Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy of AoC and have been playing it solitaire (4 player) in order to learn the rules. Pretty interesting, so far.

One of the things I was expecting was that Conan was going to be more of a wild card. A lot of the advertising hinted that controlling Conan could be a mixed blessing. Apart from losing you the game if you fail to crown him king, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want to control him whenever possible. Of course, the cost of controlling him might be too high, (you might have to spend a valuable strategy card) but that's more of a tactical issue.

Is there some possible negative consequence associated with controlling Conan that I am missing because I'm such a newbie to the game?

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You nailed it to a certain degree (from what I can see thus far in the game). I can remember one game I was playing Stygia, but my highest strategy card was for The south. It would have been really useful to get control of Conan, especially when his quests put him squarely in The south near Stygia...however it was a choice between giving up my strategy cards for the area, or using my 1 and 2 pointers for the North. After the first adventure of my opponents utilizing Conan to completely punish me (the opponent was Turan) I traded in for Conan with a Strategy card, but then battles were still brutal as I lost at least one battle bonus which unfortunately was a decisive battle...which if I had used Conan AND the card I had used for the bid, I would have won.

PS: You should make your eye red and flaming, and then we can consider it the Eye of Sauron!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only downfall I can think of is if you move him to help with your wars, then his adventure ends and he's right in the middle of your army, and you don't retain control of him. Opps! That could really turn the tide of a siege...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The only downfall I can think of is if you move him to help with your wars, then his adventure ends and he's right in the middle of your army, and you don't retain control of him. Opps! That could really turn the tide of a siege...

-shnar

Not necessarily. When the adventure ends, Conan is moved to the distination marker before starting the next adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Not true - at the end of an Adventure, Conan is moved to his destination automatically.

[edit: you're too fast for me, Tsugo!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, good point. You know, that's one thing that's kind of bothered me with the Conan Adventures. *Why* is he instantly transported there? I would think if he failed the adventure, he just stays where he is...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Oh, good point. You know, that's one thing that's kind of bothered me with the Conan Adventures. *Why* is he instantly transported there? I would think if he failed the adventure, he just stays where he is...

-shnar

I think the issue you brought up in your previous post is a major reason why Conan is "teleported" to the destination rather than staying in the same province at the end of the adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which I think would add a lot of interesting dynamics to the game! Making it all the more important to gain control of Conan

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I think you're on to something.

I've felt that the Adventures were too short and just when you had Conan in position to use him, he gets whisked away. I thought that perhaps fewer but longer adventures might fix this, but now I see that removing the magical teleportation might be all that is required.

What does it matter where Conan starts the adventure, he stills has X number of tokens to complete. Why move him at all? Just award the bonus token or not and flip the next adventure card.

There's a lot more at stake if Conan has a chance to effect the outcome of some crucial battles immediately, a lot more than trundling off on some mere token collection.

Or perhaps let the winner of the bid decide if Conan stays put of magically transports.

Just my two cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Which I think would add a lot of interesting dynamics to the game! Making it all the more important to gain control of Conan

-shnar

Perhaps. We actually played incorrectly during our learning game, and simply left Conan in the province at the end of the adventure. Personally, now playing it correctly, I prefer having him teleport to the destination before starting the next adventure.

What I noticed happening was during the first age and a couple adventures into the second age, was exactly as you described. Players were not able to control Conan on the following adventure and losing a province they had just won. Also, by keeping Conan in a specific area of the map, Conan, at least in battle, it was more helpful to certain players. At least by teleporting him, there is guaranteed variety in the path Conan travels.

Also, when not moved, Conan was usually in a central location allowing him to easily reach his destination, removing some possibly difficult choices away from the Conan player. Now I know this can be the case when teleported to his destination, but it just seemed to be the case every time when he wasn't.

Give it a try. Maybe you like the dynamics it brings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

It would make for a lot of kingmaking situations, because players could conspire to run Conan into somebody else's territory, where raider tokens could be piled on in the upcoming adventure.

The game works better now, because the start and endpoints of the adventures criss cross the board, and insure that everybody will in turn have to deal with Conan in their neighborhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drabel wrote:
There's a lot more at stake if Conan has a chance to effect the outcome of some crucial battles immediately, a lot more than trundling off on some mere token collection.

He can do that already at the start point for the new adventure. By having him start in his final location of the previous adventure, you'd be allowing the player who controls Conan to extend his influence into the following adventure.

The other thing people aren't thinking about is how this could screw up the possibilities for crowning Conan. If a player needed to do that, he might have to control Conan for two successive adventures, which is too much to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I personally think the adventures are too short, especially since the Conan+Court appears twice on each die. I would have preferred three adventures per age that lasted two or three tokens longer.

Removing the magical teleport could in a sense extend one adventure into the next and give you time to actually accomplish something with Conan beyond mere token set collection.

I acknowledge the need to not let one part of the map monopolize Conan, thus I added the afterthought about allowing the bid winner decide to teleport away or not.

I’m just thinking out loud about the one small problem I have with the game overall. I can live with the adventure system as it is, but couldn’t it be better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drabel wrote:
I’m just thinking out loud about the one small problem I have with the game overall. I can live with the adventure system as it is, but couldn’t it be better?

I don't doubt that it could. But some very talented and experienced game designers spent a couple of years on this, and I'm sure they had the benefit of dozens of playtesters trying things out over a period of months.

Are you prepared to make a similar effort? If not, and you're just hoping to come up with a better game via a quick bit of brainstorming, I think you're either naive or incredibly optimistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
You're right my time would be better spent speculating on the personal characteristics of an individual who voiced an opinion that differed from mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be kind of cool to see a downside to owning Conan. For example, if you used him in combat, there's a chance he not only didn't help you, but caused havoc. He's a wildcard, you can't control Conan! You can only influence him and hope he helps you in return.

Not sure how to do that, but the idea is kind of cool...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drabel wrote:
You're right my time would be better spent speculating on the personal characteristics of an individual who voiced an opinion that differed from mine.

No need to take it personally; I wasn't trying to insult you. My point was that I think the design team did their homework, and I find it unlikely that somebody who has played the game once or twice is going to have an idea pop into their head that improves it. Do you disagree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I think it would be kind of cool to see a downside to owning Conan. For example, if you used him in combat, there's a chance he not only didn't help you, but caused havoc.

That's already in the game. See the "Allegiance to the Lions of Aquilonia" card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that card poked me in the eye last game. Ouch, there goes Koth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
Yeah that card poked me in the eye last game. Ouch, there goes Koth!

Alan, is that why your avatar is squinting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.