Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] [View All]
Mark Eddy
United Kingdom
Padworth
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is the standard rule, to start the game with no options or do people prefer to have options at the start.....?

Years ago, we used to play that everybody got deal 3 options and chose to keep one.
But there again, we also played that all options were secret until you decidied to wield it, usually with unexpected and devastating consequences.

Just about to purchase my own copy to play with new group of virgin gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Standard rule is starting with no options, but starting with something is a relatively common house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We normally play "draw 3, keep 2" for the start of the game. It creates more interaction between bots... and for us, that's the best reason to play!

I like the idea of keeping the option card hidden till used. We've never done that and I can see how it would really add to the game. Thanks for the suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Numpty wrote:

But there again, we also played that all options were secret until you decidied to wield it, usually with unexpected and devastating consequences.

This sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely start with at least one option card per bot. It's a house rule, but it makes things more interesting from the start.

Alternatively, another good house rules is to make ALL repair spots distribute option cards -- not just the hammer+wrench spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely let everyone start with at least one option. Also, and I'm pretty sure that this was an official variant in the RoboRally: Armed and Dangerous rulebook, it's fun to deal out a number of options equal to the number of players in the game to each flag location. Then, as each player touches a flag, they can look through the pile of options and take one.

We also play that you can choose either repair or option on a wrench or any combination of the two on a double wrench.

I like the secrecy rule. We may have to try that one. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Eddy
United Kingdom
Padworth
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glad I could add something on my first ever posting......!

Obviously, options like shields, turret direction etc would have to be declared prior to movement as they are direction based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also play with at least an option per robot at the start of the game. We also put a set of options at each flag, one for each player, which you get when you touch the flag.

But we use a little twist: If I touch the flag, the others may have a look at the stack of options, and choose the option I got.

This way the leaders will get the worst options and the trailing players the best. Which is a good idea to fight the runaway leader troubles.

JeVo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, when I play we use the standard rules - no options to start with. It can be a little unbalanced if one person starts with RoboCopter or Mechanical Arm, and someone else starts with Abort Switch or Conditional.

But yes, starting with an option is a common variant. Other ways to increase option use are the board with the Chop Shops (exchange/reload and option on any phase, take an option on phase 5), and of course, Radioactive Waste (only available in the Radioactive expansion - take an option and a point of damage on every phase you're in it).

And may I humbly suggest my "Standard Equipment" variant(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of:
Everyone draws three and chooses one to apply to their robot. They then choose one of the remaining two to pass to the player on their left.
Then they choose one of their new two to apply and the third is discarded.
Begin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.