Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a book that does a really good job of explaining some of the key battles in World War II with amazing pictures.

The link will take you to the blog I have for my Memoir '44 History Club and you can see the book and more info on it.

http://jewellmemoirclub.blogspot.com/2009/01/researching-wor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have a book on Pearl Harbour (that I bought in PH) that you could borrow. It has lots of pics...possibly a few maps. Kind of coffe table-ish.

Not exactly European though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan is pretty good for understanding the D-day scenarios included with the base game while also being an entertaining read. Written by a on-site war reporter for the Daily Telegraph. The movie based on the book is also pretty good but has the limits that a movie does, ie. not everything in the book can be included. Ryan also wrote A Bridge too Far about operation Market Garden which has game scenarios. A Bridge too Far was also made into a big budget movie in 1977. The books while focused on characters still give a very good outline of the actions in Memoir'44 scale.

My first reaction to playing Memoir'44 was that the designer must be a big fan of the movie based on the scenario picks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly the book you are looking for (I just picked it up from Half Price Books myself):

The Historical Atlas of World War II, by Alexander and Malcolm Swanston...

http://www.amazon.com/Historical-Atlas-World-War-II/dp/07858...

A coffee table book on World War II, with plenty of maps and pictures, but also a good, basic commentary on all major aspects of the war. I have plenty of more detailed historical books on the subject, but sometimes it's nice to just sit and page through a nice glossy book with great maps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
The Time-Life series, should be available at your local library if not in second hand bookstores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Normandy campaign, I recommend the Battle Zone Normandy books (Sutton Publishing). They're very recent, and include excellent coloured maps, historical narratives, and crisp photos. If you want to focus on the Canadian battles there are separate titles for Juno Beach, Battle for Caen, Road to Falaise, and Falaise Pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osprey have a lot of books about battles, campaign and so on.
That's what I use to read about specific battles such as Arnhem, D-Day........!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.