Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James McHaffey
United States
Rancho Santa Fe
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear all the time that we live in the "Golden Age" of boardgames because the Internet has brought a very fragmented community much closer together. Production quality and availability of small print run games is better than ever. Game designs in general are far superior because of the astouding rate of information exchange as compared to the 70's and 80's. But is the net effect really a good thing? I'm starting to feel like gamers are developing chronic ADD because of the plethora of choices available to them.

My gaming group gets together once a week and every week they want to play a different game than the week before. It's gotten out of control lately - every week a new game. We're heading into late March and we haven't played the same game twice. We might have consecutive plays on the same evening for quicker games, but the same game hasn't hit the table twice on seperate nights. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS! I've voiced my opinion on it but my complaints seem to have fallen on deaf ears. This week another poll, and another game I've never even heard of.

I'm usually terrible at games the first time I play them. I have no idea what is going on until I've made some gruesome mistakes. Then usually on the second play, I start to figure out what I should have done. It's at that moment that the light bulb goes on that I really start to enjoy a game. Then I want to read the rules to catch the subtleties and nuances that escaped me on the first couple plays. I also go to the BGG game page to learn about strategies. That's about the instant that the game gets shelved and we move on to the next flavor of the week.

I enjoy the social aspects of getting together with a gaming group but I'm starting to lose interest. I don't have that much free time and I'm beginning to feel like I'd be happier skipping our meetups and instead seek out opponents online and play the games I actually want to play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I think establishing a policy where each person in turn picks what you are going to play next is the best thing to do.

When it is your turn, pick something you want to play. Even if it is... gasp! ... something you've played before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game more often! If you play 4 times/week, you're far more likely to play the same game more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For us, it seems to be a bit of a cyclical thing.

I got a games night going about 2 1/2 years ago, when I moved into the core of the city, and could host a few of my friends. At that point, I had a pile of old games that I hadn't played in years, and a few new gmaes that I hadn't played yet. My friends also had a few games that they'd bring out from time to time... So, we'd play something new every week. Then I discovered the online BG community, including BGG, and I started buying more games. Sometimes we'd play something new, sometimes we'd play an older game.

After a while, my buying habits settled down a bit, and we had a good selection, so we'd cycle through the games we had, depending what people were interested in, and how many players we had.

Lately, I've started to do some game trading, so we've had something new to play the last few weeks. Once we get through those, we'll be going back to the stack again for a bit. (Of course, some of the games I've been trading for are games that occasional attendees have brought out, that we want another crack at...)

We still don't play the same game 2 weeks in a row (except fillers - and Dominion might have come out in 2 consecutive weeks), but coming back to a game that everyone's played before means a quicker set-up, and more efficient play...

If your games night is long enough, see if you can try a "one new one, one old one" approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Try to get more people into your group. If you have more than one game running at a time, you should be able to play a game more than once and it will still be new to some of the people playing.

A win win, you can play games more than once and others can keep playing once if that is what they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a new gaming group. I also like to replay games several times to really learn them. There are lots of people like that if you just look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Savino
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your frustration because a lot of new games are introduced in my gaming group every week and it doesn't give you enough opportunity to get a grasp of the games to become any good at them. I, like yourself, take a couple of games to get the hang of them. It would be nice to play some games more than once every couple of months to get then hang of them because I like almost every game that we play (new or not).

One my buddies in our gaming group set up a guild here on the geek so that others in our group can schedule a game they might want to play on a given week. My buddy, who's house we gather every Wednesday, set up an Age of Steam night on the last day of every month. This allows people who want to play AoS to know ahead of time what will be played and others to play something else if they are not interested in AoS that particular night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to play a lot of new games and I will only play a game once or twice before shelving it for quite a while. I love discovering first the basic then the more complex strategies. Once I and the other players are familiar with the game and we're just trying to eek out a shred more efficiency it's not as fun to me anymore.

I can play a game a few times and throw it on the shelf for six months or a year and get some but not all of that newness back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case it would be to justify my addiction to buying new games. I feel like I can't buy a new game with x number of games left unplayed, so I try to play it to reduce x, and then I don't feel guilty about buying or trading for another game,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
I prefer to play a lot of new games and I will only play a game once or twice before shelving it for quite a while. I love discovering first the basic then the more complex strategies. Once I and the other players are familiar with the game and we're just trying to eek out a shred more efficiency it's not as fun to me anymore.

I can play a game a few times and throw it on the shelf for six months or a year and get some but not all of that newness back.

I'm going to venture that this is more true of Euros, especially efficiency engines, than it is of wargames or AT games. For the latter two, the thematic experience coupled with the greater element of luck means that repeat playings of these games can still be very rewarding. I would think a low/no luck game played amongst the same group of gamers would indeed become a rote exercise before long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I would think a low/no luck game played amongst the same group of gamers would indeed become a rote exercise before long.

Yeah! Like... Chess! Man, that game has no replay value at all. If only it had a cool theme, then maybe someone would want to play it more than once or twice.

-----

Okay, okay, I agree that theme can help you want to play a game again, but it gets really old to hear ameritrash fans gloat and crow about their games and trash talk on euros as dry, boring junk. Frankly my AT friend, there's way more replayability in a euro like Agricola or El Grande then there is ever going to be in something like Heroscape ... replayability that matters, that gives players a chance to show their skill, not just hashing through the same old story again, hoping you roll well this time.

Replayability isn't a feature of ameritrash or euros. It's a feature of good games. It can come from theme, but more often it comes from having a strategically interesting game that highlights the player's choices. And there are plenty of those in both genres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
I would think a low/no luck game played amongst the same group of gamers would indeed become a rote exercise before long.

Yeah! Like... Chess! Man, that game has no replay value at all. If only it had a cool theme, then maybe someone would want to play it more than once or twice.

Nah, not even a cool theme could salvage that mess of a game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
It is not an uncommon problem I think.
I am guilty of it for certain. In my case I play miniatures with a group of guys, and we rotate running games fairly often. But I have been gaming for so long, and have so many cool rules I would like to introduce them to, that I seldom get round to playing the same game very often.
On the other hand, the rest of the group liked one of the games I introduced them to that they have been playing it once a week for almost a year. I like the game too, but can't stomach it that much lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be unable to function in your game group. I end up trying a lot of new games, but I can't make that work unless I'm developing my affinity for the ones I've tried and liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Our group is considering thematic wargaming - picking a theme of the week and playing a game about it.

My inclination is to look for 'This Day in History' to focus on.

This past weekend we had the anniversary of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, the Ides of March, and the end of the Third Battle of Kharkov.

We played Terrible Swift Sword.

As you can see, we have not gone too far with it

We are trying to go into a more predictable 'What are we playing this weekend?' mode, but it is till chaotic.

After nearly 2 years since the EWR came into being, we have settled down to some extent - some things just naturally precipitate out of the fog.

However, we have to deal with Chance - maybe someone can't make it or we have found yet another gamer - we tend to defer to the new guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Shelton
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expressed a similar concern in this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/380165 and various geeks provided some good advice. You may want to check out what they had to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jenkins
United States
Henderson
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally feel your pain. My gaming group only gets together every two weeks to play, and I've been a total new game whore buying a game every 10 days or so over the past year.

However, my group still plays the same game two sessions in a row, because, like you, we want to develop something of a feel for the game and whether or not I even really "like" a game is difficult to judge after one stilted play (with multiple rulebook references, etc.).

Obviously, this reduces us to a *maximum* of 12 new games a year. And this does not take into account that in our complex world, our game days end up canceled about once every 6 weeks.

So, I collect three tiers of games. Tier one, the hardcore Ameritrash, is what I play with my guys -- Arkham Horror, Battlestar Galactica, Fury of Dracula, etc.

The second tier consists of rich-but-low-overhead games I can play with my wife or any friend who comes over for dinner, etc. -- Mr. Jack, Pandemic, etc.

The third tier is games I can play with all of the above AND my kids -- including games from Monsters Menace America to Sorry Sliders.

In general, I get to play tiers two and three a lot more than tier one, but the weight of the games kind of works for that approach. I would love to be able to game with my geek buds every week, but I make the most out of what I've got. It does, however, have me look at games I really enjoy, like Fury of Dracula, and lament that I haven't played since October ... but I really want to get DOOM on the table this weekend, so the saga continues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.