BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Need suggestions: Best 2-player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvia Vellino

Louisiana
msg tools
Hi -

I just got my boyfriend into gaming by teaching him Settlers of Catan. We are going on a trip soon and I'd like to introduce him to more games...they would need to be 2-player games...any suggestions?

(I have taught him Carcassonne but he didn't like it very much.)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Carcassonne to be pretty dull 2 player. Good for your boyfriend!

My favorite 2 player game recently is Biblios, but that is from a very small publisher and hard to get.

Easier to get good two player games:
Samurai (This is a big box game, if you need to pack it maybe it isn't the best choice)
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper (Also hard to find, sadly)
San Juan
Goa (This one is pretty complex, but very good with two players. And hard to find at the moment, but a reprint is coming soon I think.)
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (This is great, but the current edition has a big box; if you can find the old "non-deluxe" edition, it comes in a very small box and will fit into luggage very easily)

Hope one or more of these helps you out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi sylvia. Welcome to the geek. First off, this is a pretty popular topic for geeklists around here. I recommend plugging "2-player" into a geeklist search and see what you come up with. Here are a few to get you started:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/40364

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/40050

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39939

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38849

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38732

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38377

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/36002

As for more specific suggestions, can you give us a better idea as to the sorta games your boyfriend does like?

-E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you've hit a rich seam here. Try these 2 geeklists as well as the ones above:

The Best Games for 2 Players
Ultimate 2-Player Game Battle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to look at some abstract games like Ingenious: Travel Edition or Blokus Duo. These travel well and my husband and I really enjoy them.

For card based games, Lost Cities or Balloon Cup are good starter options to try. Citadels is also fun.

Have a good trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvia Vellino

Louisiana
msg tools
Thanks all! Very useful. My bf is a new gamer - so the only game he likes so far is Settlers. (And it's nearly the only game he has ever played.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To Mega Therion
United States
flag msg tools
badge
No, no no no. No, no. No, sir. I don't know what kinda vibe you think you got off me but I don't play that way. I'm not that way!
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roma! Andiamo, andiamo, andiamo! Definately one of my all-time favorites. Or Jambo is an excellent 2-player. There are also abstract-based games such as YINSH or DVONN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Jambo, Battle Line, Hive, or Mr. Jack. For something light and quick, but still fun and strategic, I second Ingenious: Travel Edition.

All those games come in small boxes, with the exception of Mr. Jack. When I travel, I actually take the game components out of their boxes, bag them, then put all the pieces and any folded game boards and instruction manuals in a larger ziplock bag. Saves a load of space, keeps my game boxes from being crushed in luggage, and the bagging protects the components well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanghaien
Roma
Ubongo: Duel
Ingenious: Travel Edition

All highly portable, easy to learn and very enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive

Portable, sturdy, fast, and fun!
Recommended, though relatively expensive expansion:

Hive: The Mosquito

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try Schotten Totten/Battle line. It's basically the same game so check out which of these games is available or which theme you like more. It is a light fun game with strategy elements in it.

A two-player boardgame I really like playing with my girlfriend and with friends is Battlelore. Although this is not a game you are looking for to bring with you on your travels, I really recomment it to play when you are home again. ;) Make sure you look into the game first to see if you and your boyfriend will dig this kind of game. What I can say about this game is that it looks really geeky with all the miniatures, but the gameplay is really cool. I think it is (one of) the best two-player games I have played until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player games for newish gamers to take on a trip:

Aquädukt - has a similar feel to Settlers of Catan, especially with building the wells and canals, and rolling a d20 for house placement. Works well even if colorblind, and easy to teach, as everything is out in the open.

Jambo - a game about buying and selling wares at market. Very compact and portable, great rule book, and nice artwork.

Jenga - I'll through in a dexterity game for something different

Kalah - more abstract, but affordable, portable, and readily available

Mastermind - strategy that will lend itself well to Mr. Jack, or vice versa

Mille Bornes - card racing game

Pass the Pigs and Toss Up! - push your luck dice games, very portable

Quits - a bit like checkers or chinese checkers, with a twist (the board moves as well as the pieces)

Shuttles - a fun little maze game where the board moves

Skip-Bo - a card game where you build piles of 1-12, and Skip-bos are wild

Smart Mouth - like Scattergories, except you make words that start with the first letter and end with the second letter

To Court the King - a dice rolling game where combinations like 4 of a kind or a full house will get you cards with special powers

Yahtzee - oldie but goodie

ZÈRTZ - an abstract where there are multiple ways to win, and the board shrinks as the game progresses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.