Subject: Do I really "need" crokinole..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or is this just another phase of the board gaming addiction no one warned me about? :D

In all seriousness, I've kind of leveled off in my desire to fill holes in my board game collection. Now my attention has turned to games such as crokinole. I found myself looking at reviews, general info, session reports, pictures, etc... and now I really want a board.

I think my wife will love it. We have great fun with Pitchcar and I could imagine us sitting around with a beverage of our choice playing crokinole.

Will this phase pass or is this an itch I should just go ahead and scratch? Am I acting like the druggie or alcoholic that just needs another hit or another drink? Have I lost my mind? :D Have I turned to the wrong place for help only because I surrounded by those that are equally addicted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try to make a nice board for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Crokinole is one of the greatest inventions known to man.

Every holiday gathering sees it come down at some point,

It is perhaps the best dollar to time investment I've made in gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it is also the best dollar to time gaming investment I have ever made.

You probably need it more than $175 worth of whatever other games you might be buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calm Fluffy Bunnies
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spend the money on a nice hand made board and you will be very happy. It's a great game and a nice piece of art all rolled into one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Nikolaidis
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Everyone is from somewhere else.
badge
I Love Fried Chicken.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, my wife and family love it. Even my non board game friends love it.

I would see if you could borrow one, and have your wife try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my board on Monday. My wife loves it. My kids love it. My mom loves it. My neighbor loves it.

It was a little expensive, but I'm very glad that I bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
You should try to make a nice board for yourself.

I second that! Some great instructions on Crokinole World, and some googling will give you the dimensions you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For many years I avoided getting one, even though I had a friend who sold them. Now that he has gone out of business, I regret I didn't spend the money while I could get it for a 'resonable' price.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someday I'll buy or make a substantial board with a ditch and use the special discs that are slightly convex on one side and concave on the other. Until then I'll still get great enjoyment from my Carrom brand board with the plastic ring pieces.

Crokinole is extremely variable and endlessly playable. I'm enjoying my copy of Pitchcar (thus far without expansions). But I would say that crokinole is a much more rewarding game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BUY IT NOW!!!

(why haven't you bought it yet?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Man, I guess I will be the token nay-sayer fun-murderer whatever.

I've played Crokinole various times through the years, and it's all right, but just seems like a light filler, not bad, but nothing special.

If I never played Crokinole again in my life, I probably wouldn't even notice unless someone pointed it out. (On my deathbed in the future, someone would say "Russ, do you realize you never played Crokinole at all after 2008?" and I'd say "Um, OK, if you say so... whatever! I'm dying here, let's talk about something more interesting!")

For the money (and storage space) it costs, there are much better games for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

You are the fun vampire sucking the life out of the happy people of Crokinole-ville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Have you tried the free inflatable set? The only problem with it, though, is that you have to inflate all of the pucks as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I really don't like Crokinole much at all.

It's like playing a video game for points. Yes, there is a huge emphasis on skill - and you can improve dramatically with practice - but its doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

So if you find repetition rewarding, you might need it. I'd always vote pass on Crokinole.

Note that most Canadians find Crokinole a tedious bore thrust on us by our cultural heritage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
russ wrote:
Man, I guess I will be the token nay-sayer fun-murderer whatever. :)

I've played Crokinole various times through the years, and it's all right, but just seems like a light filler, not bad, but nothing special.

While I agree, it does something that few other games do. It implements what is essentially a party game that rewards practice, skill and tactics. Few else does that.

That said, in all ways I prefer Carrom to Crokinole.

Quote:

Yep, Carrom (among the dexterity games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get a cheapo board for around $30 on Amazon that works pretty well. That's a good way to decide whether or not you want to invest more money into it.

And yes, EVERYONE needs Crokinole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Cheesechick wrote:
And yes, EVERYONE needs Crokinole.

I have a Carrom board. I don't need Crokinole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:

You might (although it's tougher in America) be able to find a cheap one (40-60$ at a hardware store here in Canada) and it is still worth it. You don't need the best board as skill will be equally important even on a slower board.

I agree - I have seen it even in Grocery stores (around Christmas) for under $50 CDN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
russ wrote:

While I agree, it does something that few other games do. It implements what is essentially a party game that rewards practice, skill and tactics. Few else does that.

Few other games? I would have said that it implements what is essentially a dexterity game that rewards practice, skill, and tactics. Most dexterity games do that; Crokinole is not unusual in that regard.

(And most dexterity games (Carrom, Pitch Car, Tumbling Dice, Jenga, ...) seem to have simple enough rules that they can be called "party games" in the same way that Crokinole can.)

Quote:
That said, in all ways I prefer Carrom to Crokinole.

The one time I played Carrom, it seemed somewhat more interesting to me also. Still nothing I feel compelled to buy or own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.