Subject: Single player game recommendations?? :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donna Geer
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
Our family has recently been expanding our games and my 11 year old says he would like some games he can play by himself.

He loves carcassone, blink, iliad, memoir 44, tally ho etc , to give you some ideas. I tried to search for 1 player games & got an incredibly broad list. Thanks for your help.
:)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
If he can handle Memoir '44 he could probably play the family version of Agricola solo. My son is ten and likes both of those (and Carcassonne too). I think it gets pretty good ratings here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Many of the Co-op games solo well. I have played Pandemic that way and found it fun and challenging. I think Red November would be a good choice as well. Zombie in My Pocket is print and play and is a solo game with many variants. If he really wants a challenge, you could go old school with Chainsaw Warrior....maybe the toughest solo out there.

True
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Drabek
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing Race for the Galaxy solo with the expansion. Plays in an hour and feels like i'm playing against a live opponent. If your son can get the icons this is a great solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Geer
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
Those sound great! :) Any quicky, smaller dollar, filler games would be appreciated too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fisher
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gfam wrote:
Those sound great! Any quicky, smaller dollar, filler games would be appreciated too.

There are some free print and play games described in this contest, many of which would clearly work solo ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few I've enjoyed:

Black Box - A deduction game about figuring out where 4 balls are placed in a grid by firing "lasers" (imaginary, not real lasers) into the grid and observing their behavior. It comes with 80 set-ups to play solo. I don't think it's in print, but you can pick up a used copy pretty cheap.

Micropul - A tile-laying game, which may be especially good for him since he likes Carcassonne. This one is actually free. You can get the files on the game page and print off a copy.

Ebbe & Flut - A game of trying to get your cards across the playing area while the game tries to sweep them off to the side. Costs about $10.

Oceania - a game of exploring an uncharted area for new islands. You try to create a few big islands instead of many small ones, but if your island is too big you may not be able to finish it at all. Costs ~$15.

Al Cabohne - A game about planting and selling beans, while working against the bean mafia (no violence or anything inappropriate for an 11 y.o.). ~$15

Bowling Solitaire - Scored just like a regular game of bowling over 10 frames. This is played with a standard deck of cards, so basically it's free. It is much more fun than standard solitare, and you can actually see your scores go up as you get better at it. You can find the rules in the links section at the bottom of the game page.

I hope some of that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Free Trader is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine an 11-year old boy not loving Zombie in my Pocket. In fact, most 11yos I know would love making it, as well as playing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, Ingenious and Ghost Stories are the more expensive items here, but definitely worth a look. The others, I think, can be bought pretty inexpensively! We have tried ourselves to get Al Cabohne (looks pretty good), but I think it's out of print.
How about these games:
1.Dominion $28
2.IGOR: The Monster Making Game $10
3.San Juan(With the solitaire rules available here (read the posts especially by Steve Oliver and Chris Dorrell)http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/29904
$18
4.Zombie in my Pocket (I agree with others on this print and play)!
5.Bananagrams $15
6.Ingenious $27
7.Ghost Stories $32
8.Catan Dice Game $10

Also, I agree with others on Agricola and Pandemic!
In fact, for an 11 year old boy I would say you couldn't go wrong with Pandemic for $22 and Zombie in my pocket (free)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Geer
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
I just downloaded the computer micropul game to see how he likes it & when I get a new color cart . I print off zimp. I check out the others too more closely.
All the ideas are great! Keep em coming. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list of Print & Play games (mainly free) which points out which have a solo option:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/34664

Heres a list of the best games for 1 player (mainly not free!):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/32390
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Geer
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
Thank you for the ideas.

We made up micropul with 1 inch ceramic tiles. He loves it!! Zombie in the pocket he played once & hasn't touched again. He found it too tedious to learn & didn't like the aspect that you had to have a pad & pencil to keep track of the scoring.

Thanks for the other ideas. We'll keep checking them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.