Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first game of A&A Minis last night, and while it's does seem to be a game that I think I could get to like our initial impression left us a little under whelmed.

I have the 1939-1945 Starter and two boosters, but this has yielded a mere two low cost tanks for the Axis. We fielded 58pts vs 59pts, fielding two Tanks each, the Ha-Go and Panzer III for Axis & Cromwell & Sherman for Allies. But with the Allied tanks costing 22 & 21 pts opposed to the Axis one 9 & 13pts it was obvious who had the stronger pieces. The game lasted two turns! I could have predicted as much. The Allied Tanks simply moved up and destroyed the Axis Tanks in a single turn. With the Axis Infantry not even having enough attack dice to harm the Allied Tanks continuing was pointless.

So where did it go wrong?

Pieces available
I certainly think I need some better Axis units to play this game. And I do want to play this game. Even before I open the box I said to my mate "I bet the allied forces are stronger." Just from what units I pulled I was right. This is not a game I am looking at collecting; I just want enough units to have a fun competitive game. So any suggestions on units I should look into getting will be much appreciated.

Scenarios?
In our opening game we pretty much just put the map down, selected units and started playing. That's pretty much what we are used to doing with miniatures games like Star Wars & D&D. But should we have instead tried playing out scenarios I wonder? Maybe try that once I have more units.

Everything else I was pretty happy with. Maybe a couple of rules clarifications I need to look into. The minis are pretty good, the turrets of the tanks moving is a nice touch you don't get in other WOTC miniature games. The maps are nice and in general the game is very well presented.

Overall, being familiar with WOTC miniature games, the game play was simple enough. We both want to enjoy this game, but knowing how these games work both agreed that without a fair balance of Faction units the game doesn’t work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
I certainly think I need some better Axis units to play this game.... This is not a game I am looking at collecting; I just want enough units to have a fun competitive game. So any suggestions on units I should look into getting will be much appreciated.

Not trying to be snarky, but you've clearly missed WotC's point: selling more "collectible" garbage.

The game itself isn't too bad from a systemic perspective, but you've captured the essence of the main thing that's wrong with it in a nutshell: you can only achieve a balanced scenario if you specifically put one together yourself before playing -- if you rely on luck of the draw and point values to get a balanced/fun game, you're going to be quite disappointed. The key is to do a little online research to find units that will provide you a balance between your two sides and then hunt down those units on eBay and buy them. Do *NOT* buy into the whole obscene "sealed booster" paradigm, hoping that you'll get the right units to provide you and your buddy a fun scenario -- that route only leads to further disappointment and a waste of your money buying tons of dreck you neither want or can use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A starter set and a couple of boosters aren't likely to provide a sufficient force in most collectible games for a very interesting game, I'm afraid.

The colelctible aspect can be a turn-off for many. It's really not a good game to get into unless you plan to get into it in a major way, which is basically true of all collectible games.

You'll need to spend at least $100 to have enough stuff for a reasonable intramural battle and sveral times that for tournament play.

There are sveral reasons to buy the game: Interest in tactical World War II play, interest in competitive play, interest in collecting World War II miniatures. If you can't check at least TWO of those reasons then it's probably not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not trying to be snarky, but you've clearly missed WotC's point: selling more "collectible" garbage.

Quote:
The colelctible aspect can be a turn-off for many. It's really not a good game to get into unless you plan to get into it in a major way, which is basically true of all collectible games.

You'll need to spend at least $100 to have enough stuff for a reasonable intramural battle and sveral times that for tournament play.

Sorry, I think you've both misundertood me. I'm a CMG collector/player/fan so know all about this hobby - my BGG profile does show the CMG microbadge and you'll see Star Wars Miniatures is my only rated 10 game. I've completed every Star Wars Miniatures set (spending at least £2000) and also collect Dungeons & Dragons miniatures and other miniatures games.

But with all those other miniatures games you don't need to complete the sets to have enough minis to put together a couple of fun but competetive squads. Star Wars: Rebel Storm was very playable with a Starter and a couple of boosters. With the Starter and two boosters Axis & Allies didn't even give me two 100 points squads which is a bit of a shame.

I do plan on buying more minis, but I just want enough to play the game, which surely isn't too much to ask, but I'm not going to be as anally retentive as I am with Star Wars Minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons are somewhat different because they are character-based skirmish level games, so it's pretty easy to set up a few-on-few fight that seems OK. A&A miniatures is a unit-based game that's a little higher level and features combined arms so you tend to need a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your profile you do seem to be the Axis & Allies man to know.

Basically I want to play this game but my mate I play CMGs with needs convincing. I'm going to be doing all the buying so I obviously don't want to spend $$$ on a game that won't get played. All I need are some pointers, preferably on AXIS units, that will help me build a couple of even(ish) squads.

I have just noticed WOTC have the stat cards up, so I'll be taking a glance at those tomorrow.

Oh, and is War at Sea any good? Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WAS is surprisingly good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to love War at Sea. They took the formula for the ground game and really improved it into a good sea game.

As for bringing "balance" to the ground game without spending too much, well that's tricky. If you only have your immediate forces might I suggest you push the war back a few years and ally the Russians with Germany?

That should help for some bolstering. Otherwise I recommend looking on the A&A website and checking out the different unit cards. Figure out which ones you want and E-Bay them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I decided what the heck and dropped $60 on AAM singles. I only meant to spend $30 but got carried away on Miniature Market blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:
I happen to love War at Sea. They took the formula for the ground game and really improved it into a good sea game.

As for bringing "balance" to the ground game without spending too much, well that's tricky. If you only have your immediate forces might I suggest you push the war back a few years and ally the Russians with Germany?

That should help for some bolstering. Otherwise I recommend looking on the A&A website and checking out the different unit cards. Figure out which ones you want and E-Bay them.

I think it's a little easier to balance the sea fights without spending a lot of money, too. Give each side a battleship, a cruiser or two and some destroyers, planes and subs and make sure the points are even and you should have a pretty even fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirt Purdy
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it is the same as any collectible game or a myriad of expansions: if you love the theme, you will probably buy as much as it takes to get the full flavour of the game.

I have spent $XXXX on A&A minis (I use XXXX just in case my wife ever reads this...) and now I can have a great tilt with anyone, using all but a handful of the units available in the first five sets. I have yet to purchase any North Africa or Eastern Front units, since many are copies of the previously released ones, and with over 700 to choose from now, I won't run out of options any time soon.

On the other hand, I purchased Carcassone with the River expansion included, and never bought another ounce of it. Friends of mine have EVERYTHING to do with that game, even purchasing different BOXES of the same version, just to have that completed feeling...

The variety of units, house rules, and even using Battle Cry or Memoir 44 hexes to change the map a bit, helps to keep the game interesting. Checking A&A minis websites for different ideas helps as well. Some folks have even printed out new cards for certain units which were not being used, and giving them a lower cost. (Or a higher cost for ridiculously strong infantry: SS-Panzergrendadiers, I'm looking at you...)

A&A minis is enjoyable to me for the variety of units, the desperate feeling I get when watching my infantry trying to slow down a King Tiger, (which is an homage in some sense, to the guys who REALLY had to do it), or having a lucky shot take out my 68 point IS-2 on the second round!

If you don't have the cash or desire to collect at least a nice variety of units, then you will not get the full feel the game was designed for, and that is unfortunate. Perhaps a parallel example would be playing Risk 2210 without the commanders/cards, or ATTACK! without the expansion. Kinda empty and boring...

Good luck to all you grognards and gropos out there. Give 'em heck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the cards have been officially recosted or had other changes. Check out the AAM site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.