United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
My family eats leftovers a lot. Probably long past when most people think would be healthy. We subscribe to the motto: "If it might kill you, then heat it up more." Obviously if it's green, fuzzy, stinky, or looks 'suspicious' then it's right out. But a week in the fridge for a stew or a soup is not uncommon. We've never gotten sick from food that I can remember. Maybe we're stronger for it?

I know some people that just downright refuse to eat leftover food and some that adhere to a strict n-day limit (< 2 or 3).

Now my parents...well let's just say their fridge is scary. I can hear my dad asking my mom how old the chili is and the reply coming...oh it's only a week or two.

What's it like in your house?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is viable until it becomes self-aware, then it pays rent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to have leftovers one must first cook...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In order to have leftovers one must first cook...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the one who hauls almost all the skunky plastic containers out of our fridge. If I can't remember when a particular container went in, it gets dumped out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
bismarck1871 wrote:
It is viable until it becomes self-aware, then it pays rent.

Unless of course it can do odd jobs around the house like clean, cut hair, do the dishes...laundry, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't do more than five days. I'll go six or seven days if it doesn't have meat. I know I throw out a lot of food that's probably perfectly decent, but I'm paranoid.

Restaurant leftovers get tossed after three days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to throw out a crockpot once.

Not kidding. It had leftover chili in it. It was fridged for a while, shoved back and forgotten over the course of weeks.

The resulting organism was terrifying.

I cracked the lid open just a bit and everyone in the house began violently hacking and coughing immediately.

We just threw the whole damn thing out after sealing it with duct tape.

Beyond that, I'd say a week is safish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We plan our meals pretty well, so if we're likely to have leftovers from a larger meal, we're probably planning to have the leftovers a couple days later.

When we have a few miscellaneous leftovers, they usually don't last long. My wife likes to eat dinner-type food for breakfast, so she finishes them off pretty quickly. (She's also less tolerant of keeping leftovers around than I am, so it works out.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't keep food in the fridge longer than a week. Each container has a bit of masking tape on its lid, on which we write the date. It's then a simple matter to police the fridge and toss out items with a date greater than a week ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I had to throw out a crockpot once.

I had a similar story back when I was a teen. My mother made a huge pot of post-Thanksgiving turkey soup, but there was no room to store it in the fridge so she had me put it out on the frigid porch, under the lid of the grill to keep it safe from animals and whatnot.

We found it again in ... oh, I don't know ... May?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess i TRON
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I give them a week.
I'm anal about not leaving stuff out on the counter for hours, but once it's in the fridge, I don't worry about it. If we haven't eaten it after a week, it's because we don't like it and it deserves to be thrown out.

I want a poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother is fond of telling this story from her college days.

She went to Salem Teacher's College (now Salem St. College), and was required to take Phys.Ed. Early one semester she and her classmates were required to play field hockey. My mom is, well, ... she's not an athlete. The instructor went up and down the line asking each student what position they would like to play. "Midfield" cried one, "Right Back" yelled another. When the instructor queried my mom, she summoned all the courage she could muster and bellowed "Left Over". The instructor took a step toward the next student, but then did a double take. He turned to my mom and barked "Oh, a wise guy", and punished my mom by making her run laps around the track while the other students played the game.

It almost worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WTF??!! I swear I didn't post twice shake

Edit: Deleted one. Don't want to look like a retard twice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Majik Mouse
United States
Tuscaloosa
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Love and Peace from the MajikMouse!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are big fans of making massive portions and then eating them throughout the week so we do not have to cook as often. Usually they are eaten withing a week, but I have no problem with eating food that has been refrigerated for longer. At the moment I am actually sitting down for lunch... week and a half old veg paella.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We make a big pot of soup or beans every week and store it in the fridge. We usually finish eating it within 1 week. If it is older than 1-week, Mystery Bob makes me through it out.

I'd like a poll, but about stuff in the freezer. My mother-in-law would win that one!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to forget about stuff.

We bought a new fridge this weekend, to be delivered in a few days. I can't wait to see what we find in the back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronL wrote:
We tend to forget about stuff.

We bought a new fridge this weekend, to be delivered in a few days. I can't wait to see what we find in the back...

So the new fridge is coming fully stocked?

Wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We've never gotten sick from food that I can remember. Maybe we're stronger for it?

Or maybe the 'guidelines' are extremely conservative, and it isn't nearly as risky as your average 'we found bacteria on every surface of the house!' story on the evening news makes it out to be?

Most people don't even understand the difference between a 'sell by' and a 'use by' date on a package to begin with, let alone have any idea how, or how long to store anything. Nor do they know that the most likely problem with using out-dated ingredients is poor flavor and texture, not food poisoning.

Anyways, I usually just toss stuff after a week, both because thats when a lot of stuff starts getting gamey, and mainly because if it didn't get eaten in the first week, it never will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
jessitron wrote:
I want a poll.

Here is a poll leftover from December. It should still be good.

Poll
Do you..?
Throw it out immediately, container and all?
Throw out the contents and clean the container?
Put it back in the fridge?
Have your significant other or kids take care of it?
Use it in a casserole?
Feed it to the dog?
Take it to the office Christmas party and pass it off as a delicacy?
      38 answers
Poll created by Erniepaul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:

You know, I've found that if you wait until the flavor changes enough, it's like not eating leftovers at all.

Wow. I don't think I've ever had my tongue cringe and run to hide behind my molars before. That was weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Lazar
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am leftover-phobic! I actually admire your ability not to waste so much food! I will often put things in the fridge with the intention of eating them but sometimes even after a day I won't want to eat them. I also hate how sometimes I find the food takes on the taste of the tupperware container that I put it in. Maybe it's in my head, but I feel like it gets a plastic-y flavour. Yuck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that if my wife and I don't eat the leftovers the very next day (or certainly within 2 days), it's likely they will get thrown away. Although, some leftovers seem to have a better chance than others of getting eaten several days later. I'd say pizza stands the test of time better than anything. I will certainly eat it 3, 4, 5 days later - - often cold. Chinese food probably comes in second, as I'll eat the leftovers a few times before tossing away the final few morsels. I have an unwritten "7 day" rule. Once something approaches 1 week in the fridge, I'm less and less likely to eat it. 7 days is certainly the absolute maximum. Most stuff gets tossed around day 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
We freeze leftovers ... stays good for a couple of weeks at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Erak and Eggplantia5 household, leftovers don't really exist.

That's not true, but it took a long time before I learned that cooking what I thought would be several portions of food equaled one portion for Erak.

If there are leftovers that last longer than a week, it's usually because neither of us have any interest in eating it anymore, and it's usually lost its flavor by then too.

Worst "leftover" story I have - in my freshman year of college, my roommate and I shared one of those little refrigerators. We started noticing that there was a weird smell in the room, that wasn't going away. We thought for a moment that one of us had spilled something on the carpet, and that we were going to have to get the carpet shampooed. But one day, I opened the refrigerator and noticed a black bag on the bottom shelf, that had not been moved in... weeks...

"Um, roomie, what's in this bag?"

"I dunno. I thought it was yours."

"No... that's definitely not mine."

"Well, I didn't put it in there. I thought it was yours."

"Well, it didn't get into the fridge by itself!"

"OH MY GOD."

"WHAT???"

"It's the CHICKEN!"

My roommate's mother had given her a roast chicken for some reason, and she just completely forgot about it. For months. It had developed a smell that escaped from the refrigerator and pervaded the entire room. After we threw it out (not daring to look inside), it took a full day to air out the room before it stopped smelling like rotten chicken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.