Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I am in a multimedia contest at my school, and one category I am entering is photography. I wanted to have some kind of involvement with board games, and minimal photoshopping is allowed.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what game and what kind of shot. I'm thinking Carcassonne, but I don't quite know what to do for it. Any ideas?

Thanks
/Friff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There are lots of great ways to go with Carc...

Meeples are a lot of fun on their own to mess around with actually. Look through all the great meeple photos on here and you'll likely get some fun ideas.

The tiles can get pretty busy, so if you do that consider how you are focusing or it might get a little overwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much artistic advice here. Frankly, you can find subjects far more interesting than a board game, but it might take some work...

Put the camera on a tripod. If you have no tripod, fashion something for the camera to sit on.

Use the lowest ISO.

Turn the flash off.

Set the white balance manually, or at least to the type of lighting you are using.

Play around with the lighting. move lights, or use white posterboard as a reflector to brighten up dim areas.

Adjust the exposure in the camera so it comes out right. This can be done with exposure compensation. It may be in a menu if you have a crappy camera, or there is probably a button for it if it is decent (will usually have +/- on it). If you don't know how to do it right, if you have a histogram available, the histogram shouldn't go past the right edge (too bright), or past the left edge (too dark). If you have Photoshop, or some decent image manipulation program, it is better to expose the image a little bit more than is necessary - it's easier to pull the exposure back, and looks better, than if you have to brighten the photo.

In photoshop, if you have a recent version, curves is probably the first thing you'll want to use. You can control tones, making them lighter or darker where you see fit. Next, is something simple. If you want a little boost in contrast, do an unsharp mask with a radius in the 100 pixel range, and do it 5-20% or so.

Levels/USM for contrast isn't going to be unreasonable photoshop usage, and it will make it pretty easy to make your image more vivid.

On the shot itself, try and keep it simple, focused (conceptually, as well as in focus). Here's an OK photo of some bits from carcassonne:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaptainkobold/101348899/

Here's a photo of mine, which is minimally photoshopped (B%W conversion only). No, there's no board game to be seen here ;)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/54517169_e433bed516.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Slaven
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a cat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.