Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Just Curious rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Second League underway and it's backstory, I was curious if Arkham Horror would be improved if there were goals to achieve besides closing and sealing gates.

For instance, Jenny's sister has disappeared and she's in town to find out what happened to her.

Could there be some way to implement that quest into the game, possibly clues being offered within an Expansion encounter deck (say, draw a blue clue token upon passage of a skill check of some type) and when so many of this other color clue token was collected she would be found?

This could add bonus points in the event of fullfilling normal victory conditions or diminish the level of victory if not accomplished.

Would it distract the investigators from the task at hand?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the next expansion (Innsmouth Horror, projected May, but, since it's FFG, let's call it 2010) is reported to have "personal stories" not sure what that's going to entail, but it might end up being something similar to what you're describing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, there should never be a game mechanic that exists solely to add to the final score. Score is just an arbitrary thing in Arkham—the most important factor is whether or not you've defeated the Ancient One, no matter the cost. Sometimes, a more close and desperate victory is the better one—and it will likely have a worse score. Arkham League has been the first time that score has had any sort of importance.

Some players play for score. Many do not. To the latter players, such a mechanic would be effectively useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The backstory for each scenario is written on FF's website just before release but it isn't on the Scenario PDF's. I for one would like some easily printable (ie. pdf) of each of the scenario backstories to read to the crew before playing. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think the idea of different objectives is not a bad idea per se, but it's just out of line with how the core game mechanics work.

The problem I think someone trying to do this would run into is how to handle the variable nature of gates and monsters. Which would be weighted more? Gates? Quests? Monster movement?

Ultimately you've always got the two built in timers working against you in the Terror Track and the Doom Track. King in Yellow adds another two tracks on top of those. Innsmouth is adding more layers to the urgency with which the Ancient One exerts control over the players and ultimately appears.

There's a lot going on! Adding some other objective would like further bungle the job of the investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
IMO, there should never be a game mechanic that exists solely to add to the final score. Score is just an arbitrary thing in Arkham

There is a score system in Arkham? Sounds like some euro enforced victory point system.

Seriously, in all the games I've played I've never calculated the score afterwards.

The personal sidequests would be a great roleplay system for a few times, but it would get boring fast cause it will be hard to change the story. Although with 48 investigators it might not be so bad. (and each has 2 stories right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game but don't all these expansions bog it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
I like the game but don't all these expansions bog it down.

It's the way I prefer to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris:

I had never known about or played with the scoring system until the present League, but it was more a suggestion to give incentive to complete the additional task and give success a purpose besides just winning a game.

My suggestion was more along the lines of implementing the back stories into the game, give the stories resonance. I like the game a lot, but it does have a sameness, in that you're visiting locations, getting clue tokens and gate diving.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.