed like a game with a lot going for it, just in need of a bit of help. I'm hoping the 3rd Edition Rulebook will deliver on that promise. I have 3 scenario games in progress on VASSAL and am working towards multiple Campaign Games. Give me a shout if you get going again.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of empires is fun and we have played that before, but its so short we can play it on our regular game night. We are looking for something more in the here i stand time frame - two days or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first suggestion would be Here I Stand, but if you end up with fewer players (4) then Pax Romana is fantastic. Wild swings of fortune, alliances, epic feel, it has it all. I wrote a session report of one our sessions here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/189230.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to try a game you already own, Dune...obviously it's lacking in the "historical" aspect, but I hope the interesting theme would make up for it.

It has a lot of what you're asking for and can be finished in a day (sometimes teh game is long, sometimes less depending on how alliances shake out). Give it a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I to would recommend War and Peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Republic of Rome may be what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joan of Arc (read the FAQ)
Serenissima (variant for 5 players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second that Republic Of Rome recommendation with a good group the game shines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Byrens
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for fun with not too much downtime between player turns, HiS and Nappy Wars are both miles ahead of EiA and/or War and Peace. Go New School not Old School!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend War and Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another vote for Here I Stand, even though you already mentioned it's on your list. It sits nicely at the boundary between "epic" and "unplayable" and hits pretty much all the points you mentioned. I'm in a semi-regular HIS group that plays a few times per year and the games are always something to remember. At the same time, we can (just barely) manage the schedules to get all six of us into the same room for 8-10 hours. The only reservation I might have is that it does favor exactly six players. We played with only five for the first time in our last game, and while it certainly didn't kill the fun, we agreed that the diplomacy was a bit shallower. So if you're fluctuating a lot between 4-8, you may want some other games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.