Subject: Is Deep Thought Games dead? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost a year ago I ordered an 18xx game from Deep Thougt Games and everything seemed normal, the only thing being that they had their hands full and said that they would not be able to buid my game for at least 4 months.

Now, 10 months later, I still have not recieved the game nor have I got any email regarding possible delays.

A couple of weeks ago I send an email asking if there was some problem with the order explaining that I don't mind the delay as long as I know what's happening ( as I have a room full of games that I have yet to try for the first time :) )

So my question is, does anyone know the state of DTG? I seriously hope that they are still alive in this mess we call 'economy', as they provide us with a very rare selection of games.

/Jens Schmidt

PS.
Is 'boardgame' written as one word or as two 'board game' in English? :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Leonhard
United States
Aldie
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They're alive, just slow. My orders get lower in the queue every month; at this rate I'll have my 1st order (placed last August) by next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas van der Meer
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you log in at the DTG-website you can see your current position in the queue, so you can see if you're still moving. They deliver about 10 orders/week, but sometimes there's no progress for a few weeks.

I ordered 18mex in november 2007, it arrived in augustus 2008, so took about 8-9 months. (see this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/235354

So, if you're waiting now for 10 months, it shouldn't be much longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bran mcmillin
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Proper English is "Board Game", but in America we usually don't do that, we usually write "Games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"board game" is written as two words in English, but people won't freak out of they see "boardgame" by any means. In English, it's far less common for us to use compounded words, as opposed to the Germans, which do it at seemingly any opportunity (And from knowing a couple Swedes, I'm under the impression you guys do it too).

In general, if you have to guess between a compound word and two separate words, use the two separate words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compounded words are "fun". Here's one in Finnish.

lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... board game looks weird to me. I've always written 'boardgame', apparently despite convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dilago wrote:
If you log in at the DTG-website you can see your current position in the queue, so you can see if you're still moving. They deliver about 10 orders/week, but sometimes there's no progress for a few weeks.

I ordered 18mex in november 2007, it arrived in augustus 2008, so took about 8-9 months. (see this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/235354

Waiting 10 months for a delivery? Why do you guys deal with DTG? Do they have big discounts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
dilago wrote:

Waiting 10 months for a delivery? Why do you guys deal with DTG? Do they have big discounts?

Because dealing with DTG is the only way to get these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
dilago wrote:

I would assume they are more expensive:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/4192

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
sweden_guy wrote:
Is 'boardgame' written as one word or as two 'board game' in English?

For me, it depends on how the word is used. Compound nouns used as adjectives are frequently hyphenated or combined into a single word in order to aid comprehension during reading. For example, you might have he following two sentences:

I put the clothes on the ironing board.

I bought a new ironing-board cover.

Over time, words that are frequently hyphenated this way often become written as one word. I'm shortcutting the process, which is why I write about board games on Boardgame News, where I include coverage of boardgame conventions.

Eric
Editor, BoardgameNews.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Eldard wrote:
dilago wrote:

I would assume they are more expensive:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/4192

I had heard of many of those titles, but didn't realize they were custom made by DTG.

Thanks for the info. G-mo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:
Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterielunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskussionsinläggsförberedelsearbeten shake

My Swedish is a bit rusty.. I had to look some of the words from dictionary. But this must be an interesting read, nevertheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, this is the Swedish word for "large pizza".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered my copy of 1854 back in January of 2008 and I just received it last Friday.

Why do I order from them? I don't know where else to order these games and the product that is delivered is absolutely beautiful!

This guy is a perfectionist. I suspect he is the only person working on the craft of making these games in his company because he doesn't trust anyone else to perform up to his standards. I am just speculating though.

It would account for the long delays and the level of precision in the final product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:
Oddly enough, this is the Swedish word for "large pizza".

Oh! This from the geekster who has pork in his avatar. Half of that translation means 'extra ham'

I'm so sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dilago wrote:

I log in and click 'My Account', then I select the 'Order Status' tab. The information that I get is;
"Orders 2267, in production"

I suppose this is where the queue number should appear, in place of the seemingly positive 'in production' statement. Only problem is that it have said 'in production' for as long as I can remember :D

To their defence, when I ordered my 18Scan I promted on paying in advance as the US-dollar was at an all time low(thank good he let me as it's almost twice as expensive today). That said, they might have had to do some 'custom' settings on my particular order to keep from charging me twice :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for providing me with this info. I truly love this place and all of you

Tralalala, happy, happy day...looks like I might have a new job soon. Foood, here I come

Ett extra 'moi' till min granne i Finland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas van der Meer
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweden_guy wrote:

I log in and click 'My Account', then I select the 'Order Status' tab. The information that I get is;
"Orders 2267, in production"

I suppose this is where the queue number should appear, in place of the seemingly positive 'in production' statement. Only problem is that it have said 'in production' for as long as I can remember

Correct, that's exactly the place where it should say something like "Order 2267, queued (behind 87 games)". When the queue is down to zero, normally you get an email with an invitation to pay, status is set to : "Order xxxx, awaiting payment". And in the final stage, after payment the status is set to "in production", and finally to "shipped".

sweden_guy wrote:

To their defence, when I ordered my 18Scan I promted on paying in advance as the US-dollar was at an all time low(thank good he let me as it's almost twice as expensive today). That said, they might have had to do some 'custom' settings on my particular order to keep from charging me twice

Looks like your order was set on a separate, manual track from the start, probably because your special advance payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like to read the following interview with John Tamplin posted on Boardgame news.It will give you some idea of their operation.

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.