Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'typing' to myself out loud...

Three days from now I start a 12 week culture exchange.

Three years ago thirty students from Würtzburg Gymnasium (high school) came to stay with East Lansing families, and the next year we sent our students to Germany. We felt that our student, Kathi, did not seem to care for us, and as a result, we didn't get to know her very well. There were lots of tears shed between host families and students when the German students left for home, Kathi seemed happy to go.

The next week I received an email from Kathi. The next day, another, and yet another the day after that. Since that time I've had almost daily contact with her by either email or ICQ. I didn't understand teen girls when I was a teen, and I still don't!

Thursday, her boyfriend of 2 years is coming to stay with us for six weeks. My wife and I met him last year when we traveled to Germany and celebrated Kathi's birthday with her and her family.

He claims to enjoy board games, so maybe I'll have a gaming partner for a few weeks. At the very least I'm hoping this visit will help him better his English, and me my German.

Wanting to be able to better communicate with my "German daughter," I started learning German two years ago. I've long wanted to learn German because 2/3 of my ancestors are from Germany. In my quest to learn German, I've made email "language exchange" friends in Bamberg and Nürnberg, and we visited both families while in Germany.

On May 2nd Kathi's boyfriend returns to Germany. I plan on following a week or two after that to visit my friends, and to again spend my daughter's birthday with her and her family.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled ChitChat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this sounds very much like you're being conditioned as sleeper agents. The whole psychological ploy of acting aloof, and then rewarding you after the fact? Now you're practically these people's slaves?

I think I read about this in an advertisement in the back of a Len Deighton book, years ago. I would be very afraid. If somebody asks you to take care of a young boy with anything indicating he might one day have a toothbrush mustache, you should definitely be on your guard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"I'm not bad I'm just drawn that way"
United States
North Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a foreign exchange student to Uruguay. For the summer of 1975. I've maintained a wonderful correspondence with my host sister for the last 34 years (egad, has it been that long?) We have shared wedding info, birthin' baby stories, passing of parents, passing of siblings, and more.

should your relationship last as long as this you can safely say you aren't being groomed as an agent.

But then again, my host family's ancestors were Italian,...not German...so maaaaybbeeee....:snore::cool::ninja:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.