Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules and played three games on the web now, but I still have no idea what's really going on. Can anyone shed some light on this utterly opaque game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Redking's wonderful AI version: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/35693

Eventually you'll get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Score points.

That sounds like I'm just being a jerk, but that's actual advice. IT's very easy to get caught up in dealing with crises and saving your people and never quite get around to scoring points, but the way you win this game is to focus on scoring points whenever you can, accepting that you'll take some losses from the events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
Score points.

That sounds like I'm just being a jerk, but that's actual advice. IT's very easy to get caught up in dealing with crises and saving your people and never quite get around to scoring points, but the way you win this game is to focus on scoring points whenever you can, accepting that you'll take some losses from the events.

This is good advice. Some people do lose sight of the VPs in favor of pure survival. At the same time, you've got to make sure you don't get careless and end up really getting hit hard by an event like drought or contagion.

I think a key concept in the game is; don't be afraid to let people die, but make sure you know who is going to die ahead of time. Plan for it, make sure they are expendable, weigh the effort you would have to put into their survival versus the bad effects of their death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to win by scoring over 20 points from people that all have survived, then some extra 6 points from a monk should be added. However, everytime I've seen that strategy the player ends up with around 95 points. With other words, experienced people will likely have a chance to pass 100, and suddenly the surviving strategy isn't very reliable anymore.

All other players normally at least get 10 points for their units. So by making all your people survive, you are only 10 points ahead. You have to spend a lot of building actions, and a lot of experienced people (keeping you lower on the player order track) to make everyone survive.

Compare that to a double scroll, which gives you 12x2 vp, and if you manage to buy another one later (6x2) you have 36 vp right away, and you have time for doing other things too.

You will also notice that killing people makes more room in the castle, and suddenly a drought helps you. By planning your moves exactly, you will be able to take bad events to your advantage, events that your opponents might suffer from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either give yourself a good position in the turn order, or expect to raise and spend a lot of cash.

Look at your competitors, especially ones that get an early lead. Try to analyze WHY they did what they did. (Taking a monk & a pyro to start may seem counter-intuitive, until you see that person is going to be going first. Going first can be HUGE.) There are also some excellent strategy discussions on here. There are a lot of subtleties to this game, which I'm just starting to grasp.

We all seem to be assuming that your question is "how do I win?" If it's something else -- like, "I just don't get the rules, what's going on?" -- please let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camo Coffey
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a superb video review of IYOTD here:

http://www.podshow.com/shows/?mode=detail&episode_id=103769

Colin Sherman gives a great idea of the strategies and pitfalls to consider throughout.

As he says, it's a deeply unforgiving game to the uninitiated. But well worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LupusX wrote:
It is possible to win by scoring over 20 points from people that all have survived, then some extra 6 points from a monk should be added. However, everytime I've seen that strategy the player ends up with around 95 points. With other words, experienced people will likely have a chance to pass 100, and suddenly the surviving strategy isn't very reliable anymore.

It is also possible to score 20 points from persons, around 10 points from a couple of monks, and lots of points for building many palaces, for a total of over 100 VP and soundly beating the large-privilage players by over 24 VP. See "David vs. Goliath" session report.

The key is, whichever strategy you play, you'd better play it well. And the best strategy is the one which best suits the year's event order. If most of the same-event pairs are wider apart, it becomes more useful to keep more persons in your palace. But to make up for the VP, you must do something aggressive: if you're not getting a privilage, you need to build lots of palaces, get many Ladies, and/or do some heavy research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.