Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have decided to get another card driven wargame and there are several that have caught my eye, but I can't decide what to get. So I turn to my fellow BGG'ers.

First, I own and have played Twilight Struggle, Hannibal RvC and Combat Commander: Pacific. I enjoy all of them quite a bit. I used to own Price of Freedom, but I couldn't get into it.

I like the mechanics of the cards and would like to find another gem. My main concern is that it should play well with 2 players. I know there are a few out there that support more, which is fine, but I need it to work for 2 as that is the number I will mostly be playing with. I also need to stay on the "less complex than Paths of Glory" side of things. I owned PoG for a while and couldn't take it all in myself. There was just to much going on for my feeble little mind. Maybe in a few years after I have some more experience I will tackle it again as it looks amazing.

I am not really concerned with subject or time period. I am not a huge history buff, but I enjoy all history.

Ok, with that said, these are the CDG's on my radar.

Spartacus I love Hannibal so this is a given I guess.

For the People I do enjoy Civil War history and it is actually something I know a little about.

Unhappy King Charles! I know almost nothing of the ECW but this game sounds intruiging and has good buzz.

Shifting Sands The northern Africa campaign has always interested me, I do not know a whole lot about it though.

Successors (third edition) What little I have researched about this game, it seems very good. Is it ok with 2?

Clash of Monarchs This game is gorgeous, however I am not sure about playing with 2 and also I hear it is quite heavy and hard to get in to.

Here I Stand with 2 player diplomacy pack. The subject intruiges me on this one. Being able to play the Papacy is pretty neat.

Ya, I know that is a big list, but I have wide tastes Go ahead, make your case about which one I should choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With most of the emphasis on two-player, (and Hannibal if you don't have it, can't tell from your comments), I'd vote for For the People. It's pretty darn heavy, (I'd say more so that Paths of Glory), but it's pretty great as CDGs go.

I've only played UKC once, and found my poor Royalists pretty much wiped off the map, with little hope of ever rebuilding my army, so I can't comment. It is certainly simpler, but it has a very weird feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play 2-player, I'd suggest one of the first four games that are designed to be 2-player. I'm biased towards Spartacus having worked on it, but here I'd suggest "For the People." It's the most proven design, and you should be able to find plenty of support articles and such, and any rules questions have (presumably) long since been clarified...

Here I Stand is superb, and I think the 2-player variant is underrated. But that said, if you're ONLY ever going to play it two-player, your ~$90 is probably better off getting two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
FTP and CoM are both more complex than PoG, although CoM is good for two players.

SS is about the same complexity as PoG.

Successors and HIS are good games, but personally I would only bother playing multiplayer.

Which leaves sparticus, which I haven't played and UKC which might be ok.

I would maybe recommend Espana 1936, not a true CDG, but it might fill the void.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should clarify on the complexity thing. It really wasn't the complexity of the rules that turned me off of PoG, it was more the fact of complex strategy and me not being very good at that I think the scale was just too big on it, but maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
I guess I should clarify on the complexity thing. It really wasn't the complexity of the rules that turned me off of PoG, it was more the fact of complex strategy and me not being very good at that I think the scale was just too big on it, but maybe not.
In that case maybe mark's recommendation of FtP isn't too bad. Take a look at the rules on the GMT site and see what you think otherwise shifting sands seems alright, it is kind of a more scripted easy to grasp version of PoG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Spartacus. It's 2 player and a hair less complex than the others on the list or at least I found it so. For the People and Shifting Sands are two of my favorites and I highly recommend them as well but they're a touch more complex in terms of stuff going on in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Add one to your list:

Halls of Montezuma (GMT)

Just my suggestion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Add one to your list:

Halls of Montezuma (GMT)

Just my suggestion

I was looking at that one, but it seems there are already a bunch of errors with the game. I will wait to see how that one pans out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm Over Stalingrad is a hybrid betweem card driven wargame and area impulse game. Its easy to learn and quick playing. thumbs up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McHugh
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Wilderness War

If you can find a copy . . .

I've been playing a bit of it via Vassal and it's quite cool.

I like that, generally, the two sides play quite differently. The French are in a position to best use raids and guerrilla warfare with irregulars and American Indian allies, while the British need to hold out long enough for their superior (and numerous) regular forces to arrive from Europe.

From what I've read and heard, it's many a card-driven game fan's favorite, along with Here I Stand, but the latter is most definitely better suited for more than two players.

I hope that Wilderness War gets a reprint post-haste, as I'd love to own a copy now that I FINALLY got the ladyfriend to play a game of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage with me . . . I'm slowly trying to turn her into a wargamer . . .

All the best,

B

*edited to add "American" to "Indian"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second Brendan's recommendation for Wilderness War. I've found it to be a nice middle weight card driven wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.