Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right, we are doing a Mabiweb tournament of In the Shadow of the Emperor! My hope is to get 16 players for the 1st round, then 8 advance to round 2, then 4 advance to the final round.

The first round will be a 3-game round-robin format. Based on your place in each game, at the end all players will recieve a 3-digit number from lowest to highest place (example, if I finish 1st, 3rd and 2nd, my number would 123). If multiple players tie at the cutoff mark, ties will be broken by player's total differential from the winner in their games. Further ties will be broken by total points scored by those players. FURTHER ties will be broken by total leftover money.

The second round will be a 2-game round-robin format. The same method as the first round will be used for determining the final 4 (except it will be a 2-digit number instead of 3), including the tie-breakers.

The last round will be a 1 game match. Winner takes all!

What are you playing for? Bragging rights for now.

Who should join? Players who are serious about playing the game and will not be going away for multiple weeks at a time, or who don't check their games at least 1 or 2 times per day, and who won't throw the game halfway through if they are losing. I realize people will go away for weekends, or maybe even have a week-long vacation planned, so I'm just asking that people that will be unable to move for extended periods of time not sign up.

Also, while I'd like serious players, I also would like friendly players. In other words, NO JERKS! That's not to say you can't play cutthroat, but don't play cutthroat and then say "ha, you suck!" or anything like that. Let's keep it positive! After all, it's just a game.

I'm envisioning each game could take a good month at least, so patience will also be key. This tournament will probably last well into the summer. But hey, we've got the time, right?

The current list of players is as follows (which I will update as people sign up):

1. jerkules
2. Ladislaus
3. Meerkat
4. verandi
5. sedjtroll
6. edbonny
7. shieldwolf
8. GamingWench
9. QBert80
10. jarredscott78
11. The Barefoot Killer
12. olivier6
13. BigDLishus
14. ratpfink
15. johnnyjj22
16. randast
17. micklizzy
18. apple_sauced
19. i97sala
20. Cubillas
21. Csigs
22. stlkt
23. dilsonfilho
24. Gorgoneion
25. Jonbone
26. Luk Van Baelen
27. Charlemagne
28. StefanoD
29. TheCat
30. Talonz
31. Asperamanca
32. AnttiT

Once we get 16 (hopefully), I will start things up. However, if we get a lot more than that, I can make some other arrangements. All updates and such will be posted in this thread. Feel free to ask questions as well. I think that is it for now, but I'm sure I'll remember something else shortly.

Oh, if you or anyone you know wants to join, send me a geekmail! I'd rather keep this forum clear of "sign me up" posts. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dilson Filho
Brazil
Salvador
BA
flag msg tools
Re: Official Mabiweb Tournament thread
ok Kevin, sign me up.

Dilson Filho (dilsonfilho)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hei, please sign me up.

This was a marvellous idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fried
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, if there is space: Jonbone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I still get in? [ElVanbee]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, we're up to 29 players so far! And here I was just hoping to get 16!

Now, with 3 more we can get to 32 and I think I'll cut it off there. So anyone still interested, send me a geekmail.

FYI, the tournament won't start until at least Monday though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Dab
Italy
flag msg tools
Great, please sign me up.

Stefanodab

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This tournament is going to run for about two years. At least I'll be out in the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
This tournament is going to run for about two years. At least I'll be out in the first round.

Yeah, maybe a single elim tournament would be better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:

Yeah, maybe a single elim tournament would be better...

I'm not against that, but would suggest we bump it up to 4 rounds then with 32 players. However, if 4 really good players ended up in the same game, 2 would get knocked out. Likewise, if 4 mediocre players ended up in the same game, 2 would move on.

I'll put it to a poll.

Poll
Would you rather play the tournament as set up (1st round is 3 games, 2nd round is 2, 3rd round is 1) or just play a 4-round single-elimination tournament?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
As is
53.3% 8
Single Elimination
46.7% 7
Voters 15
This poll is now closed.   15 answers
Poll created by jerkules
Closes: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:00 am

Oh, and if we leave it as is, the first round would eliminate 1/2 the field, then the 2nd round would cut it from 16 to 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an excellent resource for randomly grouping up the participants:
http://random.org/lists/

Just add the username of each participant (one per line) and then press the "Randomize" button. The first four players (1-4) from the newly randomized list would then be in Group A, the next four (5-8) in Group B, and so forth until all 32 players have been assigned to the initial eight groups (A-H).

Just my 2 cents. Good gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, registration is now CLOSED. I will set up the first round games tomorrow after I give everyone a little more time to weigh in on the "multiple games" vs. "single elimination" poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see...

With 32 people now in the tournament, we would need 4 games for the first round in the original format.

How we jump from 16 players in the 2nd round to 4 in the 3rd isn't clear, because your original description suggests 3 round-robin games for 16 players, cutting down to 8.

Maybe you can clarify on that. As I see it right now, we'd have
(games each round): 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 10 games to play.

I'm not long of mabiweb, but especially with players in different time zones, you have to assume that each player can make about 1 turn per day (as a minimum). Let's be generous and say it's 2.

Each game turn consists of roughly 10 actions each player has to take. So that would be 5 days for each single game turn.

The game goes for 5 turns, that would be 25 days for a game. I know that some games might be considerably faster, but while we don't have to wait for parallel games to finish (a player can be in more than one round-robin game at the same time), we have to wait for the slowest players to finish the tournament round.

By now (this is thinking in process) I assume that all round-robin-games for a tournament round are in parallel, it's just not realistic otherwise.
If we do it that way, the advantage of a single-elimination versus the round-robin format becomes pretty small - because we can do the round-robin games in parallel anyway.

This takes away the main advantage of the single-elimination.

Therefore, I vote for the round-robin-PARALLEL format. A round-robin-CONCURRENT format might really take a year to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...I still won't vote for "as is", because I'm not entirely clear what "as is" is.

I'll be happy to join the tournament however it works. I'm not in a hurry, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I am mistaken, jerkules' intention is to take the top 2 players from each of the eight groups playing in Round 1 (the quarter-finals), thereby leaving 16 players available for Round 2 (the semi-finals). The semi-finals would have 16 players playing in four groups and thus, from that round only the top 4 rated players would advance to Round 3 (the finals). The final match would be a one game, sudden-death affair.

Perhaps jerkules might consider updating his initial post to reflect the final "rules" for the ItSotE Supreme Overlord Championships. Anyway please remember that the initial thought was that there would be only 16 participants at the start of the tournament; things have changed since then.

All that said, Asperamanca, I believe that your suggestion for playing parallel games during the quarter- and semi-final rounds is not a bad idea (but that's just my 2 cents). However, I'm in no hurry either.

Edit: Added final comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the round-robin games be played against the same opponents? (Maybe I don't understand the word round-robin fully).
If that's the case, it would make parallel round-robin less interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round-robin would be random (different) opponents for each game, although there may be some overlap.

Doing the first round games concurrent would be fine by me if no one else minds. I think I will start the first games today, 2nd later in the week and 3rd by the end of the week.

And since the voting is so close, I will change things to a hybrid of the proposed methods.

THIS IS HOW THE TOURNAMENT WILL RUN

Round 1: 3-games each, round-robin style, top 16 advance.

Round 2: 1-game each, top 2 from each game advance.

Round 3: 1-game each, top 2 from each game advance.

Round 4: 1 final game, Winner declared.

All pairings will be random in all rounds. I will geekmail you shortly once I create the first games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here are the first game matchups. I just sent emails to everyone with the passwords, so hopefully I didn't mess anything up.

Game 1A

verandi
BigDLishus
Asperamanca
GamingWench

Game 1B

Luk Van Baelen
QBert80
Cubillas
StefanoD

Game 1C

dilsonfilho
jarredscott78
johnnyjj22
Csigs

Game 1D

Talonz
AnttiT
olivier6
edbonny

Game 1E

Charlemagne
micklizzy
apple_sauced
Gorgoneion

Game 1F

TheCat
stklt
Ladislaus
i97sala

Game 1G

randast
jerkules
sedjtroll
Jonbone

Game 1H

ratpfink
The Barefoot Killer
Meerkat
shieldwolf

People's usernames on Mabiweb aren't always the same as BGG (in fact, I am kwarrend there), so don't be surprised if you see someone else join your game. Also, a few have already told me that they may be in and out over the next few weeks. I would recommend everyone just keep in touch with each other in the game note-board and say "hey, I'm going to be away for a few days" or whatever. There is no rush on these games, but like I said at the get-go, extended vacations (more than a week or so) will drag things out considerably.

Finally, check back into this thread on occasion in case anything changes or for results and such.

Other than that, good luck everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I clearly didn't know the meaning of "concurrent".

Thanks for organizing the tournament, and have fun everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, still interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the games have started except for 1C. They are waiting on dilsonfilho to join. I've geekmailed him a few times, so if anyone knows a better way to get a hold of him, please do so!

I'll give him a few days to sign up, but otherwise I'll find a replacement player.

Once all the games have started, I will set up the 2nd games and send out the passwords for those as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacopo D.L.
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If dilsonfilho will not play, I would be happy to be the replacemente for him ! You can contact me here:

jacopodeluca AT gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dilson Filho
Brazil
Salvador
BA
flag msg tools
I enter every day in Mabiweb, but I dont received any messages with password. what is the password ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had sent all emails with passwords via geekmail. I guess it got through though, cause dilsonfilho joined the game and now all tournament games are officially under way!

I will give everyone a few more days before I start the 2nd games of the 1st round.

Sorry to anyone I geekmailed and said you could take the last player's place. Technically it was still his for the taking, and he took it.

Good luck everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:
I will give everyone a few more days before I start the 2nd games of the 1st round.

Any good reason why you should wait to start the next game[s]?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.