Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer Bunnies and the Journey to Jupiter is very similar to another recent release, Munchkin Quest. Both are board games based on card games. And both make the mistake of taking a light-hearted, enjoyable filler game and turning it into a nightmare.

The problem with Journey to Jupiter is that the existing Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot card game was already a full game. Journey to Jupiter is not a new game, but rather more stuff added on top of the original card game. All Journey to Jupiter does is add an extra round of space combat after every round of the original card game. The new board and pieces are of nice enough quality, and some of the new cards are quite humorous, but it is really just the original game with more tacked on.

Well, I already had enough Bunny with the original game. After adding several expansions and watching the enthusiasm of myself and fellow players decrease with each new rule or die, I went back to the basic Bunny (blue+yellow) and enjoyed it a lot more. I had no desire to add any boosters back in. The core game was what I fell in love with, and the additional rules of the expansions do not equate to additional fun.

However, the appeal of a board game version of Bunnies got me to buy yet another Bunny product. And boy is this game long! A simple two-player introductory game took well over an hour. A very, very, very painful hour.

The main problem with this game is that the addition of all the space cards means you draw fewer bunnies. Getting some bunnies to put into space and keeping them alive long enough to launch them becomes the biggest challenge. There is definitely an imbalance between the amount of bunnies and the amount of things that can kill a bunny in this game.

The second problem is that when someone has a really good hand and gets the Bunny triple, they get an advantage in both space and on the ground, causing them to be a run away leader. In a multiplayer game, this would cause everyone to gang up on the leader, but in a two-player game, all you can do is fall farther and farther behind.

I know this game will fill a niche audience somewhere, but I warn anyone who is looking for a two-player game to stay away from this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
Killer Bunnies and the Journey to Jupiter
Well, I already had enough Bunny with the original game. After adding several expansions and watching the enthusiasm of myself and fellow players decrease with each new rule or die, I went back to the basic Bunny (blue+yellow) and enjoyed it a lot more. I had no desire to add any boosters back in. The core game was what I fell in love with, and the additional rules of the expansions do not equate to additional fun.

While I'm a big Bunny fan, a full compliment of expansions (and even the Journey to Jupiter) is simply too overwhelming for regular gaming sessions. (It's great fun at conventions, though.)

However, when cutting out expansions you've GOT to at least include the RED booster so you can have the Red bunnies. We usually go up to Orange since we really like the addition of the Pawns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I've got all the Killer Bunny games (thanks to my Bunny obsessed brother) and the boardgame has been on my radar since it came out. However, about the time when the boardgame came out, I was beginning to burn out on Bunnies. So I held off buying it. While I appreciate the well written review I still think this could end up being a fantastic line of games.

While I don't like playing KB's with ALL of the expansions, I feel up to orange is necessary. It add the right amount of cards, allows you to buy weapons and dead bunnies, and overall gives the game more options. Honestly, I don't think I could ever go back to the base set, unless I was teaching a new player. I can imagine the same thing holding true for the boardgame.

I felt the Munchkin conversion from card to boardgame was actually very good. It gave a shallow card game some really fun mechanics...while maintaining the silly theme. It won't win any awards, but I would certainly rather play that than the card game. There is just more to it and the experience is more enjoyable. I have a feeling Killer Bunnies could be a solid conversion as well. I plan I buying it sometime this year...hopefully my gut feeling is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play Killer Bunnies with cards from all the expansions, but I do remove everything related to the Zodiac cards or Mysterious Places cards, and then an appropriate amount of Choose a Carrott, Feed the Bunny, and Dolla cards to balance out the deck. I also remove some of the more bizarre/complicated cards that nobody really cares for.

I agree that the red and orange decks are must-adds...purple is also really good. We like playing with pawns and rank too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Interesting - where I am very "bunnied out" thanks to all of quest's expansion, I actually found this quite enjoyable. I was expecting to hate it when my son decided we should buy it as our new game but I actually found the space part fun (and the ground stuff almost an aside)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.