Niklas Pettersson
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mb
Have played Ticket To Ride for a long time and I like it a lot, but now I have decided to buy either Railroad Tycoon & Rails of Europe or wait for Railways of the World to get a more strategy game about trains.

What does people here at BGG think: Should I buy Railroad Tycoon & Rails of Europe or wait for Railways of the World? Do you think that Railways of the World will be such as much better game that I should wait for it and do you think that Railways of the World could get into the top 25 list here at BGG where Railroad Tycoon now is ranked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy RRT now.

You could be waiting a hell of a long time for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Buy RRT now.

You could be waiting a hell of a long time for this.

Maybe not so long. On Feb 24, FRED updated the front page with :
Quote:
Railways of the World is due out Q2 2009.

I'm hoping [thing=38480][/thing] will be released at the same time.

edit: I'm in the same boat as the OP, and have decided to wait for what I expect to be an improved product. RotW follows RoE's re-working of the rules, hopefully addresses the color-matching issues in RRT's components, and will include a Mexico map. Also, the Eastern US map will be smaller (the RRT board is a monster), by virtue of the fact that the scoring track will be on a separate board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
edit: I'm in the same boat as the OP, and have decided to wait for what I expect to be an improved product.

From FRED? Good luck with that. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
pastabatman wrote:
edit: I'm in the same boat as the OP, and have decided to wait for what I expect to be an improved product.

From FRED? Good luck with that. laugh

I'm not FRED fan (particularly because of their price-fixing policies), but I have to say my recently traded-for copy of Brass is top notch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the same game, minus the mounted map.(paper map of mexico will replace it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred CS
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmb
Railways of the World is expected in mid-September with several other releases that are currently in development. The Mexico map will be mounted, it will not be a paper map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. I was about to break down and pick up one of the few remaining copies of RRT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, any chance the Mexico map (if it's mounted) will be broken out, or is it still looking to be a basic map for beginners with reduced general appeal (apart from that to us completists who want everything!)

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fattylumpkin wrote:
Thanks for the update. I was about to break down and pick up one of the few remaining copies of RRT.

Joel, unless you are one of those gamers who must have everything exactly perfect, picking up one of the international edition games is well worth it. The U.S. map is classic, and the game is great! Everything is in English in the international edition except for the money, shares, and board title. Last I checked, the only thing players need to know about the shares or the money is the numbers on them (1, 5, 10), not the text (how often have you looked at the text on your dollar bills?). In some games I've played with it, the other players didn't even realize that the text on the money was in Spanish! The international edition is a great purchase! If you want to play it today, and not in 6 months, go get it! You'll be happy you did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
fattylumpkin wrote:

Joel, unless you are one of those gamers who must have everything exactly perfect, picking up one of the international edition games is well worth it. ... If you want to play it today, and not in 6 months, go get it! You'll be happy you did!

Unless, of course, you want the Mexico map and the improvements FRED has stated they'll be making to the Eastern U.S. map and rules. See http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
What on earth is with the description on the web site here that states RoW is a re-implementation of Age of Steam?!? Shouldn't that be Railroad Tycoon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.