Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you with wives or girlfriends have you ever wanted to just bolt on them and never see them again, not for any particular reason? I have this pattern ever since I was very young of abandoning friends. I'm not sure why I do it but it's been extremely rare for me if ever to like anyone else or stay with anyone.

I was wondering if this is an autistic trait? (I've been diagnosed with Asperger's)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother-in-law has it. She only had like 2 friends her whole life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I may or may not have asperger's. I have a lot of the symptoms, have taken a couple of online questionnaires and always get marked with it, but I never felt a need to talk with a professional who would be able to say for sure whether or not I have it.

Anyway, do I ever want to bolt? YES. Sometimes I do, when I'm frustrated or unhappy with something. But whenever I stop and look at things, especially when I recall pre-married life to married life, there's no question at all that I'm far far happier with my wife, so the feeling passes very quickly. Ever since having kids, it passes even quicker; I know that I'm happier with my wife, and I'm about 100 times happier with my kids.

My guess though is that this isn't an asperger's thing. Every couple will have times when there is tension or frustration between them, and when that happens, the thought of giving it up and going back to being alone sounds very appealing. Hopefully, if your relationship really is a positive thing in your life, you'll be able to see that and do the right thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, we've discussed this before. Somewhere in mid-'08, wasn't it? You are a HEAVY TEA DRINKER. Case closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my roommates (and friend) has Asperger's.

He has problems with relating to other people, but he's actually a bit more loyal than most people I know. When a short term problem shows up he gets overwhelmed and can get flaky, but long term he's kept the same friends for years. He's terrible at long term romantic relationships, though.

Everyone wants to run from a situation sometimes, and I'm sure having problems relating is going to strongly effect that. I've found the best thing to do is to make sure we (my friend and I) communicate clearly even if that requires being overly blunt. His relationships usually start going south when he fails to decipher what his girlfriend wants/needs. Doesn't help that the girls he dates have the stereotypical "guess what I'm thinking" Lifetime-network style of (not) communicating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find this link interesting:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/302802/page/1

In there, I reference a website that gives a pretty good assessment about diagnosing aspbergers...and, there's some good discussion about the different traits of aspergers.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Asperger's. Fortunately, board gaming is one of my Aspie interests

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a guy here at work who we suspect of having Aspergers, but no one is brave enough to ask. I figure it's a personal thing, however he's a tad odd. He also has OCD traits aswell.

He brings a bottle of peroxide to work each day, long with other cleaning type things. He wipes down his desk, computer, chair, two drawer cabinet with wipes that the company supplies. Most people wipe their computer down every once and awhile.

We're a very laid back office, people where jeans and T-shirts all the time, I have never seen this guy without black dress pants, black dress shoes and a dress shirt, with perfectly molded hair.

On his first day, our supervisor said "woa, you're way over dressed for this place" sort of as a joke, the guy didn't even blink.

He walks very stiffly, and usually has this blank stare on his face, people have commented about him being like a robot.

There are other weird instances... We have a client lounge with a TV, one time he was in there when it was slow... a Customer Service Rep walked in and saw him and said "hi, what are you watching" and she got a "nothing"

She looked at the TV, and he was right, the TV was turned off. He was staring at a blank TV.

He is also a man of few words, or at least to most of us, certain people he seems to have picked out as friends, and will talk at length with them, but others he says very little too.

Dunno if this sounds like Asperger's or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have experance with one who has Aspergers. I won't say who but it's someone I'm close to and have known for many years. That said this person does not have this trait however that does not mean it is not a possible trait of Aspergers. Perhaps not all people express all symptoms. It may be from that or it may stem from a different unrelated issue/trauma. I'd suggest you research some books on the matter so you may better understand your motivations and Aspergers in general. Understanding what may be driven by the syndrome vs what is other could be very helpful. I also fell you may greatly benefit by seeking a forum or group dedicated to the topic where you can openly discuss it with others who have or have relationships with someone who has Aspergers. Both perspectives may be beneficial to you. I did my best to help guide the person I mentioned how to read and understand in others what comes natural to those not afflicted. I believe and hope it helped that person better navigate social interactions and hope it aided that person in living a happier life.

My apologies if I've gone beyond your question or overstepped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanting to cut and run is always sorely tempting, the idea of just leaving it all behind and carrying on worry free. That doesn't actually exist, but it is a nice fantasy to entertain.

I have no diagnosed mental illnesses/spectrum disorders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.