Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I have a question regarding the Advanced rules.

3.1 Order Cards states… “The command cards can be used for any unit or general in the sector indicated” which seems straight forward enough however, the rule 5.1 Battle Rounds states… “If the roll die shows a ‘general’, you can move any General or unit with a general attached anywhere on the map.

Does this supersede the 3.1 rule?

In other words, irrespective of the sector card played, if I roll a general symbol, I can order a General anywhere on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the two rules are working together.

Not counting the Auto order cards, you both play a card, you both roll 5 or 6 dice (depending on the card) and, in most cases, you move units that correspond to the dice-- infantry on the dice moves an infantry IN THAT SECTION. Note that if you roll a flag, you can move any unit IN THAT SECTION, and the leader roll gives you the freedom to move a leader anywhere on the board-- which is a very good thing, since you might not have a leader in that section.

So I don't think it's "supersede" but just an addition to the concept. They've chosen to make it so your rolls are unlikely to be "useless." Mind you, if you have no cav in the section and roll cav, you're stuck. But rolls that are not unit specific-- leader and flag-- become something even more flexible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin.

Thanks for the reply.
I can see how and why they may want to develop a 'wild-card' concept to mitigate the luck of the roll but the rule in 3.1 clearly 'limits' a general symbol to active a general, or unit attached to a general, in that section.

I'm happy to play either way and like the 'freedom' afforded by the 'anywhere on the board' indicated by the Battle Round rule.

An official reply would be nice - do Gio Games personnel frequent this folder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Desadier
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mb
Rule 3.1 is stating that a card that activates the General, then the General must be used in that sector as shown on the card.

5.1 concerns the throwing of the dice and having a General symbol shown, that allows the General to be used anywhere on the game board.

Hope that helps

JD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really John, since 3.1 is saying you can (depending on the roll) activate any units and/or generals only in the section played on the card but 5.1 says a general symbol rolled allows a general anywhere on the board, to be activated - do you see the contradiction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Ravasi
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
TommieSL wrote:
Hello.

I have a question regarding the Advanced rules.

3.1 Order Cards states… “The command cards can be used for any unit or general in the sector indicated” which seems straight forward enough however, the rule 5.1 Battle Rounds states… “If the roll die shows a ‘general’, you can move any General or unit with a general attached anywhere on the map.

Does this supersede the 3.1 rule?

In other words, irrespective of the sector card played, if I roll a general symbol, I can order a General anywhere on the map?

Yes, rule 5.1 supersede 3.1 rule.
If I roll a general symbol, I CAN order a General anywhere on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.