True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a film club where we discuss movies that you can get at Blockbuster (or similar venue). Our first movie, which we plan to start discussing on Monday, will be Serenity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So did anybody watch Serenity and would like to discuss it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it was awesome!

This film club is easy. I don't even need to get a movie, I am already prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I thought it was awesome too!

What about the rest of you Chit Chatters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't watch it this weekend, but I can say that when I saw it it was indeed awesome!

I like this club. Not so snooty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's 3 awesomes so far! Are there any dissenters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a movie in which the main protagonist straps the dead body of his friend to the nose of his spaceship. Me likey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was 'meh' myself, but that's with never having seen the TV series. That would probably improve my rating quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
I thought it was 'meh' myself, but that's with never having seen the TV series. That would probably improve my rating quite a bit.

Are there any specific parts that made it 'meh' for you as aopposed to awesome?

I also did not see the TV series before I saw Serenity. I did see the series after and thought the series was pretty good but still 'meh' as I don't really like TV but that didn't affect my thinking that Serenity is awesome. So, if you'll forgive my probing....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Don't like how we still know nothing about Shepard and the origin of the reavers wasn't as horrific as I would have liked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
Don't like how we still know nothing about Shepard and the origin of the reavers wasn't as horrific as I would have liked...

Um, the whole point of the movie was about the origin of the Reavers. Were you looking for something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I thought that it was good, but that it would have been so much better split over 3 or 4 seasons of the tv series. I would liken the experience to reading a 400 page book that does nothing but develop the characters for the first 380 pages and then rapidly wraps up the story in the last 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

Are there any specific parts that made it 'meh' for you as aopposed to awesome?

I also did not see the TV series before I saw Serenity. I did see the series after and thought the series was pretty good but still 'meh' as I don't really like TV but that didn't affect my thinking that Serenity is awesome. So, if you'll forgive my probing....
Just watch the hands mister.

I just watched the entire movie feeling like I was missing something from not seeing the series. To be honest that was more a product of my mind than a failing of the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Those were separate thoughts. I just thought that where they had the reavers coming from was a bit bland. I was looking for something more shocking. Its like I went hoping for bacon and only got jello.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
I just watched the entire movie feeling like I was missing something from not seeing the series. To be honest that was more a product of my mind than a failing of the movie.

Understood. I also had a nagging feeling in the bak of my mind that I might be missing something by not having seen the series. Then I saw the series and answered myself, "Nope!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
Its like I went hoping for bacon and only got jello.

And now we must either part ways or fight a duel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
space is the place
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought it was pretty damn cool myself. I too wass bummed about the whole Shepard thing. I would have like d to go more into detail there. Also, the blue glove people should have come back. There was no additional info on them.

Is there a director's cut of this film out ther anywhere?

Oh yeah, and gratuitous nudity, not enough of it. Honestly, I prefer movies where not every body is all pretty and stuff. I mean, I like my fantasy to be as realistic as possible, and, you know, the real world is not full of pretty people, but if your gonna have all the main characters to be pretty people, they should be more nekid more of the time.

This whole pretty people thing is just one reason why I like shows like deadwood and the wire and 6 feet under more then firefly.....but I digress. Having said all that. I really enjoyed Serenity and was very entertained by it. I really though the last 10 seconds or so of the film before the credits began to roll was funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

We can no longer be friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
I thought it was 'meh' myself, but that's with never having seen the TV series.

Same here. I wanted to see what the hub bub was all about, so I rented it (this was a while ago, so I'm fuzzy on specifics). I thought it was good, but nothing special. Rather forgettable.

All I could think about when I saw the lead actor was, "Hey, it's that guy from that show. He was that girl's boyfriend." Couldn't think of any names or shows, but I know I recognized him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my kind of film club. I'm on board for this!

I thought the movie was very well done. An excellent way of bringing some closure for fans of a series that didn't really get a chance to begin with. I will expound with a slightly more details in my Firefly review thread.

Still, overall it was awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:

I don't know about that. For me, a big brother-type government thinking that it knows what is best for you, forcing it on you, and then fucking that up qualifies as horrific for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

We can no longer be friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming I counted correctly, we have 6 who thought it was awesome and 4 who thought it was 'meh'.

Hmm... maybe this calls for a poll:

Poll
Did you think Serenity was awesome?
Yes
No
      23 answers
Poll created by quozl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not yet seen the series when I saw the movie either, my impression was that it was still a good movie but that I would have gotten more out of it and been more emotionally affected had I known the characters better through the series. It was clear that they were hinting at subtext not fully explorable in the movie.

So, I thought it was better than "meh" but not fully appreciable w/o the series.

After watching the series, I appreciated it more but was sad that certain things were spoiled for me in the series. (Like watching it and knowing who was going to bite the big one later and knowing what reavers "were")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time, can we cut out all the boring discussion and jump right to the "awesome or not" poll? I'm a busy man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.