Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up the Gryphon Games edition of this wonderful filler and noticed something unfortunate about the possession tiles. There are sixteen tiles, four of which have a red border and the rest have a yellow border. The red bordered cards control the game and their unpredictability is a key component of the game.

The issue with the Gryphon edition is that the face of the tiles is beveled slightly, meaning that the border colour of the tile can also be seen from the side. You can see the effect in the image below. Although it may seem subtle, I assure you that the colour can be seen from across a normal gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at picking this up, can you be more specific about how big of a deal this is? Obviously, if it breaks the game, I will pass on picking it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, this is a pretty big deal, although, as with anything here on the Geek, I'm sure other people's opinions will vary. The unpredictability of when the game will end is one of the main things which keeps this game interesting in my opinion. Obviously you still don't know which cards will come up during the game, but just knowing how many already takes away some of the fun.

Had I known about this before, I probably wouldn't have purchased this copy.

I would point out that at the moment, I only have my copy of the game to go on, but given the particular issue, I doubt I'm an isolated case (this issue has come up before in games like Mr. Jack).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the look of the picture, the border colour of the next tile is fairly visible and this is a fairly big deal in High Society.

One possible solution (suggested in the first edition of Mr Jack, which suffered the same issue) is to draw the tiles from the box, so you can't see the edges before they are drawn. I don't know what the Gryphon box is like - would this be a fairly straightforward fix?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it might be. This is a slightly easier fix in Mr. Jack because you only have two players and, therefore, only two viewing angles to protect. As such, putting the tiles in the box and setting it off to the side is enough.

With 3 or more players, this solution gets tougher and I could picture it being a source of argument as to who sits where in some groups. You could leave the tiles in the insert, but unfortunately this means you would have to leave it split in two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
It's a shame to see that some publishers are *still* making this error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul szkibik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kinda the same with the very first edition from Ravensburger that I own (I live in germany). Sometimes if the cards aren't stacked perfectly on top of each other you can see the reflection on our white table (red or yellow) if you care to look for it.

But really it's a non-issue if everybody is mature enough to not give the stack too much attention. I have no experience with the remake but I'm pretty sure it won't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Aube
Canada
Ste-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Mr Jack, I used a permanent marker and made all the tiles sides black. I hate modifying my games like that, but that resolved the problem.

I still decided not to buy the extension because of that...

That solution should also work for High Society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Although the tiles are pretty large I was thinking you could shuffle/draw from inside a hat or bag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles /do/ fit into FFG standard card game sleeves, so a pack of those in a solid colour mostly fixes this.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played many, many games of High Society from the Gryphon edition and have never noticed this. I wouldn't let it stop you from picking up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
I've played many, many games of High Society from the Gryphon edition and have never noticed this. I wouldn't let it stop you from picking up the game.

I recently picked up my copy, glanced at the highly obvious colours, sighed, sleeved it, and gave it away.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad. Maybe there were slightly different cuts for different printings? It's a great game - my favorite filler of all time, actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great game. I own two other editions.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.