Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So I went to a World Baseball Classic game on Sunday. I usually don't watch baseball, but I have a bunch of Japanese friends and they wanted to go see Japan play against Cuba before they have to return to Japan. The game was pretty good, but one thing struck me as very funny. I was watching the clips in between innings and they showed some clips of the US team playing. That's when I noticed it. Their jersey:

Is it just me, or is the 'S' in "USA" made of bacon? I pointed it out to my friends and they agreed. It definitely says "U bacon A" on that jersey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because the team sizzles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Spielfreak wrote:

Or just the opposite. I hear there is talks of the USA forfeiting the rest of the tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
Spielfreak wrote:

Or just the opposite. I hear there is talks of the USA forfeiting the rest of the tournament.

More specifically, because so many American players are injured, manager Davey Johnson told a reporter that if he ran out of position players, he would forfeit the game, rather than stick a star player in an unfamiliar position, risking more injury.

It wouldn't necessarily mean elimination, unless it happened in an elimination game... but Johnson said that he would forfeit the game, and thus the tournament, in that situation anyway.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/more/03/16/wb...

Quote:
The injury-plagued Americans were so short-handed Sunday against the Netherlands that backup catcher Brian McCann played left field in the ninth. Asked during the team's batting practice Monday who his third catcher would have been, Johnson said he wouldn't have even tried to put a player in that position for fear of injury -- even if it meant elimination.

"I damn sure wouldn't want to be lynched or hung up in some city if I put (Kevin) Youkilis behind the dish or something," Johnson said, referring to the Red Sox first baseman. "I would definitely had to gone out and said we had to forfeit this ballgame. Yeah, I'd forfeit it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
I hear there is talks of the USA forfeiting the rest of the tournament.

They quite possibly only have one game left...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
backup catcher Brian McCann played left field in the ninth.

I loved the commentator's take on that: "He's telling Granderson: 'I'm going to stand here, and you take everything else.'"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.