Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see what's everyone's honest opinion about cheating while playing boardgames, as well as hearing your reaction when such thing occours.

Poll
1. Have you ever cheated while playing boardgames(picking up an extra card, snatching an extra victory point marker...)
Yes, I do it all the time
Yes, I cannot withstand the temptation when I am at the verge of loosing
Yes, but not every often
Yes, but not anymore it only happend when I was younger
No, but I have felt the temptation strongly.
No, why on earth would I do that?!
2. What's your reaction if you see someone cheating?
He's out of the game and won't be invited again to play again, EVER!
You point it out loudly and demand a good explanation of his/hers behavior
You point it out but sofly, hoping it was simply a mistake
You don't say anything but you talk about it afterwards face to face
You don't say anything but won't play with that person anymore
You accept it as you also cheat
      216 answers
Poll created by victoryzine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You point it out loudly and demand a good explanation of his/hers behavior

I hope the people who answered this way are kidding. While I would never cheat, I often make stupid mistakes. They are at least as likely to hurt me as to help me, but if someone else notices me breaking the rules to my advantage I hope they point it out so I can fix it. However, if their first reaction is to accuse me of cheating and "demand a good explanation", I going to get annoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Georgia
msg tools
Doesn't it depend on the game...one of the first rules of Munchkin is that you can cheat as long as you don't get caught devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and then there's the cheating variant of Illuminati. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiggyZambo wrote:
I hope the people who answered this way are kidding. While I would never cheat, I often make stupid mistakes. They are at least as likely to hurt me as to help me, but if someone else notices me breaking the rules to my advantage I hope they point it out so I can fix it. However, if their first reaction is to accuse me of cheating and "demand a good explanation", I going to get annoyed.

Mistakes are a different category entirely. We're talking cheating here. It's usually not that hard to tell one from the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you left out the option.... when caught cheating....

You point it out and ridicule the person for the rest of the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
Mistakes are a different category entirely. We're talking cheating here. It's usually not that hard to tell one from the other.

The choice "You point it out but sofly, hoping it was simply a mistake" implies that we don't know for sure whether it was a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any point to cheating. If you cheat, you aren't the real winner, so what do you gain? Plus, it's only a game, so who cares if you lose? I think the hour or two (or three) of fun I have during the game far exceeds the minute or two of joy I feel if I win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second question, "It depends" would have been my answer had it been available.

Is it someone at a con demo that I'll never see again, then I don't care. snore
Is it one of my son's friends that doesn't know any better? Talk to him or his parents later.
Is it one of my kids? Kick them out of the family Talk about it later
Is it a buddy? Loudly accuse him of cheating (only works because none of them would, but they might make a goof for which they'd be teased unmercifully for a long time to come. devil )

I will say if it wasn't a mistake and it occurs after a talk, I don't play with them any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group we proclaim it loudly, mainly because we assume nobody is intentionally cheating, so then we mock and ridicule the "cheater" .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
DrT11 wrote:
Doesn't it depend on the game...one of the first rules of Munchkin is that you can cheat as long as you don't get caught devil

It's not cheating if it's part of the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
As with all polls this one limits the answers based on the information the poll taker is looking for.

Do I cheat? Yes and No.

"Huh?" you ask. It's simple, when I play games in a tournament, with kids or just a friendly game with friends and family, no I don't knowingly cheat. I've made mistakes as we all have but not intentionally. So for the purpose of this poll I suppose the answer is NO.

Yet on the other hand, I have a couple of gaming groups which enjoy player conflict, as well as the behavior generally attributed to male athletes “rubbing it in”. Within these groups there are no holds barred, trash talking, cheating, intimidation, etc.. The main rule is if you get caught you suffer, if you get away with it the others are suckers anyways.

It may sound a bit harsh but we are all good friends and its all in good fun. The competition is fierce, even a game of Uno can turn into hell fire boiling, drop of sweat itching your nose, forehead vein popping, tension mounted stare down of epic proportions all to determine who get to ‘squeak the shark’, (A story for another day).

Point being is during these game sessions, YES, I as well as the others all cheat if they can get away with it. And I’m not referring to games which allow cheating within the rules. I’m talking commandment breaking cheating like taking money out of the bank, or better out of another player’s pile, when you’re not supposed to. Pushing victory point counters forward a few spaces, adding attack or defense modifiers incorrectly to your advantage, and all the other typical forms of cheating as well as other very creative ways of doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Q. What's your reaction if you see someone cheating?

A. none of the above.

We all laugh at it, say busted, and make him take back the move. By making light of it we don't get into the issue of it is was intentional or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonPeon wrote:
E Decker wrote:

The choice "You point it out but sofly, hoping it was simply a mistake" implies that we don't know for sure whether it was a mistake.

Actually I'd say its much more likely not to be a cheat. With Euros there are often reasons why people get an extra VP/gold/doubloon/token/good due to a special card or skills or resource or building they own. I commonly see people say "Shouldn't that be x units rather than x+1?" and almost always the answer is that the 'cheater' just has a better knowledge of their position than the other person.

Assume positive intent....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My rule of thumb is to initially assume positive intent.
If someone plays a move that appears a cheating I'll ask for clarification.
Next, if someone persists in suspicious actions it depends on who they are. More stringent the better I know them.

If I know (proven/caught red handed) a cheater I will avoid playing with them if possible. In a severe case I would seek to have them removed from the group.

That said we often joking say things like "oh you cheater, there's no way you could have done that well"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to cheat at monopoly all the time when i was 10. Now that i've grown up, i play the games to have fun and spend some good time with awesome people. I like to win, but it's secondary to having a good time. A cheater would be ostracized in my game groups. Mistakes happen though, especially when playing new games. Trying to learn a new set of rules for a wargame in a week or less isn't exactly easy, but we like the thrill of trying out new things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.