Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Kelly
England
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are just three of the excuses our small group has had in the last few weeks. They're more infuriating the later in the day they arrive - especially if they mess up the numbers. I'm sure there are equally feeble excuses out there; time to share them.

I'm going to have to pass on tonight's drink - I have to drop off a couple of fancy dress costumes that we used at a murder mystery evening on Saturday, and I'm not going to get a chance to go there before 4.00pm - the shop is at Old Street so I'll probably go there and then head off home (sorry). Half a dozen tube stops away from the meet!

Unfortunately I can’t make it for Axis and Allies sat. Rather disappointed – but I’m obliged to help out a friend at home. 36 hours beforehand - only been in the diary for 5 weeks!

Sorry have to cancel tomorrow, I am going on holiday on Wednesday for a few days and need to sort out stuff.15 hours before, same event as above - only been in the diary for 5 weeks. About the same time the holiday was booked. Surely a bloke shouldn't need more that twenty minutes to pack the night before!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks...sorry to hear of it.

My group (both for Board Games and LAN gaming) has faced similarly lame, rude, last-minute and goofy excuses, as well.

I quite enjoy tearing apart the excuses so that the individual in question ends up backed into a corner (figuratively speaking) and has no excuses left for their lame decision to skip out. LOL Good times.

I once called a close friend to do something early on a Saturday morning only to be told that "I can't do anything today, I'm flying out tonight at 11pm for a trip." And what was even sadder was that there was nothing else on his plate for the entire day, so it's not like he was swamped either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are complaining about gamers who need to help out a friend in need and a gamer that needs to sort some personal problems out? I think you should cut these guys some slack. They don't sound like feeble excuses at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other end of these might be someone like me. I have a relatively rare and serious health problem (not cancer) and I am never sure whether I will make it to any event. I have had 'symptoms' start up 30 minutes before I would leave for a game and force me to cancel.

I would MUCH rather be gaming, but sometimes life just interferes. Having had other people cancel on me at the last minute (prior to my current condition) I KNOW EXACTLY how frustrating it is. Truly. I am very sorry for every time I have had to cancel or not show up. I would rather be gaming, healthy or not.

Hopefully this sort of thing does not happen to us very often (cancellee and canceller).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly the same, but I use to run a gaming con. I had a GM once that promised to help out running a couple RPGs become a no show. So I had to cancel his event. When I got a hold of him afterward, his excuse was...

...some gaming friends came into town, so we hung out and gamed all weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sorry, my wife is going into labor."
What the hell? What kind of lame excuse is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neverwhere68 wrote:
"Sorry, my wife is going into labor."
What the hell? What kind of lame excuse is that?

Exactly Anthony. She is pregnant you already did your part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're complaining that these persons told you they weren't showing up?

As opposed to them simply not saying anything, and leaving everyone on the hook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most excuses in our group are genuine, so no problems about that. It's the timing that annoys people.

eg. Game night. Regular meeting time. On the phone to the friend whose house we game at whilst stood on his doorstep with the rest of the group, and we've been knocking for 10 minutes.
"Sorry, I'm on holiday, didn't I mention it?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kelly
England
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have said that these guys are all friends. I wasn't really complaining about them. We feel obliged to take the pee out of them; it is all in good fun.

The low quality of the excuse and the lateness of it just ramps up the extent of the rib taking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of people in my group who make awful excuses for not coming to gaming session. Their timing is rubbish too. Yesterday, for example, one of my mates phoned that morning to ask if we were gaming, I said yes, so he said he'd be there in an hour. Three hours later he sent me a text message to vaguely say that he had "work to do", which loosely translates as "I'm too lazy to go to your house". The thing that annoyed me most about it was that we were holding off on all the "big" games until he got there so that he wouldn't miss out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.