Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Bianca and I were looking for something fun and simple to play and I noticed Portobello Market. It was looking at me saying "its been so long!". Who am I to argue with talking boardgames? So we pulled it down and set it up. It really had been quite a while so I had to peruse the rules to freshen up how to play.

Bianca went first and she quickly filled a street with 4 actions. I went next and decided to try a slightly different tactic, using my 3 to fill a different street. Bianca went again and used her 3 to fill a street in the same district as the first one. I then moved away a bit and decided to spread out, knowing I'd get the victory points back at some point. Bianca quickly moved back and finished up her district. With all her stalls around one market, I quickly threw my 2 in there and scored the district. This was huge for 2 reasons:

1. It stopped her from scoring a ton of points.
2. I got rid of a 2-action tile and got a 3.

As the game progressed, we went back and forth on the score. We both spent a couple turns drawing shoppers to score streets. Most of this was done to hurt the other player with very little scoring done to help ourselves. All of the shoppers ended up being placed early which meant the Lord came out. He was placed on the bottom right of the board with no stalls on any of the roads he was watching over. Bianca was going to put stalls down, but thought better of it since I could easily counter.

Bianca scored both her 2 and 4 district on consecutive turns. She racked up almost 70 points in those 2 turns to not only shrink my massive lead but actually surpass it.

Coming into my last turn, I was down by 6 points. I quickly moved the Bobby over to the Lord's district and dropped my last stall. I had to give Bianca a point for the street, but I scored 9. In the end, I won by 2 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report.

We purchased this game only yesterday. How is this ranked in the 600s!? This is just a great, quick, strategic game. I can't wait to get it to the table more with my wife, introduce it to others and bring it to my game group.

A little, low-ranked gem.

Quote:
With all her stalls around one market, I quickly threw my 2 in there and scored the district.

I'd probably be sleeping on the couch that night if I did this. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nmadd wrote:
We purchased this game only yesterday. How is this ranked in the 600s!? This is just a great, quick, strategic game.

It's quite good with 2, but bad with 4. Serious kingmaker problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.