Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the age-III player mats...EXCELLENT! Now I'd like to laminate them, and I found out that my friendly neighborhood Staples will do this.

My question: Is it better to cut out the player mats first, then laminate them, thereby leaving an edge of lamination around them? Or is it just as good (or better) to laminate them first THEN cut them out, so there is no edge at all. If I do this, will the laminate end up peeling off?

So what is it, edge or no edge? And what mil laminate is pretty good? When I called I know they said they had 3-mil and 7-mil, and they may have had something between those, I don't remember.

Thanks for any and all input,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Personally, I prefer to trim the paper and leave a little lamination as the edge. 1) you will probably see less fraying and 2) it seems to be less sharp on the edges but maybe that is just some wierd psychological thing I have. And you can also take nail clippers and get rid of the laminated corners (to round them) without cutting into the paper.

As far as what mil, no clue. I jus tuse what is at work. i assume the 3 mil is the standard laminating that will still keep the mat flexible. The 7 mil is probably stiff like a credit card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've laminated cards and player aids and much much prefer cutting right to the edge. I doubt you'll get any fraying unless you pick at them...and have only had a few playing cards fray after heavy use and many riffle shuffles. I also prefer matt laminate for such things as player aids to stop reflection from lighting, and it feels nicer...but that's just a matter of preference.

wiz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A cheaper alternative to laminating the player mats would be to place them in sheet protectors. I've done that with my copy of AoE3, as well as in several other games, and it works pretty well. It won't look quite as nice but when the AoE3 expansion comes in June (hopefully), I expect there will be updated player mats available for download to include stuff from the expansion and that'll save you the cost of laminating again...you can just slide out the old mats and slide in the new...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
I downloaded the age-III player mats...EXCELLENT! Now I'd like to laminate them, and I found out that my friendly neighborhood Staples will do this.

My question: Is it better to cut out the player mats first, then laminate them, thereby leaving an edge of lamination around them? Or is it just as good (or better) to laminate them first THEN cut them out, so there is no edge at all. If I do this, will the laminate end up peeling off?

So what is it, edge or no edge? And what mil laminate is pretty good? When I called I know they said they had 3-mil and 7-mil, and they may have had something between those, I don't remember.

Thanks for any and all input,
jrbentley

It depends on the kind of lamination. For hot-lamination, the plastic needs to seal to itself; so you should trim your player aids, then laminate, then trim to final size -- leaving an edge of laminate. For cold-lamination, the laminate sticks to the paper, so you can trim afterwards -- and you can trim to the actual player aid size without leaving plastic on the edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a (somewhat) alternative, I would recommend investing in a hot laminator instead of paying Staples to do it. I have been using one that I got at Walmart for less than $30 and have laminated all sorts of player aids with it.

I think that I always leave a little bit of plastic around the edges. Whether it is necessary or not I am not sure, but I'll trust the post above that says it is.

There are a lot of nifty player aids here on the Geek that are enhanced by being laminated. Plus, it's fun to crank the laminator up.

I also picked up a paper cutter on clearance at Office Depot that does a really good job at trimming the edges of whatever I've printed out.

Once you do the laminating, you'll get hooked and having your own laminator is a lot less expensive than having each job done individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
I also picked up a paper cutter on clearance at Office Depot that does a really good job at trimming the edges of whatever I've printed out.

Yes, get your own -- very useful! We have hot and cold -- check out Xyron, which not only has cartridges to laminate but also to laminate/sticker. It's great!

As for the cutter: be sure to get a rotary trimmer, not those big hatchety things; you'll have much smoother, more accurate cuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late I know, but another vote for buying your own laminator. I have all sorts of player mats, aides, expansions etc etc. only a few places have I reverted to "sticky back plastic". Some medium weight card and glue sticks before laminating give nice results as well.

Normally I trim paper/card then laminate and trim again...usually so the things fit into the game box.

The tip on rotary trimmer noted...must get one...scissors are OK but I cannot cut straight at all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.