7 Posts

Neue Heimat» Forums » Variants

Subject: cut out the elements of luck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Volker Maas
msg tools
mb
to all those geeks who hate to deal with elements of luck "neue heimat" offers some variants that leave the outcome of the game to your decision completely or at least get rid of the "lost turns" due to the blank roofs.
Klaus Zoch himself suggests to just take those roofs out of the game but I prefer the way Ryan Gatti describes:

"but if blank roofs are treated as score 0 (or some other variant), this is an excellent game (...). Played it using two blank roofs as 0 point additions (no lost turn) and ending the game after 12 roofs were placed "(rgatti)

This indeed adds new aspects to the game, that i really enjoyed. On behalf of Chili Spiele I'd like to thank Ryan for that comment and I am hoping to publish this variant of gameplay in the next official set of rules in case Ryan allows us to.

Gaming is about having fun and about having even more fun after being inventive: thanx a lot so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When can we expect the rules update?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hornburg
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asti_spumante wrote:
to all those geeks who hate to deal with elements of luck "neue heimat" offers some variants that leave the outcome of the game to your decision completely or at least get rid of the "lost turns" due to the blank roofs.
Klaus Zoch himself suggests to just take those roofs out of the game but I prefer the way Ryan Gatti describes:

"but if blank roofs are treated as score 0 (or some other variant), this is an excellent game (...). Played it using two blank roofs as 0 point additions (no lost turn) and ending the game after 12 roofs were placed "(rgatti)

This indeed adds new aspects to the game, that i really enjoyed. On behalf of Chili Spiele I'd like to thank Ryan for that comment and I am hoping to publish this variant of gameplay in the next official set of rules in case Ryan allows us to.

Gaming is about having fun and about having even more fun after being inventive: thanx a lot so far!

This looks excellent. I like the idea of not losing a turn especially.

Going to try this next time. Hopefully today, but clarifying question:

Game ends only after 12 roofs are placed? Or when 2 rows completed or 12 roofs placed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Maas
msg tools
mb
Cmon folks - do I have to quote Obama?
Do we obey to any rules there are?

If there are rules it is always a good idea to check out if they suit your needs or facilities. And in case they don't: go ahead and think about it and feel free to change them to your convenience! But think of who you are. The only rule that shall not be changed at any time is: be true to yourself and your neighbour - it's all so easy and all the same whereever you go. (sic) (bit drunk)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, I don't think you've considered the devastating consequences of this change. Not for Neue Heimat,
but for me.

Ryan: "Hm, this rule in this game seems a little unbalanced, maybe we should tweak it a little."
Me: "Meh. I'm sure the designer had a good reason for the rule, let's just play it as written."
Ryan: "C'mon, it's pretty obviously flawed as written."
David: "Yeah Matt, don't make Ryan write the designer again and show him the right way to play."
Me: "Oh balls."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asti_spumante wrote:

I'm glad to hear that you found the variant to be as enjoyable as I did. You are definitely welcome to publish this variant in the next official set of rule (and while I'd greatly appreciate a copy of the newly published Neue Heimat with the new rules, that is by no means a requirement ). Thank you for making this excellent game available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiny Epic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
Another variation of this is to add 2 "0" roofs and let the auction winner decide whether to place it or discard it.

This adds another slight layer of strategy and player control without upsetting the game balance too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.