Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
At around the time we moved to BGG 2.0, we got a new layout for game pages. It doesn't seem to be all that different from the main page: A bunch of different panels, displaying different feeds. Why don't we have a 'Customize Game Page' option, to be able to edit them?

The current defaults aren't killing me by any stretch, but I can't say I find them comfortable. Let's go, from top to bottom, over the layout, using the Magic Realm page as an example:

Game Entry and Information: They deserve to be at the top. No argument here.

Description: In this case, the description is 4 paragraphs long. Great for new users but... does the power user want to scroll that much?

The 'More Info' section is long, and takes a lot of real estate. I get to see, in great detail, the issues of 'The General' that talk about the game. I also get to see every single microbadge that was ever made for the game. Over a screen worth of information that most people might only want to read once, and is almost pointless to new users. It should be minimized.

Sale information: I don't really want to look at this, but I see how it's something people might want to maximize. Leave it like it is in the defaults, but let me shrink it by default.

Images are great for looking at a new game, but this section uses quite a bit of space. If it was me, I'd minimize it, especially since we have a link to browse images at the very top of the page.

Forums: IMO the most important part of the page following the base sheet. And yet, hidden all the way down here. Anyone looking for rules information has to scroll through about 5 screens worth of text to get here. It's not even in the bottom, so that we can get to it easily: It's hiding in the middle.

Recommendations: The current recommendation engine doesn't really help me very much when looking at purchases. I'd not get rid of it, but I wonder why it ranks so close to the Forums in importance.

Files: Files are great and useful. They probably deserve to be higher up, but minimized. Look at how much space the long descriptions on some files occupy. Most major games have a lot of files anyway: Looking for the file we want through this interface, sorted by Date, is rarely convenient.

Geeklists: Given that many geeklists don't really talk about the game in a meaningful fashion, I've not found this section useful at all. It deserves to at least be minimized.

Statistics: A core part of the page for me, if just for the geekbuddy analysis link. And yet this is under geeklists!?! It also has trading information, that would seem to go well with the shopping tabs... and yet, this 4 pages away from it.

Linked Items: It's hard to say much about them, since all they cover right now is expansions. If that's all it did, it'd belong near the description, not in the bowels of the page.

Web Links: Typically useless IMO, so they really belong down here.

Finally, user information. Since it's at the bottom, at least it's easy to get to, but many people will get bored of scrolling before they get here. There's 9 pages full of modules before we even get here!

The jump-to feature helps if I am looking for only one thing, but for casual browsing, or if I'm looking for two things that are quite far from each other, it just doesn't work.

My ideal game page would be much smaller than the current page. Most options would be minimized, and they'd all be ordered differently. Since I'd be asking for less info upfront, I'd even expect it to load faster.

Oh gods of the internets! I know that you didn't grant me my plea of a way to do reverse thumb lookup, but this one would be very useful for many users. Please, hear my pleas, and accept my sacrifice of bacon!

baconbacon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.