Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently taken Eisenbach Gap out again and have been refamiliarizing myself with the game in preparation for some contests against Randy. It's not a difficult system, and can be quite enjoyable.

However, I've been playing and replaying the second scenario, The Defense of Klappebruck, trying to find a way for the Soviets to win. It shouldn't be that hard...

The set-up is as follows: the Americans have 7 platoons to defend the various towns around the Eisenbach Gap. The Soviets have 15 platoons to take them with. You'd imagine that numerical advantage would be enough to take the day, but it hasn't proved so.

The problem stems from the first turn: the Soviets activate first. Unfortunately, they are off-board, so they can't use artillery to guard their entrance. The south-eastern corner of the board that they enter from is in a nice little tight group that most of the Americans can fire on: five of their platoons have pretty handy anti-AFV weapons. So they do, and - most likely - four or five Soviet platoons are disrupted or destroyed.

The Soviets don't have the ability to fire when moving, so they just have to move into these exposed positions and hope like crazy their HQ isn't destroyed. If it is, they've already lost.

What makes it a real problem is that the Americans can activate twice more in that first turn to the Soviet one time; if the activations have the Yanks going twice before the Soviets move again... it's all over.

Even in the times the Soviets have been lucky and activated before the Yanks, their HQ has been hit and they're all "out of command" and sit their like stunned pigeons, waiting for the slaughter.

Meanwhile, the long-range fire from the hill continues.

This produces a battlefield something like this:

I think there's a way for the infantry to move up first and take out the American positions, but it hasn't happened yet. In the game pictured, the two infantry units that were taken out both (by die roll) had the Saggers they needed to take out the tanks. That was unlucky, but it goes with the general way this scenario has been hating the Soviets.

There was a time when the Soviets made it past the Americans... but then the Americans just rushed south and recaptured Rumwald. Life isn't fair!

More when I can work out if the Soviets can win this scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thorne
United States
Valley Park
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if the Americans set up in defensive positions in Eisenbach near the northern end of the map, it lets the Soviets get on the board in good condition and then do a mass assault, which ends with lots of dead Americans. I do agree that if the Americans set up well so they can hit every Soviet unit as it moves, then life gets hard for the vodka lovers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Price
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
May I make a suggestion:

WarPac infantry, with HQ, move into Rumwald and nearby forest, with as many infantry units as possible (2 per hex). Meanwhile move up some BMPs behind the town, out of view of death. This may leave some units left off table in the meantime, but this doesn't matter, as their not needed immediately.

The Yanks will have a tough time shooting up all the de-bused infantry.

Next WarPac activation use arty to cover an advance up the eastern flank and where possible use Saggers in Rumwald (or adajacent) to give some stick back.

Must agree, foward defence by the Americans creates big problems for the WarPac player.

Steven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you ever get back to this one, Merric? I quickly arrived at an American setup almost identical to yours, with exactly the same results. Placing the Americans' long-range units on the hill denies the Soviets any safe approach, and the M1 and infantry will devastate anything that gets too close to them. Just getting the Soviet HQ into position to call in artillery support is difficult. I put the M1 in the same forest as you did, but placed the HQ there as well. That unit can then lie in wait for the Soviet HQ - so even if it only enters the southernmost city hex it will still have to survive a 6d4 shot.

I'm going to play around a bit more with it, as I'm not yet convinced there's not a solution lurking out there. But it seems really hard on the Sovs if the American takes a forward defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so... at least, I don't remember it. I have a bunch of wargames I've been intending to get back to, but life's been pretty busy of late!

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally understand that. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.