Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I'm looking for ideas for a good team-building game/activity that can be played by about 10 people (who can be split into seperate teams if needed), that's free, that takes less than an hour, that needs only pen and paper, that's takes some thought but is still fun, and may or may not have some geeky component (eg sci-fi based or such).

I hoping to find something with a little more depth than a party game/activity.

That's pretty vague, I know, but if anyone can point me in a good direction, I'd be thankful. I want to use the game during a break of a regular board gaming gathering, hoping to get everyone working together on a communal activity.

-Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Below is a link for an exercise I have seen done many times. Basically you are stranded on the moon and have to decide the order of imprtance of a group of survival items. Usually the exercise is done individually and then in teams. Teams typically score better thus "proving" the benefits of teamwork.

There are variations where you are stranded at sea, on an island etc.

http://www.bpccs.com/lcas/Articles/survive.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey great! I think I did something like this back in school, and forgot about it until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Below is a link for an exercise I have seen done many times. Basically you are stranded on the moon and have to decide the order of imprtance of a group of survival items. Usually the exercise is done individually and then in teams. Teams typically score better thus "proving" the benefits of teamwork.

Love it, I am always on the lookout for activities like this so if you have any more....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:

I like the general idea, but you will want to do a little more research then these guys did in the article, lol. They seem to have confused 1/6th earths gravity (they are on the moon) with a 0g environment. Good exercise idea just be ready to explain your reasoning to a hostile crowd meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fsnam wrote:
I like the general idea, but you will want to do a little more research then these guys did in the article, lol. They seem to have confused 1/6th earths gravity (they are on the moon) with a 0g environment. Good exercise idea just be ready to explain your reasoning to a hostile crowd meeple

Good pickup and one that will affect the outcome a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I think I'll use the activity as a launching off point for a more 'gamery' game, and change some of the wonky parameters mentioned. After I try it out, I'll post what I did, and say how it went over.

With luck, it'll work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, depends on the outcome you are after but this worked a treat at minimal cost and can scale back to your numbers easily (and you already have it) - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/316448

A lot of short board games will work if you play them as teams, with players taking turns to make the team move (this can be with a shared strategy or each pursuing their own strategy without communicating).

From your collection you could play some of the games with ten or split into teams. Give some thought to tinkering with Liar's Dice, Pit or Time's Up.

Alternatively, and because we never have enough games, go crazy and buy either Incan Gold (Diamant), Cloud Nine, 6 Nimmt, Break the Safe, Coloretto, For Sale, Formula Motor Racing, Hey That's My Fish, Loot or Transamerica - all would work well as team play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muir
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nothing says "Team building" like a good old fashioned game of "Diplomacy" !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Warren!

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually read about your mega-Pit game before, and would like to try it out, but I'm afraid it won't work this time since we'll be playing in a reserved room attached to a library. We can make noise in the room, but probably not *that* much noise.

And yeah, I know there are a lot of games I could expanded into team-play, but the people I'm playing with are pretty well versed in games, and I was hoping to surprize them with something a little different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Mayer wrote:
... the people I'm playing with are pretty well versed in games, and I was hoping to surprize them with something a little different.

Unlucky. I hadn't thought about it but the groups I get to work with are not familiar with the games so that makes it much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.