United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the two-player tournament going on, I naturally became interested in having an event for more players. My thought would be to have one or two rounds (depending on the number of players) of elimination where only the top two players from each game would advance (or, if necessary, 3-player games with only one person advancing), leading to a final championship game.

Sign up here if you'd be interested, along with any comments about format preferences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested. I'd be especially interested to see what tie-breaker you use
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cast Ll'tor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You made me an offer I can't refuse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of familiar faces here. Sign me up!

In terms of the format, I think it would be better to have just the winner of each game advance. That way if we have, say, 16 players, we can play 4 4-player games with the winners advancing to a final 4-player game. That way you avoid the problem of there being no incentive to win because second place is rewarded the same as first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
But please don't call me Jerry.
badge
At one time, I didn't really like Power Grid so Ted made my piece a Power Grid piece.
mbmbmbmbmb
yes please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little bit off-topic... but do all YEar of the Dragon games at MabiWeb take forever to finish? I started a 5-player game about 60 hours ago and we're currently waiting for the 5th player to play his PErson card. At this rate, a single game is going to take about a month!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
A little bit off-topic... but do all YEar of the Dragon games at MabiWeb take forever to finish? I started a 5-player game about 60 hours ago and we're currently waiting for the 5th player to play his PErson card. At this rate, a single game is going to take about a month!

Brian

Yeah. Larger games take FOREVER. That's why I like to have several games running at once. I'd hope this tournament would set up like four simultaneous games or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Definitely interested, count me in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I'm in too please...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:

Yeah. Larger games take FOREVER. That's why I like to have several games running at once. I'd hope this tournament would set up like four simultaneous games or something.

It has now been 85 hours and we've yet to finish our first turn. With this sort of time commitment I think I'd rather play Diplomacy...

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brallier
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, if LTLukeCUddy is reading this or if you know who he is and can pass on a message, hurry up and take your turn. THere are currently 6 games of Dragon that are waiting for your move. Do something...

DOn't know why people get so involved if they're not willing to stay on top of their games...

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrah Hodge
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, our interested list so far is:

Chad_Ellis
Csigs
mdp4828
Stu Skywalker
teabo
Luk Van Baelen
QBert80
texasjdl
idmonfish
Pallet Ranger
sedjtroll
BigDLishus
GamingWench

Also, possibly, bwridge (not sure if he actually signed up or just asked a question, so I'm geekmailing him to confirm).

OK, that makes 13 people, not counting bwridge. For speed reasons my inclination would be to try to resolve this in two-three "rounds" of simultaneous games, rather than doing a Swiss System over multiple rounds. I think I can rope in one or two more people to get us to 15/16. If we're at 15 I would propose the following:

1. Split the tournament up randomly into three divisions of five.
2. Within each divisions there would be five 4-player games -- defined by the one person that wasn't in each of them.
3. Each game awards 3 points to the winner and 1 point to second place. In the event of a joint win, each player gets 2 points; in the event of a joint tie for second, the winner gets 3 and each of the players in second get a full point.

First tiebreak would be games won (so winning two is better than winning one and coming in second thrice). Second tiebreak would be head-to-headness of points (so if I'm tied with GamingWench but she won two games that I was in and I won one that she was in and one that she wasn't, she's win).

The winners of each division would then play a 3-player championship.

How does that sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

How does that sound?

Sounds good. How about a 1-3-6-10 scoring system to incentivize all positions including finishing the game (0 points for a drop out)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that. That way the first tiebreaks can continue downwards, so it's total score, then total wins, then total seconds and then fisticuffs if they're still tied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
...and then fisticuffs if they're still tied.

Marquess of Queensberry rules, I presume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask how the game will be played?

Is there a site with a special multiplayer program that is used, or do we have to have someone that controls the randomizations of all actions each turn, and we just write in a forum what choices we make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
LupusX wrote:
May I ask how the game will be played?

Is there a site with a special multiplayer program that is used, or do we have to have someone that controls the randomizations of all actions each turn, and we just write in a forum what choices we make?

Hi Adam, the suggestion is to use the excellent implementation of year of the dragon on mabiweb: http://www.mabiweb.com/

Cheers
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in if there is still space. I have to make up for my poor showing in the 2 player tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.