Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, now that we have a new database, will we soon see (I hope)...

"Search within this GeekList"
"GeekList RSS feed"
"GeekList comments RSS feed"
"Only my GeekBuddies can add items to this list"
"Only our Guild members can add items to this list"
"Link this GeekList to our Guild"
"Display this GeekList as a title list, 100 (or 1,000) entries per page"
"Link this GeekList to that forum thread"
"Run a poll within this GeekList"

and probably more nifty things I can't think of right now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Seems it wouldn't be used all that much.
Quote:
"GeekList RSS feed"
I wonder how many people (as a percent of all members) actually use RSS feeds. I wonder how many even know how they could use such--I sure don't.
Quote:
Bad idea. That's like thumbing your nose at the rest of BGG ("Nanny nanny boo boo, I can post but not you!")
Quote:
People still use guilds?
Quote:
Now, this is a good idea. Eliminate the image and user avatar and all that fru-fru and just get a huge list of single-spaced game titles that you can click on to get to the entry--like a table of contents.
Quote:
OK, but I wouldn't push for it soon. There is so much else to do.
Quote:
"Run a poll within this GeekList"
It would be nice if polls worked properly in geek lists and if you could just add them on the fly. Also, they need to fit into geek lists better, without all that scrolling after you've filled one in. Best of all, there should be a way to have a POLL LINK, where you say [polllink=1234] and by clicking on that icon, the actual poll pops up in an alternate window, so it doesn't encumber the actual geek list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
TheCat wrote:
Seems it wouldn't be used all that much.

Try to find the entry for Roads and Boats in the GameStorm Math Trade geeklist. Is it on page 27? Load page, view page, no, load page 26, scroll down page, no, load page 25...

Randy Cox wrote:
Quote:
"GeekList RSS feed"
I wonder how many people (as a percent of all members) actually use RSS feeds. I wonder how many even know how they could use such--I sure don't.

You don't use a feature, so nobody else should have it or ask for it either. Thanks.

Based on discussion in the various RSS bugs threads, a significant fraction of the BGG population uses RSS.

Randy Cox wrote:
Quote:
Bad idea. That's like thumbing your nose at the rest of BGG ("Nanny nanny boo boo, I can post but not you!")

Totally not the intention of the request. I can already prevent people from adding items to my GeekList, and I'm *not* thumbing my nose at others when I do so, I'm just maintaining control over something I created. I just want to extend this functionality to *open up* my locked GeekLists to a slightly larger community without opening them up to the entire BGG population.

Randy Cox wrote:
Quote:
People still use guilds?

Yes, many of us do, despite the fact that you obviously don't.

Randy Cox wrote:
Quote:
OK, but I wouldn't push for it soon. There is so much else to do.

Did I say "make all these top priority?" No, I did not. I just asked if they were planned and suggested they could be added to the feature want list.

Part of the gist of this suggestion is that once, years back, Aldie said he was going to integrate GeekList code into the forum code. I am hoping that the recent database redesign will facilitate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Do people still use guilds?"
I just got 5 friends to sign up so we could start one for our gaming group.

RSS feeds rule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Try to find the entry for Roads and Boats in the GameStorm Math Trade geeklist. Is it on page 27? Load page, view page, no, load page 26, scroll down page, no, load page 25...
I agree. When you have one of those monster geek lists, it's tough. Of course, outside of math trades, this happens about twice a year. And your table of contents idea covers this.
Quote:
You don't use a feature, so nobody else should have it or ask for it either. Thanks.
No. I'm saying not many others use it, either. Several months ago, I did a poll asking which features of BGG the community uses. As I recall, RSS feeds were down there in the dungeon along with stuff like GeekQuestions.Edit: Found it. Of the 42 BGG features I asked for opinions of, RSS Feeds came in first (by a long ways) in the "I haven't heard of this feature" ratings. Over 63% of BGGers don't even know what it is. The next two closest obscure features were Online Games and GeekChat, each with around 53% of people knowing nothing of them.
Quote:
Based on discussion in the various RSS bugs threads, a significant fraction of the BGG population uses RSS.
But that's preaching to the choir. You won't find the non-RSS masses hanging out on those threads.
Quote:
Totally not the intention of the request. I can already prevent people from adding items to my GeekList, and I'm *not* thumbing my nose at others when I do so, I'm just maintaining control over something I created. I just want to extend this functionality to *open up* my locked GeekLists to a slightly larger community without opening them up to the entire BGG population.
While you may use it responsibly, there are a lot of others who won't. And then we'll have one of those no-tell rules (like with kill lists) where you can't even mention posting on a restricted geek list, as that'll cause hard feelings.
Quote:
Yes, many of us do, despite the fact that you obviously don't.
Actually, I do use guilds. I just know that most comments around here (and the activity of guilds) seems to indicate I'm in the minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy, arguments based on "not many people use / know about that feature" don't hold a lot of water with me. Not many people play / know about modern board games either.

Aside from that, it's not like I'm asking for the moon here. I'm just asking if Aldie et al are planning to extend an existing feature of the site to GeekLists in the near future - something Aldie already said he planned to do a couple of years ago. By extension, I'm suggesting that I would appreciate it if the feature is extended.

In regard to the responsible use of private-addition GeekLists, we already have private-addition GeekLists. If they were going to be used irresponsibly, it would have already happened. I just want the ability to partially open up my private-addition GeekLists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I went and found your poll.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2457040

It says that 63.3% of respondents say they never used it. It does not say 63.3% never heard of the feature, as you claimed.

I note that 9.1% of respondents rated RSS feeds 6+ on your ten point scale. And 5.1% of respondents to the preceding poll in the thread said they would significantly miss RSS feeds if they were removed.

I admit it is a niche audience, but it's not as bad as you made it out to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One I'd LOVE to see is 'sort by thumbs, ascending' & 'sort by thumbs, descending' options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
So I went and found your poll.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2457040

It says that 63.3% of respondents say they never used it. It does not say 63.3% never heard of the feature, as you claimed.
My bad. I was checking my results post and somehow used the word "Never heard of." This is actually worse if they know if the existence and then choose never to use it. My point is, as you noted, it's niche.
Quote:
I note that 9.1% of respondents rated RSS feeds 6+ on your ten point scale.
And over 11 percent rank it in the bottom two segments (1 and "Hate It").

But that's fine. I realize that people want niche issues worked on. I'd love to have more features in GeekQuestions, Polls, and even GeekLists. I have just noticed that -- as in all businesses -- the needs of the many get more attention than the needs of the few. And if he's gonna work on something, I figure I might as well beg for the big ticket items in areas others might care about, rather than harping on him fixing up little areas I enjoy with very few others.

After all, he keeps working on this needless RPGGEEK thing even though I don't want it. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am all hands for the Poll option in Geeklists...

Making them in regular threads and copying into the Geeklist is a bit tedious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well that was onix-pected.
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
TheCat wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/41033/item/903853#item9038...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ordago wrote:
TheCat wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/41033/item/903853#item9038...

Sweet.

I love GreaseMonkey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.