Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my wife asked to play Nexus Ops last night and enjoyed herself.

The figures were the key, though, she adored her little creatures and tiny humans.

So I'm thinking we might try something else in the future.

The most obvious answer is Memoir '44, but that's the extent of my knowledge of wargames with figures as previously I had no interest in them. What else is out there? What's the comparative difficulty with Nexus Ops?

Lastly, how's Hammer of the Scots compare? I've seen that recommended a few times for beginners and the theme interests me, although it's blocks not figures...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why dont you just play Nexus ops again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will, soon, but when one is given a wife-generated excuse to buy new wargames, one does not pass that up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots has blocks, not little dudes.

Check out Fantasy Flight Games. Lots and LOTS of little dudes. Also check out the Axis and Allies games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
StarCraft: The Board Game has a lot of great bits, as does pretty much any other FF game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph has no figures but looks absolutely gorgeous nevertheless. It's not a complicated game but can be quite hard to learn/teach because it's so unusual.

War of the Ring (First Edition) looks fantastic on the table but might be rather on the rules-heavy side for your requirements.

I'm sure you know this but although Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 has no figures it does have top-notch counters with cracking artwork.

It's disputable whether Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game is actually a wargame, but it features conflict and certainly meets your other requirements.

Conquest of the Empire has plenty of plastic dudes and will probably crush your table under the size and weight of its various components, but doesn't really play well with 2.

Space Hulk would probably go down well, especially if she liked Nexus Ops, but it can be hard on the wallet. You can have my copy for $10,000 or nearest offer.

You can get some figures for Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, if you're willing to shell out a bit extra for them. Not really that much "wow" factor there though.

Definitely look at Memoir '44 as you say, and if you do, you might find that Memoir '44: Eastern Front appeals a little more to your Grognard sensibilities than the base game alone (and the Soviet artillery figures look fantastic).

Napoleon in Europe has plenty of figures but is a bit of a monster and is - as far as I know - out of print.

World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945 has lots of figures too and may well also be out of print and is really a Euro in a wargame disguise. It's a pretty good disguise though.

That's about all I can think of, and most are crossover games. I can think of a couple more that need at least 3. Wargamers don't tend to like plastic figures, because they're no good for recording unit information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is a good choice, as is BattleLore. If the Hammer of the Scots period interests you, BattleLore may be the game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Savino
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire and Axe,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, if you wanted to try the hobby aspect, where you need to cut, glue, assemble --- with moderate ease, and a little different gaming style, you could try SPACE HULK!!

In SPACE HULK, one player takes control of an armored Space Marine squad, while the other plays an alien species called a Genetealer. The Marines are timed on their move, the Genestealeers are not. The game has missions to play, and missions can vary in length and objective, or you can play a reletively quick, strait-forward game.

The hobbie aspect may be another dimension for you and your wife to share. The boards are available for print and play, too.

SPACE HULK is long out of print (with rumors flying recently of a remake), but go over to the SPACE HULK page here at BGG, there's a ton of info, or do a google search, and look for the FIRST EDITION Rules of Space Hulk.

SPACE HULK, BABY ![/size]

Like it or not, it's coming, one household at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Napoleon's Triumph has no figures but looks absolutely gorgeous nevertheless. It's not a complicated game but can be quite hard to learn/teach because it's so unusual.

I'm wondering if this might actually be much easier to teach to someone who isn't' already a wargamer. So much less to "unlearn".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
danbuster35 wrote:
Fire and Axe,

That is so far from being a wargame it's not even funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,

Check out the operational scale Axis & Allies games:

Axis & Allies: Guadalcanal
Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge

I also concur on War of the Ring (First Edition) (though it may be too complex unless she loves the theme) and Conquest of the Empire.

She might also like Tannhäuser which is essentially a tactical wargame, and Doom: The Boardgame which also plays like a tactical wargame.

Your best bet, though, might be Viktory II.

Very simple rules and pretty quick play, with a modular hex-tile map somewhat similar to Nexus Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

If she doesn't like it, at least you have the greatest 'bits game' ever :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fantastic
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A&A Battle of the Bulge might be good, but it is pretty damn ugly looking.

Of course, that's what makes it accurate. Nexus Ops can have huge neon pink aliens and make sense, WWII battles in the snow, not so much.

Not really wargaming persay, but what about mini games? Monsterpocalypse has a lot of dudes that look a lot like Nexus Ops on the table and might be a great segway for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War! Age of Imperialism
Attack!
Blood Feud in New York
Monsters Menace America
Railways of the World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta second Battlelore--it has got lots of cool pieces. In addition, it does not require a person to be a hardcore wargamer of any ilk. The other games in this grouping (e.g. Memoir 44) would work too although Battlelore has more variety!

Age of Mythology has a great deal of variety. Lots of humans with lots of creatures to boot. Once again, grognards would regard this as "simple" if it is even considered a war game in a traditional sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium is another great game with tons of mini-starships. You could play it with two players, but it is much more exciting and epic with four to six players.

It all depends on your style of gaming. Hammer of the Scots is okay, but I found it to be much too static for my tastes. I prefer Rommel in the Desert because it allows more options and movement.

I've talked to other fellow gamers who enjoy HOTS very much. You just have to give it a try for yourself and see what you think. I'm sure if you went to any local game convention, you will find someone that has it and would be willing to play it with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any consideration of Commands and Colors: Ancients? My wife loves the tactile block feel without the added complexity of fog of war. At a glance unit health checks are golden too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack raten
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Commands and Colors Ancients:

Its definitely an option. I really like Memoir '44 but I think I would like the slightly more strategic, and deeper, Commands and Colors more. So really, its a decision of depth. If you think your wife would like Hammer of the Scots, i'd predict she'd have no problem with CC:A.

CC:A also seems to be more tactical, and less chaotic than Battlelore. Although, the choice between the two would probably be decided on which period of time your wife likes more, ancients or fantasy/midevil.

One more thing. Some people really like the blocks in CC:A much more than the figures in Battlelore and Memoir. They're more functional, easier to set up and put away, and overall less fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after great deliberation I actually decided to play it ultra safe and just aim for cementing the idea that games are not all bad (and sometimes quite fun!) in my wife's mind. To this end, I've ordered Hey, That's My Fish! Deluxe which has figures that she will just find irresistable...

..as well as Mr. Jack, which while lacking figures has some nice artwork and I think will greatly appeal to her very rational, analytical mind. Although I've played neither, they both seem to be very highly regarded 2 player games, and games that I wouldn't be myself bored to tears playing.

And, being a wargamer at heart, I couldn't help but slip Panzer Grenadier: Alaska's War into the box... you know, to top it off.

Thanks for the help everyone. Once these get some play, it'll be time for some of the better suggestions on this list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about introducing her to this little guy;

Tide of Iron has figures but I find this game a little too fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Nexus Ops again last night. This time it was a full game to 10 points, closed hands, no holds barred. She elected to go first and ... well, you know the rest. I was thumped 11-7 and really was never in any position to threaten for the lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.