United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Pointe-du-Hoc: The Germans were quite dominant throughout the battle. The lone infantry unit out on the point prevented any Allied troops from making the ridge and ended up eliminating one and severely weakening another. The Allies then tried to push up on the cliffs on the other end of the battlefield and after several bloody turns of fighting were able to push out the Germans and score some medals. Unfortunately this took a heavy toll on the units, and another one fell to German fire before too long. After an aggressive push in the center, it looked as if the Germans might finally be at the breaking point, but they barely managed to hold out. The following turn they called in a Barrage to decimate a weakened Allied unit for the victory.

Axis 4 - Allies 2

Pointe-du-Hoc: The battle began heavily in the Germans favor. They quickly eliminated one of the approaching infantry and their artillery shelled anything that took the hill. The Allies decided the right may not be worth the effort and approached the left. After a battle that took forever (about 10 cards per side), the Allies finally eliminated the two German units. They pressed down in the center hoping to quickly knock two more off and go home happy. Unfortunately, the infantry in the bunker decided this was not to be and refused to die and massacred anything that came close. Finally the Allies were able to move In Their Finest Hour using their superior command to move a single infantry unit; apparently high command had no idea a battle was occurring. They were able to barely eliminate the last figure and claim victory. This battle was marked by a severe inability by either side to generate orders for the side the battle was on.

Allies 4 - Axis 3

Omaha Beach The Germans opened very strong with a first turn attack by the artillery, followed by a full Artillery Strike to quickly take three medals. After this the Allies struggled to gain any footing as the German artillery shelled the armored units and the infantry pushed back anyone who approached. The Allied was able to keep one armored unit intact long enough to break through at D-3 but they quickly fell to an Infantry assault. Fox group was completely useless and just kind of relaxed on the beach and soaked up some rays while their compatriots took heavy damage and tried to take the bluff. In the end, the Allies had no chance of overcoming the stalwart defense.

Axis 6 - Allies 1

Omaha Beach After the last attempt, the Allies decided they would try something a little different. This time they would aim to do even worse than last time. Again the German artillery decimated the Allied troops completely preventing any approach. Unlike last time, the Allied left made a valiant effort to take the beach, but managed to get wiped out pretty quickly by the lone infantry and supporting artillery. I really not sure how the Allies are expected to take this one as both times they were completely destroyed by the German artillery.

Axis 6 - Allies 0

Mont Mouchet This was a very interesting scenario. The Allies have improved maneuverability at the expense of weaker units, while the heavier German force has the power. To counteract this, their armored units are with two medals instead of one. The battle opened with a rapid advance by the Resistance forces to try and take control of a few forests to protect them from the German advance. This began well as they caused some casualties among the German forces. The German armor was stalled behind their lines as high command failed to alert them to operation. The French used this opportunity to try and take Mont Mouchet but were repulsed. The armor finally began to move, but one of the Resistance units infiltrated to damage one of the units. This was followed by what should have been a devastating display of artillery, but it managed to only land a single hit. And then a weak display of air superiority to finish off the whole debacle. Out of 9 dice, the Germans managed to land only two hits. The Germans maintained their advance and were able to slowly pick apart the Resistance forces and squeaked by with a victory a turn before they were annihilated .

Axis 4 - Allies 3

Mont Mouchet The French came to play this time and quickly pushed their left flank forward to harass the armored units from the trees. This paid off as they were able to slowly weaken the units and prevent any German response but to move the armor. This allowed the French center to move in to position to attack the advancing armor. Thanks to a helpful Barrage, the Resistance was able to eliminate the first of the armored units. Through heavy fighting they were able to weaken the German units in the center and eventually finished them off when the final armor proved to be too adept at staying away from the guerrilla attacks.

Allies 4 - Axis 1

Can any of the more experienced players tell me how would go about putting up a fight with the Allies in Omaha Beach? Both of the battles were massacres and I did not see anyway in which they could manage to overcome the German artillery. Maybe if they happened to have a Barrage or Air Power card early to eliminate one of the units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Omaha a couple of days ago and Axis won by a very narrow margin - 6-5, and was only one turn from losing 7-6 (I know because I played an extra turn just for fun and got two more medals for Allies)

I think Allies can win by just truding towards the towns on the center and left sections and not even engaging enemy units except to take a shot in passing. Tanks have the one little hole in each section they can go through. If you move all your units at once you give the Axis too many targets to shoot at and a couple will probably slip through to get to the medals on the towns.

IMHO, Allied shouldn't even bother with the right side - that Axis artillery unit is too ensconced to take down without suffering insurmountable losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
jedimusic wrote:
I just played Omaha a couple of days ago and Axis won by a very narrow margin - 6-5, and was only one turn from losing 7-6 (I know because I played an extra turn just for fun and got two more medals for Allies)

I think Allies can win by just truding towards the towns on the center and left sections and not even engaging enemy units except to take a shot in passing. Tanks have the one little hole in each section they can go through. If you move all your units at once you give the Axis too many targets to shoot at and a couple will probably slip through to get to the medals on the towns.

IMHO, Allied shouldn't even bother with the right side - that Axis artillery unit is too ensconced to take down without suffering insurmountable losses.

Interesting, I might try that approach next time I play this scenario. The two solo plays I did were both heavy on the Axis artillery and they had the orders to capitalize on it. If they didn't have all the artillery cards, it may have been a different battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.