Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.Which designer do you find the most in your collection? (Excluding Expansions & Reiner Knizia)

2. What games are they and are they amongst your favorites.

3. Mini poll

Poll
how did it get to this
I heard about Him/her through blogs or word of mouth and bought some of their games that sounded good.
I played/bought one of their games and loved it. Therefor making it a point to get more of their games.
After compiling my collection I noticed after a while they were the designer I had the most of.
      77 answers
Poll created by neverwhere68
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer I find most in my collection is Martin Wallace (and that includes Reiner Knizia), my microbadge might be a bit of a give away.

I have:

Railroad Tycoon
Tinners Trail
Byzantium
Perikles
After The Flood
Steel Drivers
La Strada
Runebound 2nd Edition
Way Out West

I like them all but my favourite is Railroad Tycoon, though that may change when I get Steam.

Whoops, knew I would forget one. Add Brass to above list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of this not because of what I own but because of what I plan on owning.
In my search for a fantasy adventure game I decided on and bought Prophecy.
Next I wanted a Sci-Fi game and narrowed my search to Galaxy Trucker or Space Alert.
Finally & most recently Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization has me very interested and planing on purchasing.
I never noticed until later that they were all by Vlaada (Vladimír) Chvátil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Martin Wallace
2. 13 games (all of the Warfrog games from Mordred through the most recent Treefrog games), only 6 of which I've played due to not really having the right groups. Yes, the ones I've played (especially Age of Steam and Way Out West) are among my very favorites.

Behind Wallace, Kramer/Kiesling score in at 5 (tying with Knizia, but by far preferred to Knizia) and Kris Burm scores with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
The designer I find most in my collection is Martin Wallace (and that includes Reiner Knizia), my microbadge might be a bit of a give away.

You beat me to it! I have to admit that you, sir, have good taste!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Klaus Teuber

2. Starship Catan
Catan Card Game
Elasund
Lowenherz

I was a little surprised that Teuber was no. 1, as I have a few designers with three and thought it would be a tie. Sadly, while I like all the Teuber games I own, I don't love any one of them particularly much, so no, they (and he) are not my favorite. I probably rotate through favorite designers based on what my current favorite game is - Martin Wallace and Uwe Rosenberg and both in the running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Without really researching, I'm guessing my collection's top designer would either be Frank Chadwick or Steve Jackson. Not out of fandom, but because I just happen to like those particular games (and they both like to stick their name on EVERYTHING that their respective companies produced).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my collection is almost half Knizia, but you ruled him out so...

It's Teuber. Settlers, and his two "Im Reich...", make 3 for Teuber. That's the most I have of anybody! There are a bunch of designers whose games I have two of (Dorn, Dorra, Schact, Henn, Friese, Kobbert).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ty Bomba's name appears most often in my collection, but primarily because of my near-complete collection of Command magazines. Not that I mind, I liked most of them, and I've bought games of his since, but few of them were outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anni Foasberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of us playtest games for a designer and end up with a lot of his games in our collection as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's Bruno Faidutti, by far. I like the chaos and the sense of humor in his games, as well as the level of detail. I find his designs very creative. Also, somehow, he has a knack for coming up with themes that I find really appealing and tend to inspire my imagination, even though they are widely diverse - i.e. Mission: Red Planet, Knightmare Chess, Mystery of the Abbey, and Fist of Dragonstones, among others. One common thread for many of his games is that I find it's easy and entertaining for me to immerse myself in the game "world" he has created, perhaps due to the level of detail and thought he's put into them.

(In addition to the above, the other games I own by him are Citadels, Red November, and Diamant)

EDIT: as for the "are they among my favorites" question: Mission: Red Planet is one of my all-time favorites, one of only four "10/10" rated games in my collection. The others are also all among my favorites, rated either 8 or 9 (which is high for my collection; my average rating is 6.89); the exception is Citadels, but only because I haven't played it yet, so can't rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most represented designers in my collection:
1. Uncredited (16 games)
2. Knizia (6)
3. (tie) Bruno Faidutti and Marvin Glass (3)

I was initially surprised that we had so many games by Marvin Glass. Then I realized that he ran a really prolific design shop in the 60s and 70s, and we have two of his children's games (Mousetrap and Operation) along with Scan. I'm not really a fan of his designs, but that's probably because I'm no longer in the age range he was designing for.

The Faidutti games we have (Mystery of the Abbey, Terra, Incan Gold) are not in my top 10, but they keep getting played. Terra is an interesting semicooperative game that fits very well with one of the groups where I play quite a bit. And Incan Gold is one of my most-played games because it's simple enough that virtually anyone can understand and have fun playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Wallace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Wallace by a landslide. I have very few Knizia and IMO Knizia may be more prolific, but he can't hold a candle to Wallace's designs.
I have:
After the Flood
Age of Steam
Brass
La Strada
Pampas Railroads (although I think this isn't his game or supposedly not, who knows?)
Railroad Tycoon
Steel Driver
Tempus
Tinner's Trail
Volldampf
Waterloo (pre-paid, but not received yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jenkins
United States
Henderson
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Kevin Wilson

Arena Maximus

Arkham Horror
+Dark Pharaoh
+Dunwich Horror
+King in Yellow
+Kingsport Horror
+Black Goat of the Woods

Descent
+Road To Legend

Doom: The Board Game
+ Doom: The Board Game Expansion

Fury of Dracula (FF Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to go more with a company than a designer. Most of my games come from Fantasy Flight, Avalon Hill, and GMT. With Christian Peterson, Richard Berg, Jesse Young, and Rick Evans being some of my most prolific designers. I get the feeling that Berg will be my top designer eventually. I love his GBOH series.
Peterson: Twilight Imperium 1st & 3rd ed, Tide of Iron, Starcraft, Thuders edge.
Berg: Druid, SPQR, with Caesar: Conquest of Gaul and its expansion, and Onward, Christian Soldiers on the way.
Evans and Young: Europe and Asia Engulfed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The answer, by a mile, is Knizia - which is odd since I don't go out of my way to collect his games. Looking over them, most of them are very good too. Still, he must be disqualified, so the new answer is:

Bruno Faidutti.

The games are:

Castle - Probably my favourite Faidutti (and Laget) game. I really enjoy it! Check out the first episode of Out of the World for a fuller review on why I love it!
Citadels - A good game, not my favourite, but generally excellent, thematic and fun.
Diamant - A thoroughly excellent light game. I have a copy in my class at school for teaching probability and division, and the kids love it!
Draco & Co - An excellent and fun fantasy drinking game. Red Dragon Inn is similar in many ways, but I prefer this one!
Dragon's Gold - A funny little bargaining game. I love the Invisible Hand!
Fist of Dragonstones - Another fun game. I like this one a bit, although it really requires people to know the base cards and to peg back the leader.
Mission: Red Planet - A favourite. I really enjoy this game. One of main gaming partners doesn't so much, so i don't get to play it is often as I like. But this is one of my favourite Faidutti games.
Red November - A great little co-op filled with theme and chaos. Very much worth the cost, and great fun to play.
Silk Road - I quite like this bidding game. Streamlined and simple. It is quite a good little game - although it rewards people who know the game (as do most of course).
Warrior Knights - A great little war/diplomacy game. Takes a while to play, but is plenty of fun if you get in the swing of it!

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why rule out Knizia? Yes, he's designed a lot of games, but I'm not sure that means that he's always at the top of most people's owned lists.

Oddly, I don't have a clear winner, but several designers who appear in my collection in threes:

Franz-Benno DeLonge: Trans Europa, Container, Fjords
Rudiger Dorn: Louis XIV, Goa, Jambo
Reiner Knizia: Ra, Modern Art, Dream Factory
Michael Rieneck: The Pillars of the Earth, Cuba, Dracula
Martin Wallace: Age of Steam, Railways of the World, Tempus

Of these, the ones I look out for intentionally are Wallace, Rieneck, and Dorn, and on the flipside, I actually sort of avoid Knizia games because I find them a little too light and too abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
13 games by Phil Eklund. Only missing a couple. Best designer next to Tresham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teuber.

Excluding expansions?

Knizia.

Excluding Knizia?

Kramer.

Tikal
Java
Mexica
The Princes of Florence
Maharaja: Palace Building in India
Torres
Category 5
Saga

Maharaja, Torres, PoF, El Grande, Tikal: favorites, indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stan Lee. RIP.
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer: Rob Watkins
Game: Star Wars Miniatures
How many I own: All of them (plus some)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Designer: Martin Wallace

2)Games:
After the Flood
Age of Steam
Brass
Conquest of the Empire
La Strada
Perikles
Railroad Tycoon
Steel Driver
Struggle of Empires
Tinners' Trail

I think everything on the list is all solid, but aren't style that my group enjoys. Oddly enough my favorite game isn't represented on this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
1) Designer: Martin Wallace
2) Games: After the Flood, Age of Steam, Pampas Railroads

My collection is mostly spread out, with most designers having only 1 or 2 games in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Wallace and that includes Reiner Knizia.

I have:

Age of Steam
Railroad Tycoon
Perikles
Brass
Tinners Trail
Conqust of Empires
Automobile (Preorder)

...and I'm still trying to find copies of Liberte and Voldampf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a wargamer for some 30-plus years, who in the 80s and early 90s had subscriptions to both Strategy & Tactics and Command magazines, I too built up a collection of Ty Bomba-designed games. But far and away the designer most represented in my collection is Richard Berg. He did a lot of S&T games in those days, and his tendency to design games set in my preferred eras has led to my purchasing so many of his designs. It helps that I do tend to like his work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.