Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, fellow geeks, just had an incredibly bad experience on the Marketplace which I felt I should share as a warning to others.

I was browsing the geek the other day when I stubled accross the game entry for Way Out West. Being a fan of all things Wallace I was intrigued. I also noticed that a user called email had a copy available for sale at 35 EUR. In the game entry he also mentioned he had a bunch of other games up for sale. So I sent him a GeekMail expressing my interest, asking what language WoW was in and asking for the list of other games.

He sends me the list and I pick out a few items and ask him for prices for them, at the same time confirming that I am definitely interested in Way Out West. He tells me to make him an acceptable offer. I make what I thought was a reasonable offer to which his reply is simply "Sorry, but this amount is not enough for this games.". No hint at a price, no negotiation. So I decide to take a look at historic market information to see if I was way off and notice that he has now listed all the items I had asked about.

Now I don't want to get into a devate about what is or is not a reasonable price, but they were definitely a lot more than I was willing to pay for the games involved. So, at this point, I decide to just cut my losses and get the game I was originally interested in, Way Out West. In the meantime however, he has seen fit to almost double the price of the item from 35 EUR to 65 EUR!

This seems like a very underhanded move to me and I just felt I should share this with others as a warning - if you are interested in anything he has for sale, don't ask questions first.

Anyway, needless to say I wont be doing any business with this guy, and the whole experience has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Seller has game priced at 35 euros. You e-mail him that you're interested and he says "make an offer". You make an offer (which I assume is less than the listed price because "make an offer" usually means "I may sell it for less than listed if your offer is good enough") and the seller declines, then raises his price?

I looked at the sale history, and I see that even 35 euros was pretty high for this. I'm thinking he looked at how many were for sale and decided that since he was pretty much alone in the marketplace, he could afford to raise his asking price hoping he'll get it from you or someone else.

It's a dick move, to be sure. But if you'd actually attempted to purchase it at the listed price and then he backed out, then the mods could probably have done something about it.

As it is, he now gets to stare at his game a little longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to be clear, I wasn't haggling over the price of Way Out West, but rather the guy has a list of 400 other games which he mentions in all his sales. It was the games on this list he asked me to make an offer on. I never had a problem paying 35 EUR for Way Out West.

And, yes, I do realise I could have just hit the "Buy" button, but I just never expected someone to act like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Gareth
I bought a copy of Way Out West on UK ebay for £10 last year, even with shipping to you that would work out less than 35 euros. Have you tried looking for it on ebay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you had just bought at the listed price, there's nothing that requires him to accept that transaction, is there? The BGG Marketplace really isn't a storefront, even though it looks like it. It's just a directory putting you in touch with other people which happens to provide some hints about what price they're expecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
It's a dick move, to be sure.

A buyer trying to pay less is fine. A seller trying to sell for more is "a dick move." Awesome logic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Thosw wrote:

A buyer trying to pay less is fine. A seller trying to sell for more is "a dick move." Awesome logic.

Just to clarify one last time, I never offered anything less than the asking price for Way Out West. The games I did make an offer on had no asking price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Thosw wrote:

There's nothing wrong with my logic. If you went to buy a car and the salesman raised the price just because you looked at it, you'd have no problem with that?

The seller told the buyer to "make an offer". By your logic, he should have offered *more* than the listed price.

Of course, that's a moot point now that the original poster has stated that he was trying to purchase a "lot" of games.

As it is, the seller didn't like the offer and raised the price of the one game the buyer was most interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lupi
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Thosw wrote:

I have a dollar to sell; for you I'll let it go for a buck and a quarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fully agree with you, Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalOak wrote:
You can purchase this game for 27 euros on ebay.de. Here is the link : http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Awesome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

The gentleman did you the favor of scaring you off before you entered into a business transaction with him. A lucky break all in all, and may save you money as well.

Enjoy your wins; learn from your losses.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.