Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How many times is a player permitted to "Acculturate" another player on one turn? It seems as if, given sufficient Population Actions and a lack of Elders in one's own Elder Pool, one could slurp four Elders from a single player in one turn.

This seems pretty crippling. When we played several weeks ago, I saw my full Elder pool completely drained between one turn and the next.

So yesterday, when I taught Origins to two friends, I unilaterally House-Ruled that you could only Acculturate once per turn. But my friends still felt that even THAT advantage was crippling... that Acculturation was a game-breaking power.

I'm curious to hear opinions from experienced players on this subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played solitaire but to steal four Elders you'd need at least three Metropolises, which means you're in Era III or later and the opponent you're stealing Elders from has a lower Culture Rank than you do. I've not seen this but like I said, I've only played solitaire. I'll see if this comes up the next time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More importantly....have you played the Megafauna/Origins combo game? Where you play Megafauna and the results from that dictate your Origins game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
HeavyGear wrote:
I've only played solitaire but to steal four Elders you'd need at least three Metropolises, which means you're in Era III or later and the opponent you're stealing Elders from has a lower Culture Rank than you do. I've not seen this but like I said, I've only played solitaire. I'll see if this comes up the next time I play.

It is pretty easy to get three metropolises in Era I. It is also pretty easy to get humped by the Culture cards very early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
More importantly....have you played the Megafauna/Origins combo game? Where you play Megafauna and the results from that dictate your Origins game?

How is this more important?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HeavyGear wrote:
to steal four Elders you'd need at least three Metropolises, which means you're in Era III or later

What rule are you referring to? You can have multiple cities in Era I.

Are you playing some specialized solo version of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:

I agree that you raise an exceptionally important question, Ben... a question that is mightier than the internet itself.

In all candor, I have not played the combo game, and I will continue to consider my existance a hollow mockery of life until I do so. Unfortunately, my gamer friends are currently pissed off at the Acculturation rule, so I'm trying to get some perspective before I embark on the more ambitious project of the combo game.

(Is there actually a combo game, by the way? Or is it just a cruel hoax?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:
What rule are you referring to? You can have multiple cities in Era I.

Are you playing some specialized solo version of the game?

My bad - I was skimming the rules and was looking at Population Actions. Forgot about domestication attempts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:
(Is there actually a combo game, by the way? Or is it just a cruel hoax?)

The combo game rules are available from Sierra Madre's site: http://www.sierramadregames.com/downloads/Animal_Farm_Rules_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm holding on to hope that an Origins pro will appear and shed some light on the subject.

Great photo, btw, Sisteray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.